Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 09-26-2001, 05:38 PM

Default New G4\'s and Unitor Midi Interface Problems?

Hi,
Is anyone experiencing USB communication errors between Emagic
Unitor/AMT8 midi boxes and new G4's?
I'm (using G4/867).
Can't seem to go 20 seconds without error. Unitor is directly into computer,
3 AMT8's chained. Have tried every conceivable ext. set.
Using in Logic and ProTools Mix Plus.

Thanks for any advice.
Old 09-26-2001, 11:16 PM

Default Re: New G4\'s and Unitor Midi Interface Problems?

No problems here with my Dual 800 and AMT8. It's all good...make sure you have all the latest AMT/Unitor drivers.
Old 09-27-2001, 01:31 PM

this may be nothing more than moral support, but i have a Unitor 8 mkII paralelled to a Unitor 8. they are connected via USB to my 9600 and it works flawlessly.

i am using the latest drivers.

however, my 867 G4 is due on friday, i'll let you know more when it arrives and we are using the same devices.

also, try disconnecting your chain. how does it work with only one device attatched?

are you using OMS? if so, have you got the most recent Unitor Family OMS Driver?

dss
Old 09-27-2001, 02:57 PM

thanks. No OMS. Same problem with
just one device. What a pain.
Old 09-27-2001, 08:11 PM

I sometimes have to cycle my chain of four AMT8's when I first boot up for the day, but otherwise, things work fine.

I did find out at the beginning that the first AMT8 in a chain needs to be rev. 2.04 firmware or later (otherwise the USB doesn't recognize it properly). Have you checked to see if your Unitor has the latest firmware?

Lee Blaske
Old 09-28-2001, 01:30 AM

Lee wrote:
>I did find out at the beginning that the >first AMT8 in a chain needs to be rev. 2
>.04 firmware or later (otherwise the USB >doesn't recognize it properly). Have you >checked to see if your Unitor has the >latest firmware?\

Can you update firmware yourself?
Emagics site seems to be down presently...

best
janne a.
Old 09-28-2001, 06:47 AM

I'm not sure, but I think you can update the firmware of the Unitor, but not the AMT8.

In my case, two of my AMT8's were version 2.04, and two of them were version 2.02, so I just shuffled them around so that a 2.04 was first in line.

Lee Blaske
Old 09-28-2001, 11:40 AM

legativity

I'm trying to troubleshoot a problem for a Cubase user who has three Midex 8s hooked up to a hub to a Dual 800. As you're using three interfaces and a QS mac there may be some similarities.

What problems are you having specifically....loosing connections or just errors? Which errors and do they have numbers associated or just text alerts?

Have you tried using OMS?
Have you tried a powered hub as three devices draws quite a bit from the port. Wait I suppose the Unitor and AMT likely have their own power supplies...doh!

I believe there may be something about the USB implementation with the QS macs but this is just speculation. It seems that single interfaces are fine but multiple devices is causing some problems. Can you get it working reliably with just one interface...if so then try two and see if it's any better or worse.

Kevan
Old 09-28-2001, 01:13 PM

I fixed the problem by eliminating the Unitor8 MkII. So now I have 4 AMT's (first one being Rev 2.04) and all is beautiful. I don't think it was a problem with that specific Unitor, as I put a brand new one in yesterday and had the same problem. Since the Unitor is a more in depth syncronizer, maybe it has a conflict with QS Macs USB(??). The AMT's are strictly midi, no LTC or VITC, etc.
It works fine now.
Thanks for all the response.
Old 09-28-2001, 05:13 PM

My dealer told me that USB and multiple Unitors is a problem. None of his clients use it (they have an old Mac port installed). I am however using a Unitor8 and AMT8 and it is working fine.