Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 12-14-2003, 12:02 PM

Default Click and drag for MIDI note trimming too sluggish

Hello everyone!

Anybody experiencing this? Seems like the more MIDI tracks I add to a session, then when clicking and dragging to trim a note, that process becomes too slow and sluggish. Sometimes I need to wait for the screen redraw to catch up with my mouse movement. If I don't wait for this, then many times I end up with notes trimmed to undesired lenghts. Clicking and dragging to move notes around, either to different pitches or places in time doesn't have any problem.

Any ideas on how to solve this?

I've been trying the following with no success:

Hiding MIDI tracks.
Changed the edit window behavior to slip, grid or relative grid.
Gone to Display Preferences and turning off the "draw grids in edit window" as well as setting "no color coding in edit window".
Quitting and reopeing.
Restarting the computer.
Lowering the monitors color resolution to thousands instead of millions.

Thanks for any help with this!

Peace for everyone.

Rodolfo Fernandez
Old 12-14-2003, 06:54 PM

Default Re: Click and drag for MIDI note trimming too slug

bump...
Old 12-14-2003, 07:14 PM

Default Re: Click and drag for MIDI note trimming too sluggish

System details?

I have the same problem, and it seems to mainly happen when I am using Reason/Rewire. Everything else seems fast, but this is an annoying problem.
2xMacPro 2.66,002r,OSX 10.4.10,PT 7.4cs8
3xVisionDaw,NI Komplete,Yamaha 01V/96
Old 12-14-2003, 08:54 PM

Sorry, I didn't include my system details.

G4 dual 1Ghz , 1Gb RAM, OS 10.2.8
PT 6.1.1 with Digi 001 hardware
MOTU Express XT hooked to gPort serial adapter

By the way, I just made the following test. New session, no audio or MIDI tracks. Created one MIDI track and recorded 10 bars with some piano notes and sustain pedal events, nothing too dense. Then selected the 10 bar and repeated it 200 times in the same track. Then tryed to click and drag to resize a note and it took around 6 or 7 seconds for the note lenght to be updated. While this was happening the Mac icon that appears when something is being processed was showing (that round multicolor revolving thing) and even when the note had been resized and the revolving thing had dissapeared, it came back 2 more times until the "trimming tool" icon finaly changed again to its normal state. All this took almost 20 seconds to complete and during that time I couldn't select or do anything else in other tracks as the tool icon was still in "trimming mode".

Then erased the 200 repeats and tryed duplicating the track 50 times. Again, very slow response when trimming a single note. Then, got rid of all the sustain pedal events on all tracks (I thought maybe the controller events could cause the problem). Same results. Finally, put back the sustain events and got rid of the notes this time. Same thing. Seems like any type of MIDI event in "more dense than usual" quantities will cause this.

Is this a normal behavior in the MIDI implementation in ProTools???

Is there any workaround to lower it or could I have a misconfiguration problem?

Peace for everyone.

Rodolfo Fernandez
Old 12-15-2003, 05:01 AM

I’ve seen this problem getting progressively worse with every update since 6.0. You would think that just trimming one midi note wouldn’t require such struggling and sluggish behavior from a program in 2003. Digi does not appear to care, develop or even test the midi side of PT at all.

I guess the testers just open a new session, create one midi track and drop one note in with the pencil tool and say, “Great! All midi functions working perfectly! Got a green light on this one! Were goin’ gold baby! Let ’er rip!!”.

Other gripes include:
Midi notes that just disappear “sometimes”, when dragged or trimmed to the beginning of a bar, midi notes that “sometimes” and unexpectedly double up when quantized, drawing-in panning automation does not follow midi track groups - and STILL, no automation tempo controller view where, you would normally, in ANY other midi sequencer, be able to draw in continuous tempo events. I just love manually typing in 50 separate tempo event values for an 8 bar Ritardando... LOVE IT!

dk
-------------------
Dual 1.25GHz FW800 / 512MB ram
OS10.3.1
PTLE 6.2.2 - DIGI 001
Midisport 2x2
100GB OWC Firewire (Oxford 911) Audio HD
DigTranslator 2
McDSP Analog Channel
Waves Native Power Pack - v4
Old 12-15-2003, 05:47 AM

Just upgraded to 10.3.1 and LE 6.2.2 to see if maybe that would solve the problem.

NOPE.

If anything it is worse.
2xMacPro 2.66,002r,OSX 10.4.10,PT 7.4cs8
3xVisionDaw,NI Komplete,Yamaha 01V/96
Old 12-15-2003, 05:56 AM

Yeah, as I stated above, the problem definitely gets worse with every update...

dk
Old 12-15-2003, 07:18 AM

Yeah, I get the same delay before a note is trimmed. Not too impressed.

iMac 800mHz 1gigRam Digi002 Lacie 80gig Fwdrive, running 6.1.1 on OSX 10.2.6.

Old 12-15-2003, 10:13 AM

I forgot to mention on my first and second posts on this topic about another major problem with trimming.

As you might have noticed, now it is possible to click, drag and select across several tracks with the selector tool. Well, try this: select MIDI notes across several tracks (actualy 2 would be enough) attempt to trim the notes on both tracks together... voilá, all other notes in adjacent tracks and within the same selection range have dissapeared... well, I'm wandering if this is happening in my system only...

Peace for everyone.

Rodolfo Fernandez
Old 12-15-2003, 08:48 PM

Any comments from DIGI?

I just got Reason and I'm starting to feel the need of learning its sequencing features... by the way, this Rewire thing is AWESOME! Lots better than the former IAC driver in OMS. Today I ran Live, Reason and a ProTools session with Quicktime video with no glitches so far. I love being able to switch to any of them and just hit play and everyone else is in sync! And most impressive thing: Live in loop mode and ProTools with the QT video slaved and looping too!!! Cheers for Rewire creators!

Well, back to sluggish trimming of MIDI notes reality... any word from DIGI, please?

Peace for everyone.

Rodolfo Fernandez