Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2012, 12:37 PM

Default SC48 Talkback and another problem.

SC48 Talkback and another problem.

I am trying to make the Talkback feature work on an SC48 without having to go to the Options/Misc page to activate it. Is there a Talkback switch on the surface that I am overlooking? I tried to make the user button work as the talkback but it didn’t work. I am using Version 3 of the firmware. I could make the user button flash the console lights so I know that the button works.

Why is there a selection in events under triggers for “Talkback” when there is no Talkback button on the surface to act as a trigger or is that a feature that is there for the other surfaces?

While trying to make this work I also changed the number of input channels from 48 to 64. And I tried to make the last 8 channels as stereo channels. While doing this the console went into backup mode and had to be reset. I wasn’t trying to do this on a show day. It also seemed like the multi select button stopped working before it crashed as I was trying to do this. I need to go back and try this again I ran out of time and had to leave.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:47 PM

Default Re: SC48 Talkback and another problem.

Talkback thru Function key worked well for me on SC48 and yes, there are dedicated buttons for it on Profile and D-Show.
Old 09-05-2012, 02:26 PM
Avid

Hi,

The Events page can be used to assign Talkback on/off functionality to any function switch (or the User button, or a footswitch, or any number of other triggers).

Set it up like this...

Action: User switch, Pressed
Trigger: Talkback, On, While Active

This activates talkback while the User button is pressed, and automatically turns talkback off when you release the User switch.

Sheldon
Old 09-05-2012, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheldon Radford View Post
Hi,

The Events page can be used to assign Talkback on/off functionality to any function switch (or the User button, or a footswitch, or any number of other triggers).

Set it up like this...

Action: User switch, Pressed
Trigger: Talkback, On, While Active

This activates talkback while the User button is pressed, and automatically turns talkback off when you release the User switch.

Sheldon
I will give that a try. But I thought that that is what I had done. Does this enable the route functionality like it does in the option/Misc page? If not how do I do that?

I was playing with the off line software after I initially posted and when I tried to make the last 8 channels of 64 into stereo channels the program seemed to lock up for a while. I remembered on the SC48 console itself I had gotten an error (I think when it went into Back Up mode) about some events being a problem. I have some channels mute back and forth and that seems to work fine but it choked the system when trying to make the stereo channels. I deleted (in the offline software version) the second event of the 2 channels that muted each other and it didn’t then freeze up again when I tried to make the channels into stereo channels. I have been thinking of changing the event behavior anyway so I don’t really need to do what may be causing a loop in version 3 under these circumstances.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:10 PM
Avid

Hi,

Quote:
Does this enable the route functionality like it does in the option/Misc page? If not how do I do that?
No, the event turns talkback on/off for the paths it's already been assigned to.

The basic setup is:
1. Route the TB to the outputs you desire. Do this by pressing the ROUTE button on the Options page, and then selecting the outputs you wish to assign to.
2. Use the event as described in the previous post to turn TB on/off to the assigned outputs.

Sheldon
Old 09-05-2012, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheldon Radford View Post
Hi,

No, the event turns talkback on/off for the paths it's already been assigned to.

The basic setup is:
1. Route the TB to the outputs you desire. Do this by pressing the ROUTE button on the Options page, and then selecting the outputs you wish to assign to.
2. Use the event as described in the previous post to turn TB on/off to the assigned outputs.

Sheldon
I have always liked the fact that I can do so much more with a digital mixer then an analog mix. But in this case if that is what I have to go thru when it was so easy and straightforward on their old analog mixer. All they had to do to talk back to a different set of monitors was push the TB to aux button and push the talk button and you could talk to any combination of auxs, and other selections to. I don’t know how I am going to tell them that it doesn’t work like that without getting down into the tabs. If I am correctly understanding what you are saying as to how this works. I am not going to have a happy customer.

It seems like all you would need to do is enable an event to do the route function. When I tested it with route on all I had to do when route was enabled was to hit an aux select and I was talking to that aux send. I want be able to hit a button on the surface or a GPI and then hit the aux select button that I want to talk to.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:31 AM

i use "Events" triggered by "Function" keys to use my talkback on the fly. here is my setup...

-My talkback comes through a channel
-I have created snapshots for that channel
-Snapshot #1: Aux #1 "On"
-Snapshot #2: Aux #2 "Off"
-In "Events" I have coded it so that when i press "Function" key #1 it plays snapshot #1 until i release the button and then it revets back to snapshot #2

I have one set of these for each person on stage and can easily just press a button to talk to them.

(if you want to get more advanced about it there are other ways to do this.. i started to run out of function keys so i built a box with 1 switch and 1 button on it. The first switch is a latching switch that when switched lets me talk to the whole band until i switch it back to off. the other button lets me talk to my stage manager who wears IEM's. the switches are controlling the "Footswitches" in the events page. The whole thing cost under 20 bucks to build and has made my life easier)
Old 09-06-2012, 09:15 AM
Avid

Hi,

The method I described assumes the talkback assignment doesn't change on the fly - the assignment is done once and the TB then goes to the outputs that have already been selected. This works great in a general talkback scenario, when TB goes to all mixes, but it doesn't accommodate the case when you need to talk to a particular mix on the fly. For this it would be easier to route TB to a channel and turn the channel aux sends on/off for each mix as desired.

TB assignment per aux on the fly would definitely be cool. Please add to the Ideascale site so folks can vote on it: http://avid.venue.ideascale.com

Sheldon
Old 09-17-2012, 10:32 AM

Without sounding like too simple a solution, I just use an SM58S (w/on-off switch) in the Talkback input, and assign it to a free channel in the patchbay. Works easiest for me...
Old 09-17-2012, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Paynter View Post
Without sounding like too simple a solution, I just use an SM58S (w/on-off switch) in the Talkback input, and assign it to a free channel in the patchbay. Works easiest for me...
I should probably get an SM with a switch. For now, I'm routing TB to a channel. I assign that channel to the Flex channel during soundcheck so I have quick access to it. When soundcheck is over, I release it.

Exclusively at the Miners Foundry