Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2006, 07:28 PM

Default \"H/W Buffer Size\" Error (-6086)

I recently got a new MBOX2 and have installed Protools 7.3 from the website. I have been using an MBOX 1 and Pro Tools 6.3.1 with no errors.
Now if i attempt to record even a single track and play back i am getting this exact error message :

"The operating system helf off interuptions for too long. If this occurs frequently, try increasing the "H/W Buffer size" in the playback engine panel. (-6086).

I attempted to do this and have increased the size to 2048. I also have Hyper Threading turned on (As i was told by a digidesign Tech rep that the 7.0+ versions will support so i have the 2 processors option chosen and then system is at 85% CPU Usage. My configuration of my system is below. Please HELP!

I have been attempting to use an external Seagate 160GB HD to see if that would assist with this error and so far it has not. I get the error on both internal and external HD's. I have also read a couple of other threads and have
1)updated my BIOS,
2)Tried completely turning the Network connection off,
3) Disconnected any USB device i am not using,
4)Disconnected my wireless keyboard and mouse and am using a wired keyboard and mouse.
5)Have gone to Run -> MSConfig and deselected all of the statup programs.

Dell Optiplex GX280
P4 2.8Ghz W/ HT
1 GB Memory
160GB internal HD with 80GB Free
160 GB Seagate External USB HD.
SB Live Sound Card, though it is using the digidesign drivers.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:17 PM

Default Re: \"H/W Buffer Size\" Error (-6086)

You know Tony, I have had a similar problem for a while now (except it's -6085 on a desktop setup), and I would absolutely love it if Digidesign would take the time to address it.

Apparently no one thinks our problem is all that important. I wish you the best of luck.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:34 PM
Avid

You should start with the steps in the Win XP/ Pro Tools 6.x/7.x General Troubleshooting thread and post specific info on your system per the info on that thread if you're unable to resolve the problem.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:36 PM

Hi guys.
It's not that no one thinks it's important, it's that there is a detailed discussion of this problem almost on a daily basis around here.

A number of things can cause this problem.
For instance, Tony, if you are using that USB drive as an audio drive, that can cause this error.
USB drives are not supported for Pro Tools.

The very first piece of advice in almost all these threads is to go through the suggestions in the General Troubleshooting thread.
Verify your system is compatable and your following all the performance guide lines... like using either a 2nd internal drive or a qualified Firewire drive as your audio drive.

If nothing you find there solves your problem, use the Sandra program linked there to provide us with a detailed system report.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:39 PM

Guess I need more coffee today...
Old 03-01-2007, 02:12 PM

Default Digidesign must address the buffer issue

Thank you both for replying. At least my post got someone to actually look at Tony's problem.

If so many people have a problem with the buffer underflowing or overflowing, then why can't Digidesign make an attempt to fix it? This befuddles me to no end.

And how can someone like Tony make a post about it, and get no response for TWO MONTHS?

That is ridiculous.

JMS, you wrote: "A number of things can cause this problem," and "there is a detailed discussion of this problem almost on a daily basis around here."

Are you reading the words you are writing? Aren't they a clue for you?

Please consider stating those facts to people in charge at Digidesign, instead of your customers.
These statements did not help me at all, and actually made me more upset.

Also, you wrote this: "It's not that no one thinks it's important ..."

That is far from the truth. If Digidesign really cared about their customers, they would've fixed this buffer bug in the software years ago.

Haven't you noticed all the people on this forum who have given up and stated their intentions to switch to Digidesign's competitors?

Maybe that is written in a language that the people in charge can understand.

I'm sorry if this frustrates you, but the way Digidesign treats its customers is very upsetting -- especially when you consider how much money people have to spend to buy unstable, bug-filled software.
Old 03-01-2007, 02:26 PM

Default Re: Digidesign must address the buffer issue

It's not a "bug" that can be "fixed", it is many users' blatant disregard for the posted requirements, both hardware and configuration.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 03-01-2007, 02:27 PM

Default Re: Digidesign must address the buffer issue

Quote:
"there is a detailed discussion of this problem almost on a daily basis around here."

Are you reading the words you are writing? Aren't they a clue for you?
We often identify the problems in those threads, jeff.
System reports point out incompatible chipsets, firewire cards, and drive setups, to name a few.
In fact, Tony's problem in this thread could possibly be the drive problem I pointed out.

By far, the majority of these threads revolve around users working with unsupported systems or components.
Not buggy software.

As for Tony's thread getting lost. That's unfortunate and unusual. I didn't even notice it was old to be honest.
We are "users" here, though... not tech support.