Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 05-14-2005, 11:21 AM

Default Quicktime 7/iTunes/Core Audio conflict

Maybe this has already been addressed but for those who aren't aware, if you update to Quicktime 7, iTunes will be disabled. You can download a Quicktime 6.5.2 Reinstaller here:

http://www.apple.com/support/downloa...lerformac.html

It will uninstall QT 7. Cheers. dc
Old 05-14-2005, 11:38 AM

Default Re: Quicktime 7/iTunes/Core Audio conflict

...except this doesn't resolve the problem - iTunes still appears to be launched in the dock but menu bar/interface is nowhere to be found. Anybody know the solution??? I've had two conversations with Apple support and they havn't been able to pin it down yet. Thanks for your help. dc.
Old 05-14-2005, 02:30 PM

I am having the same problem, I can use some help with this to!!!
Old 05-14-2005, 03:23 PM

Quote:
I am having the same problem, I can use some help with this to!!!
Ok. Here's what I know so far after extensively dealing with this problem. Everything depends on your version of Digi Hardware.

If you have the most current Pro Tools (6.9) w/ the most Current Core Audio Setup (6.9) everything should work fine. Not to mention, I'm sure Digi will release a fix on 10.3.9 along with a fix for Tiger support soon. So any lingering issues for 6.9 users will be resolved. Though I don't know of many if you have current hardware and Core Audio Setup 6.9. Now, if you are running an older version of Pro Tools (6.1, 6.2, 6.4, 6.7) on currently supported Hardware (MBox, 002R, 002) you can still download the most current Digi Core Audio Setup (6.9) and everything should work, basically all above apply so long as you have Core Audio 6.9.

Now, here's where things get complicated. If your running a Digi 001 (like I am at home). Now if you running LE 6.4 on an 001 but want to keep OSX 10.3.9 and Quicktime 7 you need to download Digi Core Audio Setup 6.9. However, not all apps will work in this arrangement. For, example. I run Pro Tools LE 6.4, Logic Express 7 both are working fine in this setup through my Digi 001. ITunes is working fine in this setup through my 001. Most basic Audio off the net is working through my 001. However, Quicktime itself is not along with Windows Media Player and Real Player. I never used my 001 as a full system soundcard, except for certain situations.

If you want to regain full system sound card status for your 001 you must re-install everything clean. As the Quicktime 6.5.2 re-installer does not remove something that QT 7 leaves behind. I nor anyone I have come in contact with has found what that is. I suggest a clean re-install. Do not even backup your files on a disk image and pull your old files from there. Backup your files individually on CD or DVD as there is still no way of knowing what file QT 7 is leaving behind. After the re-install upgrade only to OSX Panther 10.3.8 stay there. Your system will remain stable. You see,s 10.3.9 is sort of a catalyst Operating system to Tiger 10.4 this wil inevitablyl cause you some issues if you are running the wonderful but no longer supported Digi 001. I truly hope this helps.
Old 05-14-2005, 05:36 PM

Thanks so much, man. Followed your advice for 001 users that have been foolhardy enough to upgrade to OSX 10.3.9. I downloaded the 6.9 digidesign coreaudio driver and iTunes is up and running. Quicktime (6.5.2) seems to be working too so I guess i'm lucky i didn't have to do a complete reinstall. It's frustrating that Apple support isn't aware of this fix and that digidesign has designed us 001 users into such a deadend. hmmmmm. Logic, anyone?

thanks again, dc.
Old 05-14-2005, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Thanks so much, man. Followed your advice for 001 users that have been foolhardy enough to upgrade to OSX 10.3.9. I downloaded the 6.9 digidesign coreaudio driver and iTunes is up and running. Quicktime (6.5.2) seems to be working too so I guess i'm lucky i didn't have to do a complete reinstall. It's frustrating that Apple support isn't aware of this fix and that digidesign has designed us 001 users into such a deadend. hmmmmm. Logic, anyone?

thanks again, dc.
I don't think they've dead ended us. I still think that Pro Tools 6.4cs9 on aDigi 001 is an excellent setup. I don't think anyone can complain if they are using that setup. Folks remember the Beatles made all but one album (Abbey Road) on a 4 track analog tape machine. 4 Tracks With LE 6.4 you're working 32 Tracks of Audio, 128 Auxes, Tons of Midi, FX& routing capabilities they could only have dreamed of.

Remember all these companies are in the business of making money too. Yes they want to make a good product because they want your future business. But they need to make money. So yes, they will create new products and end support for old ones in the interest of making money. They will create bigger and better products all the time. You don't always have to upgrade. Figure out what it is that you need. I personally won't be upgrading to an 002. If I do decide to upgrade before the next PT/ Digi release it may be to the M-Audio 18/14. Right now though I have everything I need. Sometimes upgrading is for the sake of upgrading. Just figue out what you need.

Right now the only real, and I stress, REAL reason to upgrade to an 002 w/ PT 6.9 are a small handful of features. 2 extra
mic pres. 96/ 88.2 KHz support. Some extra post-production features in PT 6.9. The question is do you need this. If not wait.

As for not being able to move to Tiger w/ the 001. This upsets me a bit too, but oh well. I think it's silly that Audio Media 3 users were supported through LE 6.1 and 001 users only to 6.4. We should have at least gotten support through thew entire 6.x series w/ how much some 001 users spent on their systems. If you really really want the extra bells and whistles that come on Tiger than you'll have to upgrade otherwise stay w/ Panther It's had no security issues that would constitute a move to Tiger being necessary. I like my 001. I like PT LE 6.4 and I'll only upgrade when they are not meeting my purposes anymore.

And no problem on the advice. I'm glad I could help.
Old 05-15-2005, 11:34 AM

yeah i hear ya but the Tiger widgets look kinda cool.
Old 05-15-2005, 06:04 PM

Thanks for the help Paxil, I can now here my Tunes at least. I've a 001 (did the QT7 and iTunes upgrade - mistake) and installing Core Audio 6.9 at least got my iTunes working, and also allowed Quick time to play clips, just with no sound.
Is the problem with Quick Time and iTunes? I'm sure I'd done the 10.3.9 upgrade with out QT7 and iTunes and all was working fine until I uprgaded those 2 applications?
So with the new Core Audio driver, you don't seem to be able to select which applications use it and which ones don't, or not that I can find anyway. Am I just not finding the configuration for it, or is it expected that all application will play through it once you have assigned the Digi card as your Default output (in the Audio / Midi utility).
I'm a little hesitant to do a system restore as suggested, because I'm also running X windows and all the Unix gear etc.. I'm kind of worried that if I take OSX back to 10.3.5 or something, all of libraries such as the GCC compiliers etc.. will be out of sync.
Old 05-16-2005, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the help Paxil, I can now here my Tunes at least. I've a 001 (did the QT7 and iTunes upgrade - mistake) and installing Core Audio 6.9 at least got my iTunes working, and also allowed Quick time to play clips, just with no sound.
Have you tried the Apple Quicktime 6.5.2 re-installer. Located here Quicktime 6.5.2 Re-Installer most folks regain the ability to hear Quicktime, and you don't have to re-install. Core Audio 6.9 simply doesn't have a fix for QT7 yet. And I don't know nor does anybody, if the Core Audio setup that is released for 10.3.9 users will include the 001. According to Digidesign it won't, but that's what they said about 6.9.

Quote:
Is the problem with Quick Time and iTunes? I'm sure I'd done the 10.3.9 upgrade with out QT7 and iTunes and all was working fine until I uprgaded those 2 applications?
The problem I believe is a combination of things. Quicktime 7 was released as the new Tiger Quicktime. OSX 10.3.9 was released to allow those not switching to Tiger to use the new Quicktime and maybe whatever other common Apps will have a "Tiger" version that they want to make available to Panther users. Probably stuff that they have an upgrade sale for.

Quote:
So with the new Core Audio driver, you don't seem to be able to select which applications use it and which ones don't, or not that I can find anyway. Am I just not finding the configuration for it, or is it expected that all application will play through it once you have assigned the Digi card as your Default output (in the Audio / Midi utility).
I don't like the fact that you can't select the apps in Core Audio 6.9 either. Which is why I'm gettung everything ready to go back to QSX 10.3.8 an using either Core Audio 6.4 or 6.5.2 which I liked better. 6.4 particularly.

Quote:
I'm a little hesitant to do a system restore as suggested, because I'm also running X windows and all the Unix gear etc.. I'm kind of worried that if I take OSX back to 10.3.5 or something, all of libraries such as the GCC compiliers etc.. will be out of sync.
I should have been a little more clear on this which is why I started a thread which stated all my findings in a more clear manner.

The Pro Tools/ ITunes/ Quicktime 7 Bug Thread

Re-Installing is a last resort if you want to use your 001 as a full system soundcard, and Re-Installing Quicktime 6.5.2 and Core Audio setup 6.9 doesn't accomplish that.

I'm curious about what your intentions are, Roochie, in terms of your Digi 001. Are you one of the folks who feels the need to upgrade or are you gonna wait till your impressed by the next Digidesign Line.

Quote:
yeah i hear ya but the Tiger widgets look kinda cool.
hybridd the widgets do look mad cool. Here's a link to a Quicktime movie of the Tiger Desktop in action from a poster at another site I frequent.

Anthony's Desktop in Action 4

But I ask , everyone really, is that alone worth getting rid of a stable 24-Bit 48KHz system. With the expense involved in a switch, that, at best. is intermediate. I tell you what, I'm just going to Dual Boot Panther and Tiger soon and wait until something truly motivates me to upgrade my Interface/ software.. Then I can stick with Tiger (or Lion, or Lynx, or Sabretooth, or whatever) alone.
Old 05-16-2005, 06:54 PM

I pretty much use the 001 for everything. When the band doesn't require them, I have the PA speakers hooked up to my 001.
In regards to QT6.5 not working for me, I had downgraded to 6.5 then installed the new Core Audio driver(6.9), and found it didn't work, so I reinstalled QT 7, and found I got pictures with no Sound. I probably need to downgrade to 6.5 after my Audio driver upgrade (I'm away at the moment so I can't test this for a few more days).
With respect to using the latest and greatest stuff, I don't really care, and I'm using the "If it ain't broke don't fix it!" approach, it's just that I was happily letting OSX do the regular updates and got caught out by this one.
One thing I'm hesitant with in a reinstall (of the OS) is making sure that my Pro Tool sessions keep pointing to their audio files. I did a reinstall once before (may not have done it quite right) and I had to spend hours telling Pro Tools where to find all the associated Audio files for each session.
With a reinstall do you recommend?
1. Simply putting the system disks in from boot up
2. Actually erasing everything on the HD with some sort of a format before installing

If I do 1.) does it leave the user files behind and just reinstalls the key OS files, or does it actually wipe the HD anyway. (I suspect with the Unix stuff that it's just a matter of reinstalling the latest development tools and that should be fine - but I don't actually know)

In regards do Audio Driver 6.9 and not being able to select the Applications, is it just expected that everything will go through the sound card after you set the default sound to the Digi HW in the Utilities -> Audio / Midi tool (can't remember what it was called)?

Oh and the thing about 10.3.9 before upgrading QT & iTunes was, that I didn't actually notice any problems until the iTunes & QT uprgade came through. I think got an auto update to 10.3.9 that didn't have QT & iTunes, and I didn't notice any problems at that stage, only a week or two later when I actually upgraded QT & iTunes. They obivously have some common components shared between the 2 applications, I've noticed before that affecting one can change the other