Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 01-22-2005, 06:01 PM

Default Jam along with out recording? digi 001

I have what may or may not be a stupid question regarding play back of Pro Tools tracks. Thats with Pro tools 6.4 running through a Digi 001.

When I record a track (using guitar) I use a line 6 pod and connect the line outs straight into input 3 & 4 (also monitor inputs) and monitor this with speakers going out through the monitor outs (I'm not sure if I should use these or the main outs, but I use the 001 box in passive monitor mode through PA speakers a lot so I would rather keep using the monitor outs). So I actually don't hear what I've played until it has gone through the 001 box first.
This all works fine but one thing I would like to do is be able to jam along with a track I've just recorded with out having to record what I'm playing (say if I'm trying to figure out what'll I'll put in a second track and I'm just playing around to see what works).

As it is at the moment, it seems that you can only mix a live track with a prerecorded track whilst you are recording your live track. (I prefer not to fill up my HD with terrible sounding stuff that doesn't work).

So essentially I want to use the digi box as a mixer and have what's coming in live (with out recording) mix with a Pro Tools track (hopefully with pro tools still open - so I can record when I'm ready) and have it come out of the same speakers. When pushing play on Pro Tools, it seems to cut off any other input while it is playing. If I push the monitor button on Digi box it cuts off the Pro Tools input and only puts out what is coming from the inputs.

Is there a way to do this, or should I just go and invest in a mixer and cables and A/B switches (so I can switch from sending to the mixer when jamming to sending to the Digi box when recording), at the moment I can work with it, but it means constantly plugging and uplugging things speakers and inputs.

I didn't see this in other threads, but if someone has addressed it before, can you point me to it?
Old 01-22-2005, 06:28 PM

Default Re: Jam along with out recording? digi 001

In the Operations menu select "Input only monitoring".
This lets all record enabled tracks thru all the time, wether you are recording or not.
You have it set to "Auto input monitoring" which is meant for punching in, when you want to hear what´s on the track up to the point when you start to record.

The only differencies between Main and Monitor outputs is that Monitor output is affected by the Volume and Monitor mode buttons on the front of the 001.
If you engage monitor mode whatever signal is present on inputs 3 and 4 is sent out thru the Monitor Outputs, even when the computer is turned off.
Main outputs puts out just what´s on the master fader and is not affected by the volume knob.
Old 01-23-2005, 01:18 AM

Default Re: Jam along with out recording? digi 001

Thanks Ben, that was just what I was looking for and I thought that it could probably be done but I just couldn't find out where. I guess I should read the manual a little more thoroughly.