Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2006, 09:15 AM

Default Re: Realistic Track count with Mojo

Mojo seems great do not be afraid of it or digi specs. They are usually very conservative with track counts etc... We have a similar system to Brad in one of our rooms. We have a dual 2gig G5 with 2 Gigs of ram. We use SCSI Atto UL3D for video drives 10k cheetahs and Firewire 400 for audio playback. Also using 6.9.1 on 10.3.8. We have had 0 problem with the system. I had a session in there that had digitized video from the mojo and 63 24 bit 48k audio across 2 7200 rpm firewire drives. The sluggish part of the system was the firewire seek time. Everything else seemed to go well. I did not use very many plug ins though as the session was split out to 48 outs to the console where processing and eq was done.

In the room I normally work in we use PCs and V10s with Unity. For this system is says 48 tracks max at 24/48 with V10 but on the bigger dramatic shows we run 80+ tracks and video off of unity without problem. Unity is the only thing that has a bandwidth issue depending on # of users etc... Sometimes if I am importing SFX it takes a while to open the Import Audio Dialog but then it works quickly from there. During normal operation and editing the system plays way faster than AVXL and 6.2.3 ever did.

Hope this helps

Mike
Old 01-18-2006, 11:56 AM

I don't want to pull this too far off topic but concerning G5 slot order, this compato page is what I've read, it says expansion host card, then PCI-firewire, then UL3D. I have a feeling it doesn't matter one way or the other. Maybe I'll swap the order and find out.
Old 01-18-2006, 12:11 PM

Quote:
I don't want to pull this too far off topic but concerning G5 slot order, this compato page is what I've read, it says expansion host card, then PCI-firewire, then UL3D. I have a feeling it doesn't matter one way or the other. Maybe I'll swap the order and find out.
Yeah, I had seen that too, but then I saw something else, can't find it now... just wanted to help, as your system description seemed a bit off from my experience.

Best of Luck!
Washington, DC 20036
Old 01-18-2006, 04:53 PM

Thanks for all of the advice.

I must say that I am still a bit on the fence as both sides of the coin have been represented. We do a lot of audio post for our "in house" picture dept and the idea of importing the various avid resolutions is a big plus. Our picture cuts are usually at 14:1p so it seems like it would work quite well.

It would appear that a tape-based workflow is slowing starting to fade away except for the final deliveries. Perhaps when the Internet gets faster we can move to file transfers for distributors.

I have just finished my Cisco training in anticipation for the future IP workflows we will be seeing soon. Hopefully it pays off.

Unfortunately I will not be able to get a demo mojo to try it out. Not sure yet whether to just bite the bullet and take a chance. Not what I usually like to do though.

Jon
Old 01-23-2006, 04:58 PM
Avid

In regards to track count with Avid video, please note that we have just updated the compatibility docs: When using Mojo or AVoption|V10, Pro Tools is now fully qualified to play 64 tracks of 48kHz/24-bit audio when using local storage (Playback of audio from Avid Unity is still limited to 48 tracks, however). Ultimately, Richard Fairbanks' assesment is correct: performance will vary based on multiple factors, including edit density, plug-ins, automation, video compression, etc.

Thanks, Gordon