Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 07-28-2017, 10:37 AM

Default Re: Dear Aviid

Most DAWs have a mode that is equivalent to the Smart Tool. I'm on PC so I don't know Logic, but in my opinion the best is Samplitude's universal mouse mode. It's extremely rare that I need to change to a different mode/tool. PT is good, but so are many others, and PT is not my favorite. Reaper is completely configurable so it is another DAW that has an excellent smart tool equivalent, and you can make it work exactly how you like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinkofani View Post
All good. I know Logic more than PT, so I'm the opposite of you!! Check out all you can do with the Marquee Tool in Logic. There's dozens of things you can do with it. Once set as the Command tool(secondary tool, or click-zone tool in the Prefs), I rarely have to change tools with that and the pointer Tool. Pretty equivalent to the Smart Tool in PT... Tab to transients, etc...

Blink

Last edited by deanrichard; 07-28-2017 at 01:40 PM.
Old 07-28-2017, 11:47 PM

Default Re: Dear Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by kings79 View Post
The majority of people here are having problems with stability.
Correction: 100% of people complaining about stability here are having problems with stability.

That says nothing for the other users, of course. Not to diminish the problem; just recognize that it's an entirely self-selecting population sample.
* Soundtoys + Valhalla + Fabfilter + Spitfire
* RME Fireface UCX II ~ Arturia Keylab Essential 49
* various clarinets, trumpets, flutes, plucky stringy thingies
Old 07-29-2017, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme Mixing View Post
I jumped into deep water today. I upgraded to the latest Sierra, the Apollo software, moved to Pro Tools 12.8 and installed the latest Logic Pro X. Also did the Native Instruments 11 Ultimate upgrade a few days ago. It's CRAZY. But so far, everything seems pretty happy. This is on my Laptop. I'll do the studio computer in a few days, once I know for sure it's all good.

Wish me luck!
I'm just weighing in here and not taking a side. For years, I had stability issues. I started with Pro Tools 8 LE and an M-Audio Lightbridge. I had an approved computer and had many, many issues thru PT 10 all with different approved computers and OS, of course.

I too, like the gentleman above, recently updated one of my systems to Sierra, added Komplete 11 Ultimate with new Apollo software and THAT rig is running great. The difference is that I'm on PT HD 12.7. I let my subscription run out because I couldn't see any practical reason to go on, as 12.7 does what I need it to do. In the near future I will try updating my other rig (MacPro 2009) and we'll see. But I'm stable, so far, and I think I'm going to stay here. I jumped from Mavericks to Sierra because a lot of third party stuff seemed to want to be there, and I didn't want to crawl thru Yosemite and El Capitan. I, for one, am hopeful. I don't use any other daw's and don't run many VI's; I render VI's as soon as possible. I guess you can say I'm happy. Thank-you.

http://www.allmusic.com/artist/john-...s/date-asc/100

http://soundbetter.com/profiles/3845-john-siket
Old 07-29-2017, 08:36 AM

Default Re: Dear Aviid

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanrichard View Post
Most DAWs have a mode that is equivalent to the Smart Tool. I'm on PC so I don't know Logic, but in my opinion the best is Samplitude's universal mouse mode. It's extremely rare that I need to change to a different mode/tool. PT is good, but so are many others, and PT is not my favorite. Reaper is completely configurable so it is another DAW that has an excellent smart tool equivalent, and you can make it work exactly how you like.
Just to clarify in PT it is a "multi tool" which is I believe different than the " smart tool in " Reaper (at least when I tried Reaper a little over a year ago) Unless it has changed since then ? . If I am not mistaken the advantage of the multi-tool is you do not have to go back to the toolbar to change the tool .

I have to mention when I read the title this immediately came to mind

https://youtu.be/b2ccC4aULow

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...

Last edited by K Roche; 07-30-2017 at 10:37 AM.
Old 07-29-2017, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekis View Post
I'm just weighing in here and not taking a side. For years, I had stability issues. I started with Pro Tools 8 LE and an M-Audio Lightbridge. I had an approved computer and had many, many issues thru PT 10 all with different approved computers and OS, of course.

I too, like the gentleman above, recently updated one of my systems to Sierra, added Komplete 11 Ultimate with new Apollo software and THAT rig is running great. The difference is that I'm on PT HD 12.7. I let my subscription run out because I couldn't see any practical reason to go on, as 12.7 does what I need it to do. In the near future I will try updating my other rig (MacPro 2009) and we'll see. But I'm stable, so far, and I think I'm going to stay here. I jumped from Mavericks to Sierra because a lot of third party stuff seemed to want to be there, and I didn't want to crawl thru Yosemite and El Capitan. I, for one, am hopeful. I don't use any other daw's and don't run many VI's; I render VI's as soon as possible. I guess you can say I'm happy. Thank-you.
No one does themselves a favor by running mavericks in 2017. It doesn't utilize new hardware nor the capabilities of macOS. The faster people jump to a new os the faster a DAW can make progress. Backwards compatibility is what is keeping a DAW non-performant in 2017. If someone must run 10.9 which was not Apples brightest achievement then sticking with the most current Daw at that time is a really good idea as it won't try to mediate new hardware with elder
My experience anyway

Last edited by 25ghosts; 07-29-2017 at 11:32 AM.
Old 07-29-2017, 12:14 PM

I hear that ProTools started rewriting the system code with ProTool 11.
It would be insightful to know the history of that process up to the present.
Who was the team that started this whole mess? And are they the same team, management and coders, who are now trying to fix the problems?

The MIDI / VI problem only involves real-time operation. I can take a session that can't play more than 4 measures without a crash or an error and do a perfect off-line bounce. A 2 minute cue will off-line bounce in 10 seconds, perfect every time.
In fact that is how I have to work sometimes. Off-line bounce the cue so I can hear the whole thing.

John Clavin
Old 07-30-2017, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25ghosts View Post
No one does themselves a favor by running mavericks in 2017. It doesn't utilize new hardware nor the capabilities of macOS. The faster people jump to a new os the faster a DAW can make progress. Backwards compatibility is what is keeping a DAW non-performant in 2017. If someone must run 10.9 which was not Apples brightest achievement then sticking with the most current Daw at that time is a really good idea as it won't try to mediate new hardware with elder
My experience anyway
Mavericks worked well for me. If you went thru Yosemite, El Capitan then Sierra you have a higher threshold for frustration than me. I'd stay on Mountain Lion if I could. I prefer the more streamlined "look" of it. We had Yosemite at work (Pro Tools there too) and we had lots of problems with it. Besides, Mavericks was approved by Avid for a long time. Are you going to jump to High Sierra this fall as soon as it comes out? I think I'm going to wait...as long as I can.

http://www.allmusic.com/artist/john-...s/date-asc/100

http://soundbetter.com/profiles/3845-john-siket