Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2021, 05:16 PM

Default 1st gen Digidesign 192 interface with HDX ?

Hi All,
I’ve got the 1st generation digidesign 192 I/O and wondering if it will work with the latest HDX Protools card. I’m currently running the first gen PCI cards (HDcore + 2accel cards) with it. Ive recently built up a new PC and looking to get a newer HDX card to put in it, and hoping the 192 I/O will work. Would appreciate any confirmation either way. Thanks,
Marco

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-29-2021, 05:57 PM

Default Re: 1st gen Digidesign 192 interface with HDX ?

My understanding is that it will be fine provided it works. Bobby Lombardi told me the only reason they stopped officially supporting them was because some of the parts were no longer available.
Old 05-29-2021, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Hi All,
I’ve got the 1st generation digidesign 192 I/O and wondering if it will work with the latest HDX Protools card. I’m currently running the first gen PCI cards (HDcore + 2accel cards) with it. Ive recently built up a new PC and looking to get a newer HDX card to put in it, and hoping the 192 I/O will work. Would appreciate any confirmation either way. Thanks,
Marco

I recently made a similar move, and all is well. I have 3 x 192's, no issues.
Old 05-29-2021, 09:54 PM

Yes it works, but Avid will not provide firmware updates to DigiDesign boxes, should they need one. Latency is also different than Avid HD interface, but it is not a problem with PT which knows how many samples to compensate. But good to know if you use 3rd party boxes that emulate either 192 or HD interface. Even then it is not a problem, if you use inserts the proper way, but routing out of 192 and in to HD may cause phasing.
Old 05-30-2021, 05:46 AM

Hi there, thanks for the insight! Not sure what you mean when you said “Routing out of the 192 into HD” does that mean that if I re-amp a guitar signal using an analog-out channel that it won’t be sample accurate and in time with the recording? Can you give an example of the potential issue? Thanks ,
Marco

Old 05-30-2021, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Hi there, thanks for the insight! Not sure what you mean when you said “Routing out of the 192 into HD” does that mean that if I re-amp a guitar signal using an analog-out channel that it won’t be sample accurate and in time with the recording? Can you give an example of the potential issue? Thanks ,
Marco

The proper way to use hardware inserts (as in re-amping) would be setting it up in i/o setup and that requires matching output and input numbers. Say, 192 output 8 and input 8 pair would be set up as hardware insert and used like a plugin in the mixer window. This will be latency compensated.

The weird way some are still using is setting just any output, say output 7 and then re-recording the re-amped stuff to some other input, say input 6. This most likely introduces latency problems and is also harder to use than hardware insert..
Old 05-30-2021, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Third Eye Studios View Post
I recently made a similar move, and all is well. I have 3 x 192's, no issues.

If you are interested, I have a mint condition Avid HD I/O 8x8x8 Audio Interface which I had replaced a 192 interface. DM me if you are interested.. It's up on Reverb.com and priced great! It also supports 32 bit audio. I upgraded my room to a fully loaded MTRX interface for Dolby Atmos, so that is the only reason I got rid of it. Latency is a lot better than the 192 btw.
https://reverb.com/item/39234105-avi...ce-2013-silver
G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS