Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2012, 08:54 AM

Lightbulb Noise on L channel of my 11R only when using SPDIF to connect to Digi002r w/PT10.

I was an early adopter of the 11r. Due to fast paced working lifestyle haven't been able to use this piece of equipment much, farm spring summer and record in the fall / winter. So...when it failed I was frustrated to near tears. Especially, considering the time it takes to configure PT10 with associated SW (a major step) and even moreso when I am ready to record new materials; enough of the emotions. I upgraded early 2012 to PT10 and many accoutrements (>TB RAID HDD, 16GB Computer for what with ~3GB mem lim OUCH), kept the Digi002r. In a session with 11r recording left channel sizzles and pops bouncing to its channel level max with SPDIF input selected in PT10 guitar track. "Noise, noise, noise" - Grinch. Bright spot: doesn't present itself via head phones, nor XLR from mains out to the D2r XLR in and selected in PT10 guitar track. However; boy does XLR option lose cajones and has its own ambient noise issues preventing recording. Swapped SPDIF cables stays in left channel. Upgraded to version 1.0.3 Build 0.6.2.0. Nada! The doggone thang has been on maybe 50 hours since I shelled out $ for it when it came out. I don't want to go back to recording with mics, Marshalls and Metal living with a work from home wife on the phone, I don't play that well..."Boo hoo hoo" - Grinch. If I have to return for repair (Fill in the blank), my folding money doesn't bend too easily (I know my prob)...am open to a suitable option to send a quality signal to the D2r bypassing SPDIF so I can get my music back on track. I created two Mono Tracks. The Mono SPDIF L has the sizzles and pops. Mono R SPDIF no noise. I upgraded to PT10 10.3.2 and the latest 11R drivers to no avail. I have about $8K tied up in Avid HW and PT upgrades and the like. I could have paid for a lot of studio time... about tapped and have some fine amps with a work from home wife I can disturb, so 11R still has my attention. Is there an inexpensive repair to be had? Thoughts...ground issues <G>...something I can do on own?

Last edited by SchweineMeister; 10-18-2012 at 10:49 PM. Reason: New Troubleshooting Additions
Old 10-04-2012, 10:06 PM

Default Re: Noise on L channel of my 11R only when using SPDIF to connect to Digi002r w/PT10.

Is it likely this unit has issues in the SPDIF out circuit? I swapped the cables (in for the out) and nothing changed. May venture a new set of cables, if the SPDIF out L channel is perhaps affected by this particular set of cables. When I swapped I still had popping and hissing on the L channel. Mind you it doesn't happen in the headphone, nor the Low impedance mains. Is anyone familiar with the repair costs at Avid? Geez of all the luck. I F-in baby this stuff!
Old 10-05-2012, 02:42 AM

2 things I can think of here. 1: you haven't changed the ER clock source. You need to change the clock source to ext spdif so the ER clock will get it's reference off the main interface.
2: Also check your digital output setting. Should be on the mirrors analog output setting.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:41 AM

Default Re: Noise on L channel of my 11R only when using SPDIF to connect to Digi002r w/PT10.

Thank you elpololoco. I will try again when I have more time to work with the config. At first attempt I went SPDIF inactive on the D2R and nada... I will have to run through my cabling and configs and such.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:54 PM

I have ran through it all Elpolloloco and thread (was set up correctly yet thanks!), got the same noise on the L channel of all S/PDIF 11R record enabled guitar tracks, even started a new session and SOS. If I am unable to get any additional assist it looks like I am going to have to replace it if they can't repair it for me...damn the luck!! I pulled the USB cable with the L Channel noise, trying anything and still the same. So it is making the noise on the L channel originating in the 11R S/PDIF circuitry!! Help Chimp Waaaahhh...
Old 11-08-2012, 10:03 PM

I was able to fix this, after months!! My Eleven Rack in its User Options settings Digital Clock/Input Clock Source setting was set to External and my Digital Input Set to S/PDIF....all good right. I ran across an article which mention something about setting the Clock Source to S/PDIF External in one more location>>> Windows 7 Control Panel under the Avid Eleven Rack icon!!! I didn't read, or possibly notice this was required. When set to S/PDIF Ext in W7 the noise went completely away, other white noise was gone as well!! This was operating with PT10.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchweineMeister View Post
I was able to fix this, after months!! My Eleven Rack in its User Options settings Digital Clock/Input Clock Source setting was set to External and my Digital Input Set to S/PDIF....all good right. I ran across an article which mention something about setting the Clock Source to S/PDIF External in one more location>>> Windows 7 Control Panel under the Avid Eleven Rack icon!!! I didn't read, or possibly notice this was required. When set to S/PDIF Ext in W7 the noise went completely away, other white noise was gone as well!! This was operating with PT10.
I don't recall reading your original thread but it's great you're up and running. You're a good guy to post in case someone has the same problem you had.