Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2011, 09:25 AM

Default Is there an easy way to do this?

I currently use 4 separate drives for organizing my sessions. One work drive off of which I'm actually running the session (record and playback), 2 internal drives and one network drive (network drive is in a different location). So after working on a session, I copy (in the finder) from the work drive to the 3 other drives. I'd like to find a way to do that with one click rather than dragging the folder manually to three separate drives. Save time, clicks and reduce the chances of a mistake. Anybody got a solution?
Old 03-30-2011, 09:34 AM

Default Re: Is there an easy way to do this?

http://decimus.net/Synk/SynkPro.html
Old 03-30-2011, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstaczek View Post
Looks cool, but seems like this requires you to predetermine which folders you'll be backing up. In my case, that list is constantly changing. The folder I need to backup is whatever is the last one I worked on on my work drive. Am I missing something about this app? And it also seems like it only allows me to back up folders to one location whereas I need to backup to three locations.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:13 AM

you probably want to backup your work drive 3 times each time to different drives and with condition to backup only files/folders created today
Old 03-30-2011, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHoney View Post
Looks cool, but seems like this requires you to predetermine which folders you'll be backing up. In my case, that list is constantly changing. The folder I need to backup is whatever is the last one I worked on on my work drive. Am I missing something about this app? And it also seems like it only allows me to back up folders to one location whereas I need to backup to three locations.
Well it's pretty easy from Pro Tools...

Before you close down your session, just click "Save Copy In..." and select the location you want to save the session.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 03-30-2011, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dism View Post
Well it's pretty easy from Pro Tools...

Before you close down your session, just click "Save Copy In..." and select the location you want to save the session.
sure, but doesn't that require you repeating the procedure 3 times to go to each of the 3 backup drives? Unless, I'm missing something in what you're saying just changes 3 finder drags to 3 PT "save copy in..."'s
Old 03-30-2011, 01:29 PM

This: http://www.getgobbler.com/ looks promising. Slate Digital is involved I think.

Haven't tried it yet, but it is targeted to audio users.
http://www.fishertheband.com
Mac Pro (Late 2013) 3.5 GHz 6-core Intel Xeon E5 - 32 GB Ram / 1TB Flash Storage - Avid HD I/O - Latest Mac OS - HDX3 - Latest PT Version.
Old 03-30-2011, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHoney View Post
sure, but doesn't that require you repeating the procedure 3 times to go to each of the 3 backup drives? Unless, I'm missing something in what you're saying just changes 3 finder drags to 3 PT "save copy in..."'s
Ah so you're wanting to save the same copy to 3 different locations at the same time.

I believe there is a backup tool that will allow you clone small file changes on demand, but the name escapes me at the moment.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 03-30-2011, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwasserman View Post
This: http://www.getgobbler.com/ looks promising. Slate Digital is involved I think.

Haven't tried it yet, but it is targeted to audio users.
Looks cool, but I don't really have the need for the cloud aspect. Really, if there's a way to make an apple script or use OSX Automator that would probably be my BEST method. The dream for me would be to right-click on the folder to initiate a script to copy it to the three other drives. Don't even need incremental backups necessarily. Just replace the old one with the new one.
Old 03-30-2011, 04:05 PM

I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but...

I've done IT for some very large US corporations.

While we backed up every night, we only did one backup to one backup device. After all, there are only 12 hours between 6:00 PM and 6:00 AM; figure in international operations and the backup window is even smaller.

True, since 9/11 some companies have gone to virtually continuous backup operations, but since the cost of one minute of downtime for them is probably several orders of magnitude larger than a large studio's entire year's gross it is worth it.

I've heard the "three copies" mantra so many times I could scream; I call [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep].

Keep one copy on your "session" hard drive and back it up either post-session or nightly to an external hard drive and even a Vegas bookmaker doesn't have a calculator big enough to tell you the odds of your having a data failure.

I'm on my eighth computer since 2000 (as a software developer I pretty much need the latest-and-greatest). I bring them home, I turn them on, and I leave them on. In that time I've lost one very cheap CD drive and an LCD screen in a cheap notebook...period.

Please don't bother me with your horror stories; I've already read most of them here and on other forums. And I imagine just Avid gains more new users in one minute than there are all of you put together. Do whatever you want...it's no skin off my teeth.

But for the rest of you, try not to let a paranoid few override your own common sense...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh