Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 12-05-2006, 03:10 PM

Default Workspace Browser Drag

This maybe the most embarrassing but, it's also really frustrating.... how do you drag a .wav file from the Workspace and drop it onto the Edit Window to create a track? What's wrong with me? I click and I'm using the multi-tool with the grabber. I've tried just the grabber on all three settings....nothing. The clip won't move. I've tried Alt click, Ctrl click, you name it click, everything. I just can't get it into the session. I can audition it fine. I just can't grab and drop it like this tutorial I'm following says to do. What's wrong? I know it's got to be the simplest thing. Please help. Thanks.
Old 12-05-2006, 03:12 PM

Default Re: Workspace Browser Drag

What version of Pro Tools are you using? This feature is only available in the newer versions.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 12-05-2006, 03:41 PM

It's 7.1. I got it to work once a few months ago but just once. I couldn't duplicate it. All I remember doing was just trying and trying to grab it numerous times and all of a sudden it worked. Don't really know why or what I did. I might of been on 7.0 back then. I notice now in these tutorials in these Future Music magazines I have that they're actually M-powered 7.1 that they have in the article. You would think LE would be the same on this. The only other weird thing I can think of besides me being really stupid is that I'm running PT on SP1. I know it's not recommended but everything has been working fine for a long time. I do this because I run GS3 on the same machine. It's a custom Sonica-X computer with a Pentium4 3.0 on it. I wouldn't even want to trade this setup it's so nice. But, I just can't grab and drop the clips from the Workspace browser like you're suppossed to be able to do. Is it me or my software?
Old 12-05-2006, 04:06 PM

2 ways I know of. Just drop the region into the edit window from the region bin if it's not full of tracks. If it is full of tracks, drag the region out of the regions bin into the tracks bin. A new track with the region in it will be created.

EDIT: Well, I just tried doing it in a few different sessions. Some will let me, some won't. There must be a setting somewhere. I'll search around for an answer because this has me curious now.

EDIT Again: Make sure you are in slip, spot or grid mode and not shuffle when you are trying to drag the regions to create a track. PT won't let you while in shuffle mode apparently.
Old 12-05-2006, 04:25 PM

Thanks Vocalvoodo for your reply. I'm able to import from the File menu or fom the region bin but this is supposed to be the new way of working, out of the Workspace Browser. There's these tutorials in Future Music mag that I'm following but I just can't drag and drop like they say. Thanks, Keith.
Old 12-05-2006, 04:27 PM

Duh, I should have read more closely. Sorry bout that.

I'm on 7.1cs10 and dragging out of the Workspace is working fine. Could it be that the file you're trying to drag and drop is not a compatible format or an incompatible bit rate or sample size? Possibly an mp3 without the mp3 option installed?
Old 12-05-2006, 05:11 PM

That was going to be my next question: What type of file is it? WAV? AIF? MP3? Bit rate? Sample rate? Mono? Stereo?

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 12-05-2006, 05:34 PM

It's .Wav. But the thing about the Workspace is it will automatically convert files to fit the session. It says in my magazine here spkguitar that"...any file or audio format conversions are taken care of automatically. Pro Tools now supports Rex and Acid audio files. You can drag and drop Acid,audio,MIDI,REX,video and even Red Book audio CD's directly from the Workspace Browser to the timeline or Region List". I can't get my setup to do this for some reason. I know I have PTLE 7.1. I'm not sure about the 7.1cs1.0 or whatever vocalvoodoo, but it would be neat to be able to drop those different files from the Workspace and have them automatically convert to your session. I'm glad to hear your system does it. I'll keep working on it, I might try the uninstall, install thing. But right now I can't drag any type of file out of there. I'm just clicking and dragging the mouse but right now there's no grab happening.