Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > The Drum Room
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2010, 08:00 AM

Default mixing and processing drums

Well I think I've done good job recording my Yamaha drums and getting the raw sound.

What are people doing to process the sounds within ProTools M-Audio? What kind of compression, EQ, reverb is everyone tinkering with out there? I'd like to try to stick with the tools within the software program.

Paul
Parker, CO

Mac 10.6.5 Pro Tools M-Powered 8
Profire 2626
Alesis I/O
BFD 2.0
Old 01-23-2010, 08:07 AM

Default Re: mixing and processing drums

Compression on the tracks that need compression, EQ where required, Reverb where required. Vague enough? So is the question.

Start with a good balance, check your phase as you add each drum, get a good mix with just volume and panning.

Match your effected and bypassed levels on the plugins so you don't get tricked by that louder=better thing.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:04 PM

Remember that whatever you do, try and keep the drums feeling "alive". When I first started mixing drums I got carried away with the gating trick as well as all the effects.....then one day recorded a drum take and realised it felt much more real unprocessed than my previous attempts.

I usually find that compressing drums with vastly differing amounts makes them sound a bit un-lifelike. Remember, that you can create a huge sound with drums, but its, in my opinion, to create a more realistic sound with drums.
Old 02-02-2010, 07:08 AM

Not knowing what you have(or what you are shooting for) makes it very tough to get specific so here are some general ideas for you to try. Solo each track and insert an EQ(IF you aren't happy with the tone) and sweep a narrow boost of +9db while listening. When you hear "ugly" jump out, place a cut at that frequency. Repeat with another band(2 is usually enough to get rid of any ugliness). If you used a bottom snare mic, you should reverse its polarity(insert most any EQ plugin and hit the reverse button(the 0 with the line thru it). Add a stereo AUX send on the shell tracks(kick, snare, toms) and then add a stereo AUX track(input set to the same busses) and insert BF76(or any compressor with no latency). Set the compressor for 8:1, fast attack and low threshold(so it squashes a lot) and bring this AUX fader up to fatten up the kit. If you used room mics, you might send them to the compressor track too. If you DON't have room mics, you might create some room feel with a reverb(I use IK Classik Reverb's ROOM for this). Very short and very subtle can make a nice effect(like .3 seconds and just barely enough to tell its working).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave