How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 08-24-2021, 12:17 AM

Default Re: RAM & Pro Tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Swap means writing something from memory to your system drive to make room for other things needed to fit in memory. Then the stuff gets read back into memory when needed, and that activity is called swapping. It was a real problem when system drives were slow spinners, but now that SSD has 3gbps throughput it is already faster than memory of 80's computer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Roger.

I've had Activity Monitor running for 30 min watching the swap. Session is about 130 track Stereo mix of a 60min TV program. No swap and green memory pressure.

The 5.1 sessions will be interesting to monitor.
OS Monterey
ProTools Ultimate 2022.4
Presonus Quantum 4848
Mac Studio M1 10 Core, 64gig RAM
Sonnet Echo dual NVMe TB Dock
Blackmagic Decklink 3G
Old 08-24-2021, 12:30 AM

Yes, good that you understand it now. If you dig deeper, you do not need to be concerned about "pageouts" (which means stuff written to storage and removed from memory) because nobody cares about the stuff you are not needing. But if the number of "pageins" (copying back to memory) is high you may have a problem with memory capacity.
Old 08-24-2021, 08:32 AM

Default RAM & Pro Tools

“spinners” so to speak, have a lot going for them they’re not slow at all. a 7200 rpm can tear through the roughest of sessions and still hold it’s own. Your 5.1 boots off of one without mods. ssds fail from continuous read write failures. So if you have a “workhorse” session with a “drive killer” I would prefer to use your so called “slow spinner” to take up the slack rather than lose an expensive ssd to failure. I’ll give you an example of a drive killer. An old sd2 big session with tons of edits. Try putting on your internal, and you have a very expensive fix or replacement on your hands for what could have cost you pennies on the dollar for an external.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by spinsong; 08-24-2021 at 08:44 AM.
Old 08-24-2021, 08:34 AM

Spinners (7200rpm and up that have latency of 10ms or lower) are good for sessions, but WAY TOO SLOW to compare to memory
Old 08-24-2021, 08:46 AM

Default RAM & Pro Tools

Spinners are not ram. I was talking drive or computer failure.
Some of these new computers have a hard drive the size of a button soldered to the motherboard and tend to overheat leading to failure as well.

Old 08-24-2021, 08:47 AM

Spinner is ram when you run out of ram and system starts to swap
Old 08-24-2021, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Spinner is ram when you run out of ram and system starts to swap

Any old school tech would be able to tell you a hard drive is not ram it’s a different component. Even on the all on one chip it’s a different sector that tends to fail from continuous read writes. Even ram fails even though it’s a different architecture.

Old 08-24-2021, 08:54 AM

I am that old skool tech and sometimes oversimplify things. Of course I know only REAL memory is the L1 memory built in the CPU, then there is L2 cache and possibly L3 cache before data even enters RAM, and when you run out of RAM unnecessary things are flushed to system drive whatever slow storage that may be. All in all there are only two options: either keep using slower storage or ef up an error message for out of memory problem.
Old 08-24-2021, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinsong View Post
“spinners” so to speak, have a lot going for them they’re not slow at all. a 7200 rpm can tear through the roughest of sessions and still hold it’s own. Your 5.1 boots off of one without mods. ssds fail from continuous read write failures. So if you have a “workhorse” session with a “drive killer” I would prefer to use your so called “slow spinner” to take up the slack rather than lose an expensive ssd to failure. I’ll give you an example of a drive killer. An old sd2 big session with tons of edits. Try putting on your internal, and you have a very expensive fix or replacement on your hands for what could have cost you pennies on the dollar for an external.

Doesn't take any kind of mod to boot a 5,1 from an ssd. Either put an ssd in a drive carrier or put one on a pcie card in a card slot. Install OSX, PT, plugins - done. SSD's don't fail anymore than spinners from continual read/writes. On the other hand a spinner will fail do to continual read/writes faster than a good ssd would. Think of all the work the head assembly goes through to get data. There's damned few people even using spinners anymore except for long term storage. You want evidence? Ask Southside Music and I doubt you'll find he has spinners in any of his systems. I believe he's running 7,1's.

QAPLA!
Old 08-24-2021, 09:21 AM

Default RAM & Pro Tools

What I was referring to was a price perspective. A good spinner would be more economical than a laptop failure. I prefer to run the bread and butter sessions off a spinner because they’re cheaper to replace. So if it’s a big session with lots of edits coming from sd2 translations. I would go with a spinner because they’re cheaper to replace than having your laptop fail from running it internal. Nowadays laptops have a button sized hard drive soldered to the motherboard. If it fails you’re out of luck. Also, I was referring to stock drives.
I would also like to note, magnetism holds a stronger bond. While silicon is more frail and fragile and more bound to break.
Another thing that would allow silicone to fail is carbonization. Seldomly spoken of, but a can of soda can do away with most silicone.

Last edited by spinsong; 08-24-2021 at 09:43 AM.