Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2019, 05:55 PM

Default Mac mini Intel UHD Graphics 630 ? (Audio and some video works)

Thinking of buying a mac mini with most upgrades:

to 3.2 GHz 6-core 8th gen i7
16 GB 2686MHz DDR4
2 TB SSD

Specs seem ok compared to an iMac but the one I am concerned (and no way to upgrade) is the Intel UHD Graphics 630

There would be more graphic upgrade options on an iMac (and out of my budget), but on the SSD angle, those new ones are limited to 1TB (another topic: but how you guys are dealing with such 256GB, 500GB and even 1TB machines doing audio work with PT ??...)

The machine will become my main desktop - for common stuff, but especially to run my DAW (with Pro Tools, Cubase and TB3 audio interface (UA Apollo x4), and doing some (more amateur) video work with Final Cut X

That being said, guess I would not need killer-graphic interface, but I do not want something either that would jam or freeze on displaying waves in a Pro Tools session...

Any advice on that graphic card in the mini for these uses ?
Old 12-28-2019, 06:46 PM

Default Re: Mac mini Intel UHD Graphics 630 ? (Audio and some video works)

You can use an eGPU via the TB3 connection if you want to beef up your graphics.

Also, IMHO, I’d put more RAM and less storage, assuming cost is an issue. Storage can be expanded via TB3 with NVME drives for performance on par with the int. drive.

Alternatively, you could use standard SATA SSDs via USB3 and save a boat load of cash. Yes, they are much slower than the newer NVME types drives, but much faster than traditional HDDs.

Lots of ways to go about it and everyone will have a different suggestion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-28-2019, 08:49 PM

Default Re: Mac mini Intel UHD Graphics 630 ? (Audio and some video works)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post

Also, IMHO, I’d put more RAM and less storage, assuming cost is an issue. Storage can be expanded via TB3 with NVME drives for performance on par with the int. drive.

Alternatively, you could use standard SATA SSDs via USB3 and save a boat load of cash. Yes, they are much slower than the newer NVME types drives, but much faster than traditional HDDs.

Lots of ways to go about it and everyone will have a different suggestion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sardi, thanks a lot - that make sense. I could probably live with more RAM and less storage. That also takes me to another dilemna I'm still having, even though I though I had inclined to the mini...

iMac 21inches has only 2TB ports, but 4 USB 3 (and no HDMI - which likely mean adding a second monitor takes 1 TB, and the UA interface the other. And its graphic card is far more superior. And is limited to 1 TB SSD, but overall with 32GB RAM would be several hundreds $ more...

The mini has 4 TB3 ports, but only 2 USB3 and 1 HDMI... And more flexible to travel with for long term stays.

The last thing I want is to replace a computer in 3 years ($3K is more than enough, I'd rather spend on new gear, new instruments :) ...

I think the mini offers more flexibility, as long as TB iterations keep being backward compatible...