Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 11-06-2016, 05:58 AM

Default Pro Tools Commit - Not routing through master fader

Hey Toolies!

So I upgraded (subscribed) to PT v12.6.0 - specifically and only for the "Commit" function so I can bounce out my stems simultaneously (as opposed to ol' solo each track and then bouncing stems individually).

My issue (or query) is that when I commit an audio track so it renders and then imports the wet (.cm) track with effects printed. It doesn't seem to have routed the original tracks level through the master fader before the .cm track is committed and re-imported. You would think by committing a track, you're committing it to the level of the bus that it's being routed to?? (in this case being the Analoge 1-2 output of kick > Analogue 1-2 input of master fader) Am I wrong?

So for example, I have a audio track (kick drum) with EQ inserted. The gain meter on the kick track is sitting at -1.7db when hitting. And I can see that on my master fader, the gain of the kick is sitting around -12.5db, this is because I have my master fader pulled down to around -22db (giving me headroom for when I give it master engineer)

But when I commit the track and it is reimported, the effects are printed, but the kicks gain is still sitting at -12.5db - Not at -22db (master fader level) which is what it would have been rendered to if I had just soloed the kick and bounced that track individually (the old way). This is an issue because I mix my projects referencing the master meter and the gain stage that it arrives there with. If I just commit all my tracks so then I can then Shift+K export, this isn't going to reflect my mix because the gain is not post-master

Surely I'm doing something wrong because if so, then this can't be effectively used to "bounce multiple tracks simultaneously". The same old solution must still be to just solo each track one at a time and bounce individually

I've attached a picture of the commit settings that I've used in this example (I don't use automation so I don't check those flags, but I have also tried with them flagged and it doesn't seem to achieve what I'm looking for.

Thank you heaps in advance for the time & support, and please remember I'm not a PT guru. Just a bloke looking for some answers..

Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Commit Settings.jpg (28.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-06-2016, 07:02 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools Commit - Not routing through master fader

HI samv !

I maybe wrong ( have to read more about it ) but as far i understand the commit track feature are pre Master Fader . I don't use this feature very much to be honest . :-/
Old 11-06-2016, 07:05 AM

It's working as intended. Committing a track is just that, committing that track with its processing. If it worked the way you want, then you'd be double processing all your track because they'd go through the master fader's processing twice.

The goal of the feature is to render out individual tracks (or busses) that you are "finished with" and don't intend to tweak anymore. Either to future proof them or to free up CPU cycles.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 11-06-2016, 08:38 AM

Indeed^^^ If you want/need the master to be "involved", then you should use Bounce To Disk instead of Commit

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-06-2016, 10:35 AM

Bounce To Disk/Offline/Import After Bounce.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction