Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2012, 05:21 AM

Default Music Production Toolkit 2 Replacement Licenses

Hey Guys,

Had an iLok stolen awhile back. Purchased a new one and am in the process of getting my licenses replaced. The only thing I ever purchased that required an iLok authorization was the Music Production Toolkit 2. As you may know, that toolkit comes with several programs, but it's one package deal. Now I'm being told I have to pay Avid's $20 replacement fee for each individual program (sometimes twice, once for plugin, once for "content" in the case of Structure) just to get them back.

Anyone had any experience with this? Just doesn't seem right to me. You buy it in one package, it should be one fee to get it back. Feel like I'm being taken advantage of after an already unfortunate event where my Mbox, iLok and external hard drive were all stolen.

Not made of money,

Jon
Old 01-04-2012, 06:55 AM

Default Re: Muisc Production Toolkit 2 Replacement Licenses

What if you got a guitar stolen? Would you expect Fender to replace it for $20?
You would pretty much have to buy it over again. If you had insurance on it, then the insurance company would basically be buying it over again. Why is software so different?
[email protected]
631 786 3924

Freelance Mac/Pro Tools tech for hire. Metro New York Area.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:15 AM

Because it costs nothing to send me a license again yet they want me to drop $200. Also no one can use the software but me since the old iLok has been deactivated and a letter proving that sent to Avid by Pace. So your comparison is illogical.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:30 AM

Though it was a package deal, upon registering the original package, Avid sent individual Ilok licenses for each program to your Ilok account.

Most likely these prices are dictated by Ilok, not Avid. Ilok may charge them a fee for each license to replace, and Avid may just be passing that cost on to you.

Once they are on the Ilok, they are treated as individual programs. If you were to sell the individual programs to various people, as I and many others have done, there's a $25 fee Ilok charges to transfer them to the new buyer, regardless of whether they were originally purchased as part of a package.

Note that this is not the case with certain bundles such as those by Waves, in which case the bundles are under 1 license and have to be sold as a bundle.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:39 AM

If that's the case, ilok charging just to receive licenses, wouldn't they charge initially when purchasing too? Doesn't make sense. Their site says they have no control over license recovery so you have to contact the original seller.
Old 01-04-2012, 01:15 PM

I feel that it shows a lot of good will that Avid is willing to replace those licenses at all. After all, that thief now has free use of them as long as he/she doesn't re-sync that ilok. There are software vendors that will tell you... Insurance is your responsibility, please re-purchase. If this was stolen from your house, check with you homeowners policy provider. They may cover you.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 01-04-2012, 01:26 PM

Default Re: Music Production Toolkit 2 Replacement Licenses

Apparently someone at Avid agrees with me because they just replaced all 8 licenses for no additional fee. Very happy.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:05 AM

Default Re: Music Production Toolkit 2 Replacement Licenses

Very nice of Avid.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com