Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2002, 07:33 PM

Default About to sell PCM91 in favuor of Ren Reverb-Reverb One - is this a mistake?

Lately I'v been using the ren reverb and reverb one with minor tweaks and not really getting much use out of the PCM91 as I am happy with the reverb - I'm considering getting rid of the hardware unit as I have ample DSP. Would this be a mistake? Has anybody else gone down this route and regretted it? Please let me know your thoughts as I cant make up my mind....

BTW anybody heard of an AKG mic called 'The Tube' - Someone is offering this to me for 2500 US - is this a good buy?? I cant seem to find any info on it anywhere.

Thnx
Old 04-11-2002, 07:53 PM

Default Re: About to sell PCM91 in favuor of Ren Reverb-Reverb One - is this a mistake?

I think its a big mistake to get rid of the 91. The plugin reverbs sound ok, but you can sure hear a difference between them and hardware. To me , the plugins still sound overly metalic. ( even the better ones ) There seems to be too much work involved to make them sound right and I would never use them on a lead instrument . But if your happy with them and can make them work for you, maybe it would be better for you to sell it. That is the big question.. are you happy with the results that you are getting? If you are and the 91 just sits, you might want to sell. ( I wouldn't )
Old 04-11-2002, 07:59 PM

Default Re: About to sell PCM91 in favuor of Ren Reverb-Reverb One - is this a mistake?

Regardless of how many cards you have, there is always a time when you run out of DSP and need a nice reverb anyway. Even if you have excess DSP, I still love the ease and speed of just using aux sends and harware effects rather than having to create custom bussing structures all the time. I also say keep it. The reason to sell it would be if you bought a 960!

However you would not be in error if you decided to sell the 91 to me - cheap! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

The AKG "The Tube" mic was AKG first attempt at recreating the c12 - but was back before retro was cool so they kind of made it into a compromise between retro and modern (and not a very convincing one). I've used one and I wouldn't buy it for $2500. Its not all that bad - it just ain't all that great. What you would want instead is a AKG C12VR - but that costs more. I prefer my Neumann M147.
Old 04-11-2002, 10:02 PM

Digital effect boxes are losing value in a very fast pace. Get rid of it while you can get fair value for it.
Old 04-12-2002, 02:27 AM

hi i saw a akg c12vr on ebay.uk for 1999U$$. http://listings.ebay.co.uk/aw/plisti...197/page2.html
i like the pcm91 compared to the PT verbs ive heard so far . good luck
Old 04-12-2002, 08:35 AM

Dude .....outboard VS. plugs .

your gonna start a WAR !!!!!!!!!!!!!

IMO i love reverb one .

but if i HAD an outboard verb .

i would AT LEAST keep it around a while.
Till I knew for sure.
Old 04-12-2002, 08:37 AM

Plugins are easier to automate even a single parameter, besides screen overview, etc but if I had a PCM91 or a Lexicom L series I would never look at plugins as a main reverb.

http://www.facebook.com/alecio.costa

PT Ultimate Native 2023.3 - Mac Mini M1 16GB RAM - Mac Os Ventura 13.2 - 2 192 IO Digidesign Digital

PT HD2 Accel - 10.3.10 OS 10.6.8 - Mac Pro 2008 16GB RAM

Mastering Gear: Pendulum Audio, Crane Song, Avalon, Great River, Sebatron, Sonnox, Izotope, PSP, TC, Fab Filter.
Old 04-12-2002, 08:38 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by tal herzberg:
Digital effect boxes are losing value in a very fast pace. Get rid of it while you can get fair value for it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

of course ......THIS is a very good point ..

if the unit doesn't support HD sample rates .........DITCH IT WHILE YOU STILL CAN !!!!!!!!!
Old 04-12-2002, 08:53 PM

IMHO, Reverb One is fine for lead instrument work... not so confident in Ren Verb... Reverb One is miles ahead of Ren Verb... the practicality of plug-ins outweighs the PCM 91... I'd sell it if I were you while it still retains value...
Old 04-14-2002, 07:45 AM

If the reason for selling is money then consider:

Let's say that you'll sell your PCM 91 and bought a reverb plug instead. 2-3 years from now...how much money will you be able to get for that plug in if you wan't to sell it? Probably much less than you will get for your PCM91.

-Robert