Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2007, 12:40 PM

Default 002 - Behringer ADA8000 - how do I get this thing working??

I have:

Powerbook 17"
1.5 gb ram
120 gb hd
OS 10.4

Protools 7.1cs10
Digi002R
Behringer ADA8000

So - I have basically three issues:

1. ANALOG INPUTS - I plugged four mics into the four pre-amped inputs in the front of the Digi002. I plugged four mics into the front of my Behringer ADA8000. I ran 4 XLR to 1/4" cables from the back of the Behringer to the 4 analong inputs in the back of the Digi002. The LED's on the Behringer were lighting up as having a signal - but the sound would not transfer through the Digi002. The Behringer has Phantom power which was turned on. I was mainly trying to use it as a pre-amp at first.

2. LIGHTPIPE - Then I decided to try the lightpipe. I ran a lightpipe cable from the 'OUT' on the back of the Behringer to the 'IN' on the Digi002. Still cant get any sound.

How do I set this thing up????

3. BLACK SCREEN OF DEATH - Also, my notebook keeps freezing, crashing, and cutting off during recording.

Any suggestions, please??

Also, should I upgrade to 7.3 yet?

- Mooby
Old 03-26-2007, 01:00 PM

Default Re: 002 - Behringer ADA8000 - how do I get this thing working??

Couple of points. Let's get the system working first.

Are you at 10.4.8? I would download that version with the COMBO Updater.

7.3.1cs2 is working fine for me.

Are you using an external hard drive for your audio?

If you plugthe mics into the 002, are you able to get audio from the 002 mic inputs? Did you make four tracks and assign the different inputs (mic 1-4) to those four inputs?

Is the mic/line button in the right position?

Phanton is required only for condensor mics. Are you using condensor or dynamic mics?

Check the operating level on both units. Are they set at "+4". Make sure you are using the XLR outputs.

Did you set tha hardware correctly to take in audio via ADAT. You also have to use that external clock to get the audio to transfer. Check the clock and the sampling rate is correct and that you are using the external clock as the reference.

From Digi:

To record from a digital source with Pro Tools:
1 Connect the digital output of the ADAT
source to the appropriate digital input of your
audio hardware.
2 If you want to start a new session with a dif-
ferent sample rate, do the following:
• Choose File > New Session
• Select the sample rate.
• Configure the rest of the New Session dia-
log accordingly.
• Click Save.

3 Specify the format (digital) of the inputs of the
audio interface to which the ADAT is connected:
• Choose Setup > Hardware.
• Choose the audio interface.
• Select the digital format for the appropriate
channel pair.
• Choose Setup > Hardware.
• Select the appropriate Clock Source con-
nected to the appropriate audio interface.
• Click OK to close the Hardware Setup dia-
log.
5 Create a new stereo audio track.
6 Assign the Input Path selector for the track to
the appropriate input. Since this is a digital
transfer, you do not need to worry about input
levels.
7 Assign the Output Path selector for the track
to the appropriate output for monitoring (such
as A 1–2).
8 In the Options menu, ensure that the follow-
ing options are deselected: Destructive Record,
Loop Record, QuickPunch, TrackPunch, and De-
structivePunch.
9 To have recording start from the beginning of
the session, click Return to Zero in the Trans-
port.

Some Digidesign I/O units only have two
channels that can be set for analog or digi-
tal. For example, Mbox 2 has S/PDIF L–R
(Stereo) digital inputs and In 1–2 analog in-
puts. Mbox 2 can record through analog
and digital inputs simultaneously.
http://www.videopark.com
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.
Old 03-26-2007, 01:13 PM

Ok this is the deal. That piece of gear is and A to D/D to A. This means that anything that you do with it goes into it analog then spits it out the light pipe out, then you bring this into your DAW. It has the functionality to work as the D to A as well. So that means that you can go light pipe out of your DAW, Which in your case is the 002, to the unit which then lets you monitor what ever you assign to the adat outs on the DAW so that you can put it into a mixer, or a dat, etc. So what you have to do is go into PT, under SETUP and go to HARDWARE. Change your clock source to ADAT. You have to have the 002 clock off that piece digitally in order for it to work. Then on the tracks that you want to record that use the adat 1-8 on the inputs of your track and that SHOULD work. Remember there might be something that you have to set on the piece of gear as well. Maybe some sort of sync thing?

As for upgrading to 7.3, I would do it, but it uses more resources, i.e (RAM) if you do a lot of midi production it is a must do upgrade. If you are just doing audio and have your editing workflow down, then don't worry about it so much, it has a few cool new features for audio editing, right click features that can enhance your workflow. I don't do video editing so that doesnt help me. Window configurations are very cool, especially if you have different workflows. I run it on both my Macbook and my Mac Pro and it runs flawless on both my systems.

Good luck!

Pro Tools 10 HD Native | Mbox 3 Pro | MacBook Pro 2.3 i5 | OSX 10.7.4

Pro Tools Music & Post Operator V6-8, Instructor, and Expert ICON Mixer Certified.
Multi-Platinum Pro Tools Videos
Old 03-26-2007, 01:15 PM

Whoa me and Park replied at the same time. Good deal. His is a little more intricate then mine. lol

Cheers!

Pro Tools Music & Post Operator V6-8, Instructor, and Expert ICON Mixer Certified.
Old 03-26-2007, 01:17 PM

Couple of points. Let's get the system working first.

"Are you at 10.4.8? I would download that version with the COMBO Updater.

7.3.1cs2 is working fine for me."

- Just downloaded it a second ago. Havent installed it yet.

"Are you using an external hard drive for your audio?"

- 250 gb external - with the qualified Oxford chipset - plugged into Digi002

"If you plugthe mics into the 002, are you able to get audio from the 002 mic inputs? Did you make four tracks and assign the different inputs (mic 1-4) to those four inputs?"

- 1-4 pre-amped mics work - 5-8 analog do not when run through the Behringer.

"Is the mic/line button in the right position?"

- yes

"Phanton is required only for condensor mics. Are you using condensor or dynamic mics?"

- I have some of both - So I leave the phantom power on all the time.

"Check the operating level on both units. Are they set at "+4". Make sure you are using the XLR outputs."

- Operating levels were set to +4. I am using XLR outputs on the Behringer.

"Did you set tha hardware correctly to take in audio via ADAT. You also have to use that external clock to get the audio to transfer. Check the clock and the sampling rate is correct and that you are using the external clock as the reference. "

- How do I setup the hardware and the clock?

Thanks for your time Park - I very much appreciate it.
Old 03-26-2007, 01:23 PM

One caution... maybe the unit does not output line level analoig from the mic pres. I can't tell from the specs and I don't own the unit. Like EvilElfBoy said, it may be the mic pres feed only the ADAT optical, not the lone out. Seems the line in feeds the ADAT out.

Found it. The mic pre or the line in DOES NOT feed the line out. So you have to use the ADAT optical to feed mics to the 002.

I should know, it pays to RTFM.
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.
Old 03-26-2007, 01:24 PM

Make sure that your daisy chain is like this: Computer goes to the Drive then the Drive goes to the 002 in that order! Always put the drive FIRST. You might want to consider partioning that drive so it's a little smaller, you can go halves with it. I usually never record on anything bigger then a 120 gig partion, especially when it comes to older machines. I'm sure Park will agree.

Old 03-26-2007, 01:38 PM

Thanks for all the help so far.

So,

1. I should run my computer to drive, drive to 002. (and partition it)

2. I can only send mic signals through the ADAT optical. (which I read the directions on-thank you Park)

3. I should upgrade to 7.3.1cs2.

Coupla questions:

Should I run both 'IN and OUT' of Behringer to 'IN and OUT' of 002? Or just 'OUT' of Behringer to 'IN' of 002?

Is there a boot order I should run? Computer - 002 - Hard Drive - Behringer? Any suggestions?
Old 03-26-2007, 01:49 PM

If you are using the Behringer as a mic pre, then only the IN of the 0002 is necessary.

If you also want to use the analog outs of the Behringer, then you will need to hook up the out of the 002.

I would turn on the hard drive, Behringer, 002, computer in that order.
Old 03-26-2007, 01:51 PM

I got this off the Behrnger Website:

Question

Can I use this unit as an analog preamp?

Answer

There is no direct connection between the analog inputs and the analog outputs on the ADA8000, as this device is "intended" to be an A/D or D/A converter as opposed to an analog preamp.

However, you can route the digital/optical output of the ADA8000 into it's own digital/optical input. This would effectively "jumper" the connection, and will effectively achieve route the analog inputs to the analog outputs.

Do you think "jumpering" the connection will hurt anything in any way?

Thanks again - Mooby