How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 09-11-2021, 10:32 PM

Default Re: Promo for perpetual license holders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
I think this is aimed at people that have let their pan lapse as a way to go ‘hey, check out what’s new for a year on the cheap’, get them hooked and hope they keep subscribing.
I agree. Seems like this is the essence of it.
"Keep your perpetual license…" …and let us slowly lure you on to the subscription plan.
Old 09-12-2021, 02:15 AM

There are no good deals with Avid. Everything has a hidden penalty or gotcha. So many rules. If they can ever start offering generous deals with no downsides and become truly customer-focused, then we wouldn’t have to hyper-analyze their FAQs. Nice try Avid. GTFOH
Old 09-12-2021, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontLetMeDrown View Post
If they can ever start offering generous deals with no downsides and become truly customer-focused...GTFOH
Maybe they try to change some things, before it's too late for them..... (Personally i really doubt, but...).

Before that email with the discussed offer, they sent one with that content:

How likely are you to recommend Avid to others?

This question should be asked ages ago, IMO if our feedback means a lot to them, as they phrase it...which clearly doesn't.

I find kind of insulting to ask for my opinion when in their own forum the expressed opinions and criticism is all over the place. It is some clicks away to find out how much you've screwed it up Avid.

Even if the last releases are to the right direction, feature wise, your business practices suck, so i would not recommend Avid even to my worst enemy, nobody deserves that much punishment. Maybe everyone who feels the same and got that email should respond accordingly....

Cheers!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2021-09-12 at 15.24.00.jpg (27.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-12-2021, 06:47 AM

Humm, am I missing something ? I don't understand all the confusion,, or ringing of hands and gnashing of teeth,,,,, seems pretty clear to me (at least I think I get it ) .

With this promo You get $100 off of the price to switch to an annual subscription for 1 year, then would be paying normal subscription price after that (and I simply assume if in that year you do not also renew your perpetual support/upgrade plan, you would loose the ability to renew the perpetual support/upgrade plan, and would then be only on a subscription and the perpetual would be frozen with no way to opt back in for annual upgrade/support .

And I agree for me (having a current perpetual upgrade/ support plan and it being the same price to renew as the regular annual subscription price ) it makes no sense ,,, given I also don't care about the additional Inner Circle offerings .

Given the price is same for either the annual perpetual upgrade/ support plan, or the annual subscription. The only possible business advantage or incentive for Avid to try switch perpetual holders to subscription, is .. That annual perpetual holders can opt out of renewal and simply continue use the perpetual license frozen at the level at time of opt out , where subscribers cannot they must renew to use PT

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...

Last edited by K Roche; 09-12-2021 at 06:58 AM.
Old 09-12-2021, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
Humm, am I missing something ? I don't understand all the confusion,, or ringing of hands and gnashing of teeth,,,,, seems pretty clear to me
You say you don’t understand, but you do. The point is, it’s not a good deal, but people were trying to understand if it is.
Old 09-12-2021, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontLetMeDrown View Post
You say you don’t understand, but you do. The point is, it’s not a good deal, but people were trying to understand if it is.
No the point is, whether it's a good deal or not,,, is subjective to the individuals situation, and is probably not universally or objectively "not a good deal"

For just one example ::: if for business, someone was planning on going to the subscription model for simplification in writing off the cost every year ( I know three pro studios who did this) , then this promo is a reasonably good deal to move that way. Or if like several producers I know, who have decided to go to subscription to be able to opt in and out of PT at will on a monthly basis, this promo might be a reasonable way to go that direction it's basically the cost of 3 months of subscription but you get the entire first year .
Or if as in the FAQ you have a perpetual license but let the annul upgrade/support expire (AND) you want to be able to use the latest version you can do so for $100 off the annual subscription price for a year.

Ok I suppose some could be confused, I thought it is fairly clear from the info . But I do not understand all the angst about it ,,, either choose that option or don't... ???? What the info says to me is , you can keep the perpetual (frozen if expired or not renewed ) and would then be moving to the subscription model for upgrade and support .....

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...

Last edited by K Roche; 09-12-2021 at 11:19 AM.
Old 09-12-2021, 02:51 PM

Given Avid's previous form I think Moogboy100 got the thrust of this offer in a nutshell.
Might be ok for some though, just check the fine print.
Old 09-12-2021, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Humm, am I missing something ? I don't understand all the confusion,, or ringing of hands and gnashing of teeth,,,,, seems pretty clear to me (at least I think I get it ) .

With this promo You get $100 off of the price to switch to an annual subscription for 1 year, then would be paying normal subscription price after that (and I simply assume if in that year you do not also renew your perpetual support/upgrade plan, you would loose the ability to renew the perpetual support/upgrade plan, and would then be only on a subscription and the perpetual would be frozen with no way to opt back in for annual upgrade/support .

And I agree for me (having a current perpetual upgrade/ support plan and it being the same price to renew as the regular annual subscription price ) it makes no sense ,,, given I also don't care about the additional Inner Circle offerings .

Given the price is same for either the annual perpetual upgrade/ support plan, or the annual subscription. The only possible business advantage or incentive for Avid to try switch perpetual holders to subscription, is .. That annual perpetual holders can opt out of renewal and simply continue use the perpetual license frozen at the level at time of opt out , where subscribers cannot they must renew to use PT
The thing is, there is no renew support plan available if you let it lapse. IOW I let my support plan lapse in 2020 and now on my products page it simply offers subscription plans and no renewal/support for perpetual. The latest info I had was that you have to find a reseller who still has renewal plans available as Avid is no longer creating new ones for lapsed perpetual owners. Not that I can find.
Attached Images
File Type: png pt renew.PNG (18.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-13-2021, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64GTOBOY View Post
The thing is, there is no renew support plan available if you let it lapse. IOW I let my support plan lapse in 2020 and now on my products page it simply offers subscription plans and no renewal/support for perpetual. The latest info I had was that you have to find a reseller who still has renewal plans available as Avid is no longer creating new ones for lapsed perpetual owners. Not that I can find.
Yes that is my understanding also . Not sure when exactly , but I do remember Avid announced that was going to happen well in advance of the date it came into effect.

Thing is, honestly I don't see a significant issue per se ???
Since it was you who let it lapse, you were apparently ok with it being frozen at the version you were on in 2020...........

You seem to be exactly who this promo is targeted at. You can still keep and be able to use your frozen perpetual version But you will also be able to subscribe to a current subscription update/support plan for $100 less than if you were to have kept current and renewed a (non lapsed) perpetual upgrade/support plan , at least for the first year,,, and then you can continue to subscribe at the same price as renewing a non lapsed perpetual upgrade/support plan (ergo I don't see an issue)

The only difference of course is your perpetual will not be upgradeable which apparently seems to be the choice you made in 2020 ,,,understanding I may not know your entire specific story, is you choosing to let it expire the situation ? Or am I missing something ?

BTW back in the day the Captain of my ski team had a brand new 64 GTO what a cool car .

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...

Last edited by K Roche; 09-13-2021 at 06:45 AM.
Old 09-13-2021, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Yes that is my understanding also . Not sure when exactly , but I do remember Avid announced that was going to happen well in advance of the date it came into effect.

Thing is, honestly I don't see a significant issue per se ???
Since it was you who let it lapse, you were apparently ok with it being frozen at the version you were on in 2020...........

You seem to be exactly who this promo is targeted at. You can still keep and be able to use your frozen perpetual version But you will also be able to subscribe to a current subscription update/support plan for $100 less than if you were to have kept current and renewed a (non lapsed) perpetual upgrade/support plan , at least for the first year,,, and then you can continue to subscribe at the same price as renewing a non lapsed perpetual upgrade/support plan (ergo I don't see an issue)

The only difference of course is your perpetual will not be upgradeable which apparently seems to be the choice you made in 2020 ,,,understanding I may not know your entire specific story, is you choosing to let it expire the situation ? Or am I missing something ?

BTW back in the day the Captain of my ski team had a brand new 64 GTO what a cool car .
If you let your perpetual license expire, after the one year of promo rate, you'll find yourself having to pay $799 for the annual Ultimate sub. This is $300 more than just renewing support of your non-expired perpetual. Sounds like a case for a deceptive marketing lawsuit.