Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2016, 01:41 AM

Default New Mac Pro- Keep Sierra or Install Yosemite?

Hi all, I just ordered a mac pro I got a deal on and I have to make a decision. I am reorganizing my whole home studio and just added the apollo 8. I use an early 2013 macbook pro retina and I previously had upgraded it to El Capitan but had some quirks with missing drives etc so I rolled back to Yosemite. Now mind you as far as I could tell PT12 ran just fine.

So that takes me to the next part. When this system shows up I will likely format and reinstall the OS bare minimum. Its only a 256gb SSD but I am eyeballing some larger ones. However I have a lot of external USB3.0 drives and if they perform nice I may just use those for now. So the big question is do I just reinstall the latest Sierra or stick to what I use today? I am of a mind to go with Sierra but keep my macbook on Yosemite. Its unlikely I do much on it in the future for this but I may tinker on travel composing or editing and I will want to be able to plug in an external drive to either and load. If my versions of PT12 are the same I dont think OS will factor in at all. My new Mac Pro will have 32gb but ill probably upgrade to 64 at some point soon. Thoughts and experiences? Thanks. Peter
Old 12-23-2016, 01:55 AM

Default Re: New Mac Pro- Keep Sierra or Install Yosemite?

No experiences but have heard of success with 12.6.1.on Sierra. I would have the new machine on Sierra unless you have plugs that aren't compatible.

Carl
PT 2021.10 HDX 16x24 -Mac Pro 12 Cores 48 GB RAM OS 10.13.6 - API 16 channel - AMS Neve 16 channel, AMS-Neve-SSL -Pres/Processing, Bock Audio, BLUE Bottle, Neumann, Josephson -Mics, Bogner, Kemper- Guitar, Chandler Zener-Curve Bender Outboard/Master. UAudio, Waves, Plugin Alliance etc.
Old 12-23-2016, 02:21 AM

Sierra works fine here. Why not try it?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCw...ogfR_7Q/videos

------------------------------------------------------
PT2023.12, OS X Monterey, Late 2013 MacPro, 6 core, 64 GB RAM, Orion Studio, Slate Raven MTi2, ISA428, ADL600, Distressor, Grace 501, Dimedio, Obsidian, One LA, BAC500, Harrison 32 EQ, UAD2 OCTO, Focal 6 be, Auratones...
Old 12-23-2016, 04:06 AM

No problems on MacOS, try it.
Old 12-23-2016, 04:54 AM

I own several Mac Pro's. All were bought while the firmware allowed installation of OSX back to 10.9.5. A friend bought a used newer version earlier this year which had firmware which would only allow installation of El Capitan and beyond. We have since installed Sierra and really have had no problems with PT12HD.
Old 12-23-2016, 05:44 AM

Sierra handles the graphics better and I feel it works better, so stick with it! :)

Phone +46707773443
Old 12-23-2016, 10:44 AM

Ok great. As far as plugins, I have the new apollo 8 unit and those will work plus some toontrack stuff and those should be fine. I was leaning to Sierra and will do that. Thanks for the feedback. I know El Capitan was buggy but everything I read said for the most part Sierra was a good experience. Peter
Old 12-23-2016, 11:05 AM

Sierra is great in every aspect. We use it on multiple machines with Pro Tools 12.6.1 with Softube, Waves, McDSP, Exponential Audio, Brainworx, iZotope, etc. plugins and all our experiences are positive.