Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2011, 11:03 AM

Default Re: Unable to locate Digidesign Hardware

Hey GD,
No prob...

Quote:
Could you please tell me how to go about getting those drivers and I'll try to install those first then the 8.1.1 software.
Yeah, the drivers are placed on your hard drive with PT when you install the update, but for some crazy reason, they often do not install. Someone with more tech knowledge than I will have to tell you "why"...

I ran into this problem when I did BOTH my update to 8.1, and then again, yesterday when I updated to 8.1.1. The 8.1.1 prob, however, was likely due to my cloning my system drive to an SSD and using it. However, it was a much trickier fix than correcting 8.1. That's why I suggested doing 8.1 FIRST, and seeing if you could get things working.Again, sorry, I digress....

So...
what I'd try first, is to update to 8.1 (ONLY, not 8.1.1).
After you do the update, the drivers (as you've found out), won't be installed properly... you'll be getting the yellow "warning" flags in Device Manager.

1) In Device Manager, click (or double click) on the individual icon for one of the flagged drivers.

2) In the new pop up window, go to the "drivers" tab and select the "update drivers" button.

3) You'll be given a choice to "look for new drivers on the web" or to "specify a location for new drivers" Choose the "specify" option, then browse to the folder I mentioned earlier. (In Win 7, running 64 bit, it's Local Disk/Program Files (x86)/Digidesign/Drivers...)
[NB:This location contains 3 subfolders- one for midi, one for ??, and a 3rd named something like DalW4M or whatever. It's this 3rd folder specifically that has the interface drivers, but if you just select the overall "Drivers" folder, PT should be able to figure out the rest.]

4) Once you've chosen this folder, select "update" and you should see the yellow warning icon for that driver disappear.

You have to repeat these steps for every flagged driver... takes a couple minutes, but it'll get ya' back up & working...
If ya' have any other Q's, feel free to ask... I'll try to answer what I can.

IHTH man!

MacPro 7,1; 16 core OSX 13.5.2
PT 2023.9; Eucon 2023.6
Dock/S1/2x iPad
Old 03-14-2011, 11:15 PM

I did what you suggested above by upgrading to 8.1 and reinstall the drivers because they had the yellow mark and were located under other devices.
It seemed to work and everything was moved to Sound, Video and Game Controllers with no yellow marks.

Then I updated 8.1 to 8.1.1 and got the yellow marks back and did the same by assigning the drivers again. This time all it did was to move everything to the Sound, Video and Game Controllers only this time it still has the yellow marks.

I never tried to launch 8.1 after reassigning the drivers. I guess I should have done that. But I just immediately updated to 8.1.1 after the drivers seemed to be working.

Anyway I guess I'll just have to do the whole thing again only this time I'm obviously going to have to stop at 8.1.

GD
Old 03-15-2011, 06:35 AM

Hey GD,
What a hassle, huh?
Good to hear that at least the drivers updated to 8.1, man.

Yeah,you're right, stopping at 8.1 is the way to go for now... seems like there's some "buggage" in the 8.1.1 updater... I've unfortunately come to expect this from Avid/digi when they release an update...

Hopefully, over the next month or so, things will get sorted out by DTS and you'll be able to get up to 8.1.1...

PT 2023.9; Eucon 2023.6
Dock/S1/2x iPad
Old 03-15-2011, 09:08 AM

Rick,

Two more questions:

1. Wouldn't getting PT9 solve this problem, if I go all the way back to PT 8.0.

2. If I got 9 would I have to install some drivers first and go through all that?
I would think not being as how it's supposed to work with Win7 64 out of the box.

You have been tremendous help to me and I am very very grateful.

Thank you

GD
Old 03-15-2011, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Two more questions:

1. Wouldn't getting PT9 solve this problem, if I go all the way back to PT 8.0.

2. If I got 9 would I have to install some drivers first and go through all that?
I would think not being as how it's supposed to work with Win7 64 out of the box.
Hey GD,
I wish I could answer those for you, but I have ZERO experience with PT9.

I CAN, however, offer some insight...
Each cs update is "supposed" to fix issues with the prior build without causing additional problems. However, my experience, FWIW, over the last 8 years has been that about 30% of the time they induce additional problems. Like most things in life, ya' just have to work thru those when they happen. Thankfully, there are a number of helpful folks on this forum for just such occasions.

When it comes to complete new Versions, however (i.e. PT7, 8, 9), that "additional problems" % goes up to about 90%. PT8 was just a complete friggin' disaster,IMO. (and I waited 7 months before moving to it from 7.4.2, in order for most of the "bugs" to be "worked out beforehand"- NO SUCH LUCK.)
For myself, I've not seen any reason to risk the upgrade to PT9 now that 8 is stable. Having PT on my MBP for editing just isn't worth the potential problems. Although our studio is small, we stay pretty busy and cannot afford another 6 months of AT LEAST BIWEEKLY session cancellations/rescheduling that occurred during the debacle that was 8.0 on a PPC G5.

The GOOD things I learned from that experience (and from others on this forum) were to:
1) ALWAYS clone your sys drive before doing ANY update/upgrade (whether 8.0-8.1, or 8 to 9), that way, if disaster happens, it's as easy as popping out your sys drive and putting back in your prior clone. (Acronis works well on PC, CCC works for mac)
and
2) I don't need the latest & greatest. I just need a stable system that allows me to do my job. For as much sh*t as StudioJimi took for his "hold fast" stance re: upgrading, the dude def. espoused a valid operating paradigm.

Lastly, more than glad to help. I've been helped countless times on this forum by other, far more knowledgeable, members. All the best in your decisions & work, GD!

PT 2023.9; Eucon 2023.6
Dock/S1/2x iPad
Old 03-15-2011, 03:39 PM

Just to conclude I wanted to tell you that I installed 8.1 again did the drivers and am now able to run PT without it crashing every 30 seconds, like 8.0 did, and without it not recognizing the hardware like 8.1.1 did.

Thanks A LOT for your help!!!

GD