Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 11-01-2010, 06:29 AM

Default MacBook AIR and Mbox2/PT8

I just came back from a friend who showed me how smoothly Logic runs on the new MB Air (11"!).

I am interested in doing some recordings that would demand extreme mobility, so MB Air could come in handy. Is there a way to record PT sessions on the USB external disk now?
Old 11-01-2010, 06:45 AM

Default Re: MacBook AIR and Mbox2/PT8

AFAIK usb drives are still unsupported. I wouldn't hold my breathe for that to change, but you never know.
Old 11-01-2010, 03:24 PM

Is there maybe a FW to USB cable that would work? I find it ridiculous that the most sophisticated little computer can't work with PT.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:54 PM

No USB-Firewire is going to work here. The Macbook Air, as cool as it is(and as sophisticated as you call it) is still a poor choice for Pro Tools. It was designed to be elegant, slim and lightweight.....NOT to be a powerhouse for DAW use Is there really a dramatic difference in portability between the AIR and a MacBook Pro?

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-01-2010, 06:00 PM

albee, the thing is so well engineered that running Logic is not a problem. The speed of flash "disk" compensates for the comparatively slow CPU or small amount of RAM.

Your "powerhouse DAW" is so nineties... :)
Old 11-01-2010, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiegoFox View Post
albee, the thing is so well engineered that running Logic is not a problem. The speed of flash "disk" compensates for the comparatively slow CPU or small amount of RAM.

Your "powerhouse DAW" is so nineties... :)
Good, then get yourself an mbox hook it up and run it. I'd love to hear the results.

You obviously know a lot about computers and DAWs if you know about USB to FW cables and adapters.

Last edited by BGMusic; 11-01-2010 at 07:10 PM. Reason: added more stuff
Old 11-01-2010, 08:06 PM

My dear fellow, whatever you might wrongly presume, MacBook Air I talk of is still a whole lot more powerful than any of your celebrated DAWs not too many years ago (say - 8?). And I assume you would proudly stand by your work of then?
Old 11-01-2010, 08:15 PM

Quote:
My dear fellow, whatever you might wrongly presume, MacBook Air I talk of is still a whole lot more powerful than any of your celebrated DAWs not too many years ago (say - 8?). And I assume you would proudly stand by your work of then?
True, but most current software you're going to want to run is far more CPU/RAM hungry than what was around in the 90's.

FWIW, I think you'll prob be fine running PT on that thing. If you're not planning on recording many channels simultaneously, you'll be fine.

Whilst the consensus is to record to an ext FW drive (I agree) I have recorded MANY vocal takes and run quite large track count sessions off the internal 5400RPM drive on my 2Ghz C2D MacBook using an original MBox.

Can it be done? Yes. Is it recommended? No.

I agree about the MBP 13" being a better bet and it really isn't that much more bulky than the MBP all things considered.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:29 PM

Sardi, thx for the input, especially this part:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
T
Whilst the consensus is to record to an ext FW drive (I agree) I have recorded MANY vocal takes and run quite large track count sessions off the internal 5400RPM drive on my 2Ghz C2D MacBook using an original MBox.
As we talk of FLASH storage and not the "slow" 5400RPM drive, I am getting convinced that it could work well without external disk, provided - as you said - that there are not to many tracks (for the project I have in mind I count on 4).
Old 11-02-2010, 10:36 AM

Quote:
As we talk of FLASH storage and not the "slow" 5400RPM drive, I am getting convinced that it could work well without external disk, provided - as you said - that there are not to many tracks (for the project I have in mind I count on 4).
Well, there's only one way to know for sure....

(You can always tell who the pioneers are because they have arrows in their back and are lying face down in the dirt.)