Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 01-29-2004, 09:45 PM

Default School

First off i'm sorry for misusing this fourm by asking a question not directly related to Pro Tools, despite this I hope someone will still help me. I am hoping to become a recording engineer in southern California and have taken a couple of classes at the local jounior college. From there I got a job working in the college's MIDI lab. I had almost compleated a certificate in MIDI and Recording when, thanks to our lovley new governor, the entire department was cut. Over the summer my father passed away which has left me with quite a bit of money that I know he would have wanted me to spend on education. I know that some Universitys offer degrees in recording but many of their websites are very uninformative. I have also been looking into trade school type recording schools (i.e. The Los Angeles Recording Workshop, or the Musicans instatute). I must admit that these schools are tempting but I don't know how legitimate they are. I would be very greatful for any advise at all, especally from someone who work in a studio.
Old 01-30-2004, 12:44 AM

Default Re: School

I would buy my own set of how to books and read read read. Then after about 3-6 months of that (minimum) I would purchase my own set of equipment and learn it on my own. Especially in this industry. At the end of the day, success in this industry is going to be solely based on what you are capable of doing, meaning how much gear and experience do you currently have. I think school in this industry is about a 4-5 out of 10 regarding getting in the door. So for the money in exchange for the education, I wouldn't do it.

Edward
Vancouver Film School-Sound Design For Visual Media graduate 2003
Certified Pro Tools Operator Music/Post
Still unemployed after 1 year

Running own business now instead and still looking for work
Old 01-30-2004, 07:49 AM

I almost completely agree with zoner..

I would recommend buying lots of books, setting up your onw small home studio to learn on and go to a 6 or 9 month school to learn the very basics and fundamentals of audio and audio engineering.. Mind you, not the slick ssl type of school, but a school that teaches you how to solder, troubleshoot, and to understand HOW things work. Then find a really good audio engineer you can learn from and get an internship!... Meanwhile continue working in your home studio to build up your chops. then start growing your business or try to nail down a gig at somwone elses studio.
Be a nudge, ask lots of questions, and keep your eyes and ears open!

Nailing down a gig in the audio industry is like stepping back into the dark ages... You have to know someone, or do a very very long ( and mostly unpaid ) apprentiship, or take a long shot and open your own shop. It's a very "guild" oriented mentality you are stepping into.
cheers
georgia

Hilton Media Management

Film Doctors http://www.filmdoctors.com
Me... http://georgiahilton.webs.com/
Stage 32 http://www.stage32.com/profile/6569/georgia-hilton
My Production Company http://www.hiltonmm.com

CREDITS (partial) http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0385255/resume
MEMBER: IATSE LOCAL 700
Old 01-30-2004, 08:57 AM

I don't think anyone here is going to tell you to go to recording school in these times. I have a friend who did that whole thing and he's just like me: looking around for a job/internship now.

I think that if you don't have any post-high school education, going to UCLA or Berkley would be a growing experience. You could take physics, music theory, and accounting all in one place. And you could make recordings for musicians in the music department with all that free time.

And don't worry if a school won't let you take courses outside of a certain "major". Instead, ask to audit a class (take it and review it, as opposed to getting a grade), or just threaten to take your tuition money elsewhere.
Old 01-30-2004, 12:02 PM

I'd say get a college education, if it includes information about recording, music whatever great. But personally I think a college education of some sort is important, regardless of what you do. (OK, not if you're going to paint houses for a living)

The recording industry is tough, whatever you do make sure at the end you have the option of doing something else for a living if the audio stuff doesn't work out.
Old 01-30-2004, 07:40 PM

I went to a recording school up in Seattle some 10yrs ago and that was right before the audio engineer boom took off. It was funny cause I started out with like 30 people per class and as soon as I got to the more complicated classes, there ended up being so few of us. Up to maybe 7 per class. But the school was gearing up with more classes and less studio time was available to book. The cool thing was that i was taken in by 2 teachers at school, and helped them on weekend sessions when the school was closed working on music gigs, and I had an everyday intern job at Clatter and Din studios, which was way ahead of its time as an audio post house. Nowdays i recommend that the youngins find a good engineer to work with and apprentice for. Learning the gear properly is what u got to do first. After you got the knowledge its all about practice and practice. Ive seen people that pick it up like nothing and people that just crash and burn. I'd risk on buying a small set-up and try getting an internship (if the pay doesnt kill ya, if it pays at all). And bout a college degree--------i took 2yrs of college before i went to recording school. I also have my Real Estate and Appraisers liscense. I dont need them at the moment, but gear is expensive, and if you run your own place, ur gonna need back-up while u get started (unless u get lucky and win a hella lot of money). Its a fun, exciting risky biz, but if it wasnt, i wouldnt be doing it. Good Luck with what u do

Hector Ramirez
www.dsdstudios.net
dsd_studios@hotmail.com
Old 01-30-2004, 09:58 PM

I'm sorry to say this dude but I don't think that these audio engineering schools are real schools. I mean if you want to learn a trade so you can go and use it in the business world...An audio engineering school doesn't carry the same weight that regular institutions do for other professions. Do studios recognize audio engineering degrees? I think that experience is a much bigger factor.

In the end it's about making contacts to try to get your foot in the door, and then proving yourself in the studio by a) your skills as an engineer, b) how well you take instruction (your professionalism), and c) how well you interact with the staff and clients at the studio. If you think you can get that at an audio engineering school, then by all means, go; but if you check out like SAE, I think it's like $13, 000 a year. You could pump that money into building a nice studio, which you have for the rest of your life, build a little business around it, and still make inroads into a professional studio though offering your services for free.

That being said I've never attended an audio engineering school, but in finding out about them, they all seemed like shams. Forgive me for asking, but is this the type of education your father would have wanted you to spend his money on? I only ask because you brought it up.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 02-05-2004, 02:27 PM

Hi Spacemanmatt!

I’m new to this forum, but I might have some insight on this subject.

First a little bit about myself.
As my username might suggest I’m from Norway. I’ve been working in the sound industry for about 15 years and currently I’m the sound course leader at the largest institute for stage and studio in Scandinavia. I also have my own studio practice mainly working in the record industry. Most of my work is mixing.

As people before me has pointed out, attending a sound course will not get you a job. In fact I would say that the best course you could get for that one purpose in mind is taking a "smile course for cabin personnel”.
After all no one likes working with an ass, and to be successful in this industry you have to be likeable. I can say that though you might read about producers, engineers or artists acting like an ass, you can rest assure that they didn’t start as one.

I do agree as some before me have pointed out that the best way into the business is to get practice in a studio with tuition from one or several experienced sound engineers. However, if this is not an option for you I would unlike most of the other answers in this thread recommend that you attend a school. Besides from getting a solid foundation in the art of sound engineering, attending a school will also provide you with a network to the industry as you meet other people with the same interests as you. And with that in mind you should try to find a school as close to home as possible, or be prepared to move... After all, your network will be built in the same area as the school is located.

I would also recommend that whatever you might choose you should buy yourself a simple sound rig. Since you are posting in this forum you might have one already...? Take a listen to "critique my rock mix" under Pro Tools TDM tips and tricks. Great sounding with a minimum of equipment!

I don’t recommend learning on your own from a book. At least learn the basics from someone experienced. There’s a lot more to sound engineering than just tweaking those knobs!

Old 02-12-2004, 01:32 PM

In addition to what everyone else has said, I think that you will gain a great deal of knowledge from working in other studios as you are building your own. Even if it's a non-paid job of getting coffee for the engineer, you will pick up a lot of information in the studio that you won't get in the books. Ask a lot of questions and compare how different engineers and different studios handle the same situations.

You can also learn a lot from the trade publications like Mix.

Manufacturers put out a lot of free publications with lots of good info. They want you to have success with the equipment you buy. Shure has some good, free, publications about sound and microphones. Knowing the physics of how sounds are created and captured in microphones is important for a good sound.

Hanging out here on the DUC will give you a good education.