Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > Storage Subsystems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2002, 09:43 AM

Default In Praise of GLYPH

I just want to publicly thank Glyph for thier GREAT tech support. I own and operate a Mix+ system, and record/mix a weekly TV sitcom (among other things). I had recently purchased a new Glyph 36GB chetta drive from my great friend Raff @ Westlake Audio. I own the latest updated versions of DiskWarrior & TechToolPro, andf use them regularly to keep my volume directories healthy, ect.
Well...I got lazy, and didn't have a tape backup of some things That I'd put on my 36GB drive. The next day, I couldn't pull anything off of this drive. Both of the afformentione uttillities could not help me, and warned me that there was damage to the volume directory. I didn't freak out yet because I didn't write anything to the drive from the moment I got these warnings-very important btw.
(side note: I could mount it and "see" my files....I could even copy some of them...but they were corupt at this point)

Anyway. The point is. I paid more for this drive than if I had bought it off the "internet", But I was able to just hand it to Raf, he Next-day-shipped it to glyph. that was yesterday, I spoke with them a half hour ago....and they got everything back.
Otherwise I would have had to pay for data retrieval. Yes , I SHOLUD have had this double backed up (tape, ect). I goofed. but my point is that if you do this as a buisness, it sure is nice to have a fast, proffessional, non-expensive back-up, that takes the pressure off. It allowed be the peace to relax the client.

THANKS GLYPH
Old 07-30-2002, 08:20 AM

Default Re: In Praise of GLYPH

I had the same type of experience, when I was recording major stuff in the DC/Maryland area... and I didn't back up! Well, I called Glyph in a heated panic, and they guided me through a few trouble-shooting methods. I didn't want to send the Hot-Swap drive out, because of it's contents. Glyph assured me that they often have crucial audio on drives sent in, and would be careful. So, I sent it in, they sent me a replacement Hot-Swap the next day, then somehow fixed the problem, with no harm to the files, and sent me the original drive, with files, and a backup AIT tape with the same data. YESSSSSS! It's now four years later, and I moved to Ithaca, NY, and work at Glyph!