Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2010, 12:01 AM

Angry Multiple Digi Interface use with PT9

I cant be the only one who has a couple of Different Digi devices that are still used for different reasons having headaches with getting PT9 to see both devices and allow you to use them. I am running on a mac... and through ver 8 I have been able to run my 002R and Mbox2 Mini on the same computer, at different times of course... but now I cant?
Here is the issue.. I have downloaded the most recent drivers from Avid for the 002R and the Mbox2 Mini... I install both on the computer.. then install PT9.
Installs run fine... no errors or hangups. I launch PT9 with the 002R connected... works great.. .all I/O are seen and it even lists it in the Hardware Setup box. So I close out of PT.. and disconnect the 002R and connect the Mini... launch PT and just like the 002R it works fine.
Now here is where it gets ugly. I close PT9 down and disconnect the Mini and reconnect the 002R.. and notice while the software loads that the 1394 connection indicator on the 002R is not lighting up... then once PT launches it says that there was a hardware I/O that changed and to see the I/O listings to find out what was changed.
So I go to the Hardware Setup in PT and notice in the Peripherals box that the 002R is no longer listed there... only Pro Tools Aggregate I/O is there. So I launch the Setup App and see that the 002R is greyed out... and shows 0 I/O and cant change anything on it.
Ok.. so I close PT and reconnect the Mini... launch PT and get the same error. Check the settings again an Same thing... not listed in the peripherals box... and greyed out. But this time if you click on the Pro Tools Aggregate I/O in the Audio devices it lists the Mini as a 2 in 2 out device taht you can select to use and it will include these I/O in the Aggregate settings now. But I need to have the 002R configured as well. I want to be able to leave the studio rig in the studio and take the mini out to do little things... I dont want to have to get a different interface for the singe tracks done here and there outside the studio.

Has anyone else run into this at all? I mean multiple devices used at different times having issues getting PT9 to see them?
Old 12-15-2010, 12:28 AM

Default Re: Multiple Digi Interface use with PT9

Unfortunately the Digi002/003 family of interfaces do not work with Aggregate i/o. The still only work with their own single device driver exclusively.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 12-15-2010, 12:52 PM

I know they dont work in that section.. so that is why I am wondering why it keeps losing my drivers and launching the Aggregate I/O
Old 12-15-2010, 04:13 PM

Talking Re: Multiple Digi Interface use with PT9

I cant believe how simple the solution is...4 hours of hold time.. .and several disconnects from the support line... it only took 5 minutes for the tech to explain it. Something I never had to do before. Hold the N key down when launching PT9. It will then bring up the playback engine box and see whichever of the two devices I have connected. Then continue with the load out and there you go... all done...
Old 12-15-2010, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappatoad View Post
I cant believe how simple the solution is...4 hours of hold time.. .and several disconnects from the support line... it only took 5 minutes for the tech to explain it. Something I never had to do before. Hold the N key down when launching PT9. It will then bring up the playback engine box and see whichever of the two devices I have connected. Then continue with the load out and there you go... all done...
Or if you happen to forget to hold the "n" key and you open PT9 just go to set up>playback engine (instead of hardware) and select which ever one you want to use in there.
Old 12-16-2010, 09:00 AM

The problem with not pressing the N while PT9 loads is that it automatically will revert to the aggregate I/O and does not load the drivers for the 002 or the Mbox... and with no drivers... you cant configure it. So holding the N key while PT loads is the only way to force it to search for the connected device while loading.
Old 12-16-2010, 11:57 AM

Quote:
The problem with not pressing the N while PT9 loads is that it automatically will revert to the aggregate I/O and does not load the drivers for the 002 or the Mbox... and with no drivers... you cant configure it. So holding the N key while PT loads is the only way to force it to search for the connected device while loading.
Did you try it the way I suggested? setup>playback engine
Old 12-17-2010, 12:12 PM

bless you for this post!! i have also spent hours trying to find out why when i launch pro-tool 9, my Digi 002R was not recognized!...not obvious this thing of holding the "n" key! but now all is back to peace of mind!
Old 12-17-2010, 12:15 PM

Quote:
So I close out of PT.. and disconnect the 002R and connect the Mini... launch PT and just like the 002R it works fine.
Now here is where it gets ugly. I close PT9 down and disconnect the Mini and reconnect the 002R..
I hope you're not doing this while the computer is on...

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 12-18-2010, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dism View Post
I hope you're not doing this while the computer is on...
Why not? Both USB and FireFire are hot-pluggable.