Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2010, 09:45 PM

Default Why won't Core Audio Work

Hi there,

Running PT 8.0 on Leopard 10.5.6.
Audio seems fine with Pro tools.
When I go to use Itunes or other progarams I want to use my 002R for sound..
When I open iTunes, the music only plays through the computer and not through core audio...

Core Audio (i thought) is meant to automatically load when 002R is connected.. is that right? I've had it working on previous systems.. no probs..

Anyway.. Core Audio is not loading... Even if I open Core Audio manually still nothing...
If I go to system Prefs>Sound, the 002 is there but not selected... so I select it for Output... still nothing.

Something's not right. .

What should I do?

Cheers
Old 02-05-2010, 09:53 PM

Default Re: Why won't Core Audio Work

The most basic question first: when you're selecting the 002 in Sound Prefs, you're definitely selecting it in the "Output" tab, not the "Sound Effects" tab, right?
Old 02-05-2010, 11:29 PM

Yes... I'm setting it for output... No joy... From what
I remember I shouldn't need to do anything... I think
core audio is meant to start up automatically if
I have the 002 connected.
Old 02-06-2010, 05:47 AM

anyone??
Old 02-06-2010, 08:06 AM

Sometimes you have to reboot several times for it to work. The only work around I found that worked was reinstalling PT.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:16 AM

Core Audio is just Apple's name for basically the entire audio subsystem, so it "starts" anytime you turn your computer on. I assume you mean that you expect the 002 to be selected as a sound output (and for it to work ) when you connect it. That should indeed happen if it was selected as the output device when you last disconnected it (or turned off the computer). Since it's not working like that, you have a badly installed driver (or a broken driver).

So yes, I'd reinstall Pro Tools, since that's what contains the 002 driver for Core Audio. You should *not* need to install the separate "Core Audio drivers" package if you install Pro Tools.
Old 02-06-2010, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinningDisk View Post
Sometimes you have to reboot several times for it to work. The only work around I found that worked was reinstalling PT.
The only work around I found that worked was not to use it

Mac Intel 2.93Ghz 12 core - 64gb RAM - OS 10.12 - PT 12 HD Native - Lynx Aurora 16 - Lynx Aurora 8 - UAD Quad - Logic, VEP 6
_____

Spark moderator & beta test for Arturia
Old 02-06-2010, 06:30 PM

I installed the complete 10 year suite of Arturia synths today including the brass and although they use the same core audio driver and they were made by the same company, installed from the same box, core audio wouldn't play two of them in the suite! Explain tat one. I had to resort to my internal card.

That's how much of a buggy piece of crap the core audio driver is

Mac Intel 2.93Ghz 12 core - 64gb RAM - OS 10.12 - PT 12 HD Native - Lynx Aurora 16 - Lynx Aurora 8 - UAD Quad - Logic, VEP 6
_____

Spark moderator & beta test for Arturia
Old 02-06-2010, 08:43 PM

Try deleting these files (Mac perspective) on your Hard Drive from your system prefrences

com.apple.audio.audiomidisetup.plist

com.apple.midi.xxx.plist

empty trash and restart

Or Download a handy app called

"ProTools Pref and Database helper"
Old 02-06-2010, 11:09 PM

Here is the reply from DTS to a similar thread:

Quote:
For 002/003 and original Mbox 1 owners:

1. The CAM is single client only and cannot be used when Pro Tools is running.
2. After you quit Pro Tools, give it 30-60 seconds to release the hardware before launching CAM.
3. Verify that CAM is showing your hardware and that it's connected before launching the application you want to play through your Digi hardware.
4. As with Pro Tools, give it 30-60 seconds after quitting CAM before launching Pro Tools.
5. Always make sure your Digi hardware is turned on before booting up the computer. Sleep mode is not supported - if your computer goes to sleep you should restart and power cycle your Digi hardware (during the dark period of the restart) before using CAM or Pro Tools.

If you continue to have problems, try this:

Quit out of all open applications.

Trash the following preference files:

1. Mac HD > Users > (Your User Name) > Library > Preferences > com.apple.systempreferences.plist (delete this file)
2. Mac HD > Users > (Your User Name) > Library > Preferences > com.apple.audio.AudioMIDISetup.plist (delete this file)
3. Mac HD > Users > (Your User Name) > Library > Preferences > com.digidesign.CoreAudioManager.plist (delete this file)
4. Mac HD > Users > (Your User Name) > Library > Preferences > ByHost > com.apple.systempreferences.xxxxxxxxxxxx.plist (delete this file)

Empty the trash, restart and power cycle your Digi hardware.

If that doesn't help, please let me know which drivers you have in the folder located at MacHD>Library>Audio>Plug-Ins>HAL.
Note that this advice did not fix my problems but it has for others..

I finally upgraded to Snow Leopard and 8.0.3 at the same time and CAM finally started working correctly.. There must have been some lingering setting somewhere in my Leopard install that was conflicting..

Also, in reference to the idea of installing the standalone drivers..

DON'T DO IT.

If you have PT installed then you do not need the standalone drivers and, in fact, according to DTS "Bad things will happen" if you install the standalone over an install of PT