Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 12-20-2009, 10:14 PM

Default Pro Tools 8 100GB??????????

I have Pro tools 8 on my mac and it is taking up 100GB++++ of hard drive space. When i deleted it i got all the space back. So here is my question. How is it that pro tools 8 and one audio project was taking up 100Gb of space. Is it possible i was doing the audio files wrong or that maybe there were libraries of plug in's that took up that much space.

Just trying to find out why

Thanks all

And FYI i am new to all of this so if this is a repeat question i am sorry.
Old 12-21-2009, 12:38 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 8 100GB??????????

first off, you should not record on your system drive--you should have a separate drive for your session and audio files. the digi documentation makes that pretty clear.

secondly, digital audio takes a lot of hard disk space. 24-bit 44.1 kHz files use approximately 7.5MB per track minute. if you run 88.2kHz, you're talking 15MB/track minute. get a big session with lots of audio, and you'll use several gigs for that song.

but 100+ Gigabytes? nah. i've never used that much space for an entire CD. something else is going on there. the PTLE folder should run about 4GB.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nob turner View Post
first off, you should not record on your system drive--you should have a separate drive for your session and audio files. the digi documentation makes that pretty clear.

secondly, digital audio takes a lot of hard disk space. 24-bit 44.1 kHz files use approximately 7.5MB per track minute. if you run 88.2kHz, you're talking 15MB/track minute. get a big session with lots of audio, and you'll use several gigs for that song.

but 100+ Gigabytes? nah. i've never used that much space for an entire CD. something else is going on there. the PTLE folder should run about 4GB.
I know i should not record on my system drive but it was on my laptop at the time and that was all i had. But all i had was 15 minutes worth of audio and it all edited. Nothing major just a very basic podcast. But yes it had over 100Gb when i deleted the software.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro1 View Post
I have Pro tools 8 on my mac and it is taking up 100GB++++ of hard drive space. When i deleted it i got all the space back. So here is my question. How is it that pro tools 8 and one audio project was taking up 100Gb of space. Is it possible i was doing the audio files wrong or that maybe there were libraries of plug in's that took up that much space.

Just trying to find out why

Thanks all

And FYI i am new to all of this so if this is a repeat question i am sorry.
The installer for PT8 is about 4.x GB. It might expand to double that for the installation. There is additional content that might add up to another 5-10 GB (loops and stuff) I think if you received the DVD installers for PT8 then you might have gotten the optional Structure plugin and it's optional Goliath library. That might be another 60-70GB. If you don't own that plugin, then you shouldn't install the sample libraries.. It sounds like you have already un-installed everything, but it is easy enough to go through a few folders and "Get Info" on them to see where the large chunks are..