Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2017, 10:15 AM

Default Re: Curious: How many of you are letting your license ride..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tao Jones View Post
Yeah but I'm on Sierra. It happens when I'm mousing around selections in the edit window.
Then it must be a GPU drivers thing. What computer are you using and if you have combination of motherboard GPU and dedicated GPU, which one are you using? I have a late-2013 MBP and use the dedicated GPU (w/2GB) and I don't have this issue...
Old 03-25-2017, 10:17 AM

Cylinder Mac pro Octo core. D300 GPU.
Oh, driving two monitors. One connected to TB and the other to HDMI. I only had those adapters on hand.
Old 03-25-2017, 10:27 AM

That seems weird... Your computer's GPU should be much more capable than the one in mine
Old 03-25-2017, 10:42 AM

Yeah, wondering if I should bring it in to Apple. Can I still call avid support even though my update license is expired?
Old 03-25-2017, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Yeah, wondering if I should bring it in to Apple. Can I still call avid support even though my update license is expired?
I think you have to have a valid update plan to get free support calls
Old 03-25-2017, 12:52 PM

I didn't go for the support plan in 2015 and stayed with 11.3.2 on Mavericks. Haven't missed anything since then and spent the money on new monitors
Old 03-25-2017, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Cylinder Mac pro Octo core. D300 GPU.
Oh, driving two monitors. One connected to TB and the other to HDMI. I only had those adapters on hand.
Make sure those monitors are on separate busses. The hdmi output shares one of the thunderbolt buses and apple only recommends one monitor per bus.

[SIZE="1"]Mac Pro (Late 2013)
3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5, 32 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB, Dual 4Tb Thunderbolt G Drives
Acer B326HUL 32" 2560 X 1440, VIZIO video monitor
Mojave 10.114.6, Pro Tools 20.3.0.163
Digital Performer 10.11, MOTU 1248 (Thunderbolt), MOTU 2408 MkII (x2), MOTU MTP AV USB (x2)
Old 03-25-2017, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ripley View Post
Make sure those monitors are on separate busses. The hdmi output shares one of the thunderbolt buses and apple only recommends one monitor per bus.
Didn't even think about the busses. I just put the monitors on their own bus, per Apples diagram, and the meters are still lagging when I'm nudging, mousing selection... Etc. The meters are fine when I'm not doing anything in the edit window. It even lags when I'm moving up and down tracks using ; and p. Moving midi notes around during playback is almost impossible because the midi editor lags. Not sure if having 2 years (current sale) of support/updates would be a good safety net for issues like these.
Old 03-26-2017, 01:33 AM

I'm on the latest OS (Mac) and pro tools 12.7.1 ... I've been upgrading every time there's been a new version released since pt 8. It's over for me.. I love pro tools but I honestly don't think I have been getting anything game changing new since I bought pt 11. All this cloud collaboration thing is a big pile of "waste of time/money" for me.. may be it's working for others!? I think the annual upgrade plan has become a "mystery bag" .. maybe you'll get something for your money.. maybe not. I'm very happy with my current version of both OS and PT so I'll keep it as it is and won't gamble any further! I'll reconsider upgrading if something game changing comes up.. unfortunately AVID have not come up with anything useful for me since my latest renewal a year ago, so I'll keep my money this time and enjoy making/mixing music

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-26-2017, 05:53 AM

Don't know if it's paranoid to think that, but the whole yearly renewal makes me think they have no incentive to deliver a rock solid version. If they do, they know that a lot of people will stay there for years and will renew for a bit more cash in 5 years and it would be more economical than renew every year.

I've renewed twice since the model started alway in the hope I get a solid version( I don't expect a perfect, bug free version but at least something more reliable than now) but I think I'll live with the last version I get with my current program and be done with it.

Audio-wise it's not bad at all but I always get weird problems with Midi recordings, stuff I never have to think about in Logic. It gets old at some points.

Blink