Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2000, 02:07 PM

Default G-Port?

This is supposed to be a USB to Serial PCI card...

Anyone know anything about it? Will it support my G4/Studio 4 setup?
Old 10-25-2000, 06:00 PM

Default Re: G-Port?

You need a G4port for the newer AGP graphics macs (Gport is for older macs). I don't know the website (and can't think of the manufacturer right this second) but if you search the DUC for G4port you'll find it.
Old 10-25-2000, 08:27 PM

The company is called Griffin Technologies.
Old 10-26-2000, 12:39 AM

thanks for the info guys .. I didn't have time to ask the real question I wanted to ask earlier so here goes ...

Here's my situation:

I had a Beige G3 up until about 2 weeks ago. I had a 3 ADAT setup with BRC and was sequencing in Studio Vision Pro, using Studio 4 as my interface. I decided to get rid of the ADATs because them ****s was gettin on my nerves! So I ditch the ADATs and get Digi001 (with the Beige G3 mind you). So I setup the Digi and disaster strikes. Seems that there's a glitch (error -6045) that ONLY occurs when running Pro Tools on the Beige G3. There's no way around this thing. I called Digitech Tech Support and they told me (and I quote) "Basically, you're screwed with that G3" ..lol

So I had to scrap the Beige G3 and get a G4 (so I thought). I get this G4 and I look on the back and it's all USB! I basically want to get back to sequencing in Studio Vision so I can dump all my tracks into Pro Tools. How do I go about doing this? I'm hearing none of the Serial to USB converters support the Studio 4 interface.

Please help me! Help me! Help me!

Old 10-27-2000, 04:26 AM

I have been down this path, but I have the answer.

I initially bought a Keyspan usb-to-serial adaptor, but found the software very iffy. Now I have the Griffin G-Port, and it works PERFECTLY. There is now a real serial prt on the back of my G4. I plug in my motu MTPII, and go to work. Just like I always did before. I don't know about the Studio, but after dealing with Studio 3's back in the 80's, I swore of Opcode interfaces. I have had a MTPII for many years now, and never wanted to change it out. Now with the G-Port, I don't have to.
Old 10-27-2000, 07:57 AM

I use the GeeThree Sleath Port modem to serial card for my G4 500Mhz AGP. Info is one their website www.geethree.com. If you want to order one, use www.outpost.com They offer "free" overnite delivery( if your in their zone and "zero" tax!! I think they're $49.95 but I'm not 100% sure........