Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 05-13-2012, 01:02 PM

Default Placing Regions always overwrites Region beneath ?

Hey People... I hope this is not too stupid of a question, but I've spent a lot of time with reading TFM .. and I just can't find an answer...

When I place a region into the timeline, e.g. I drag and drop it from my regions list, desktop, whatever (slip mode)... it always deletes the region or parts of it that were in the same track before - in the positions that will be covered by the new region !
This is non-destructive, I know, but the old region below it will either be gone (if it was smaller in total length) or will have a "hole" where the new region was placed. Whenever I move the new region and there is something lying around underneath it will produce even more "holes"...

I know .. I can UNDO this, but (a) sometimes the region I place in the timeline is longer than I thought and will destroy something outside of the current screen (something lying further down the timeline I cannot see).

Also I have heaps of tracks already and scroll myself to death, I dont want to create a new track just for safety every time I place some larger region or audio file in the timeline (and I don't want to zoom in + out all the time to check if there is 100% free "room" underneath before I place a region or soundfile in existing tracks)

In logic, which I use a lot too, the region below (if any) will just stay like it is and I can move the newly placed region around without leaving a trail of destruction (not in the real audio but in all the work I put into editing the regions). This is -at least for me- a far more convenient way to work...and feels "safer" too. Logic will always jump to play the region placed on top last - in case there are multiple ones on the same track. Which is a good solution in my POV.
I tried to find a pref in PT where I can e.g. decide how to handle it but couldn't find it. I would prefer not to go into this whole take-compiling thing too, it's rather confusing for my style to work....

So: will PT ALWAYS destroy or harm regions below it when I place a new one on top of an existing one ? No way to turn that off ?
Hard to believe

IM still on PT8 but I guess these basic things have not changed in the meantime... (PT9 or even 10)

Thanx !

Hard: ProTools HD 3, PCI-e core & accel, 96 I/O, 192 digital I/O, HD MADI / Sync I/O (not sync HD)
Quad-Core Mac, Intel
Old 05-14-2012, 07:40 AM

Default Re: Placing Regions always overwrites Region beneath ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeFromBerlin View Post
So: will PT ALWAYS destroy or harm regions below it when I place a new one on top of an existing one ?
Yes, kind of. But the regions aren't actually destroyed. They're still in the Regions bin. Believe it or not, PT is designed to work that way. I know it might seem counter-intuitive at first when you're used to something else. But it has its advantages and disadvantages, just as Logic's way does. It's only a matter of getting used to it and developing a workflow that takes best advantage of how it works to accomplish what you want.

One way to do that is with Playlists. If you think you might want to get back to a particular arrangement of regions on a track, or if you're not sure how much of a track will get changed by dropping a new region onto it, duplicate the playlist first. That way you can always recall it, every detail of it, even after closing and reopening the session. It helps to name the playlists - something like ElGtr A.Qd.01 - so that when you're looking through the list of playlists on a track, you know immediately, "Oh, that's the first quantized version." Things like that.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 05-14-2012, 09:02 AM

Default Re: Placing Regions always overwrites Region beneath ?

OK, now I know for sure

I will try to work myself more into the playlists things, I think thats a good idea from you for sure...

Thanks for all the information ! Cheers

Hard: ProTools HD 3, PCI-e core & accel, 96 I/O, 192 digital I/O, HD MADI / Sync I/O (not sync HD)
Quad-Core Mac, Intel