Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2007, 08:17 PM

Default recording to 2nd internal SATA vs firewire

Is there any advantage to either of the following scenarios?:

1) Store your most processor intensive sample libraries on the second internal SATA drive and record to external firewire, OR

2) store your most processor intensive sample libraries on external firewire and record to internal 2nd SATA drive?

What do you prefer?

Jerry

Dual 2.5 G5, 8 gig, PTLE 7.3.1 cs4, lotsa VIs, 2 UAD cards
Old 11-16-2007, 09:47 PM

Default Re: recording to 2nd internal SATA vs firewire

I bet #1 would be the better setup unless you do a lot of editing on-the-fly.
Old 11-17-2007, 03:42 AM

Hi, if you use a lot of samples in your sessions then i would store the samples on the sata and record audio to the firewire.

Firewire = 400 mbps
Sata = 1.5 Gbps
Sata 2 = 3 Gbps

If it's sata 1 then it has the bandwidth equivalent of almost 4 firewire drives. If it's sata 2 then you can do the maths. All the better for bringing those sample libraries across.

Cheers

Oh, how i wish i had a mac pro. Then i would have two extera sata drives and get shot of firewire altogether. Albeit for backup purposes.
Old 11-17-2007, 07:38 AM

Looks like Option 1 is out in front.

Here's another consideration: workstyle. I'm old school. I get a part I like, I print it. I may come back later, tweak the midifile and print again, but I very seldom run what I'll call "live midi".

I bring all this up in the first place because a geekazoid friend of mine tried to convince me recently that of these two paths, one was inarguably far superior to the other and the other a mistake...period. When forming an opinion on something like this, I've always found it true that thousands of geekazoids are better than one!

Jerry
Old 11-17-2007, 08:14 AM

I'd say print the track. You'll have it for archival purposes and you won't have to worry about getting that exact sound back if something happens to the MIDI set-up or tha actual instrument.

I'm assuming your "geekazoid" friend is a proponent of live midi? Assuming you would bring the live instrument into your mix through an aux input anyway, I would expect no difference in quality between live and printed. However, if you are mixing through an external console, you may perceive some difference between live and printed due to timing, clocking, and converter differences. Maybe you could get the same sound running the printed midi instrument back through the console. But I still contend you'd want to print the track for archiving in either case.

Bob