Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 03-30-2009, 05:59 AM

Default HD for orchestra library?

I am on the verge of purchasing a fairly expansive orchestra library - would it be more optimal to store the library of audio files on an external firewire hard drive, or on an internal hard drive? In terms of external hard drives - can someone recommend a good/reliable one (TB)? Thanks. dave
Old 03-30-2009, 06:07 AM

Default Re: HD for orchestra library?

Always Glyph....

Cheers,

JoeTools
Old 03-30-2009, 06:18 AM

Either or would be fine as long as its a good 1; of course Glyph would be a good choice...OWC drives are good too...there is a lot choices...Personally I use internal sata Samsung drives for my libraries but thatz just my preference...

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 03-30-2009, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagesound View Post
I am on the verge of purchasing a fairly expansive orchestra library - would it be more optimal to store the library of audio files on an external firewire hard drive, or on an internal hard drive? In terms of external hard drives - can someone recommend a good/reliable one (TB)? Thanks. dave
What computer are you using? If it is a Mac Pro, I recommend an internal SATA drive, there is space for 4 total (OS X + 3).

I own 50+ Seagate ATA and SATA drives and have never had a problem with reliability. There was a firmware problem with Seagate drives, but that was like 3 months ago, so the pipeline should be clean and it was user/dealer updateable. I just paid $72 (CAD) for a Seagate 500GB bare drive, 3.5", 7200RPM, 32 MB Cache, at a local computer store.

Any of the manufacturers of current technology SATA drives will do the trick, unless you are asking for some very unusual performance. Don't go much larger than you need to, as the drive can get segmented as you add/remove data, and then the heads have to seek further, which will slow it down.

Buy 2 drives, and backup your library as well. I suggest a simple USB drive cradle for backups. There are many manufacturers. Here is a proven example (ThermalTake BlackX):http://shop1.frys.com/product/555766...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG
Old 03-30-2009, 02:47 PM

An internal SAS should be faster than any external firewire drive.

I have 4 1.5T Seagates in my Mac Pro, and have set aside a 1T partition for samples.

If you can go internal, I would.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:29 PM

Internal!