Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2009, 05:02 PM

Default Metering?

I have an 003 factory and I have a keyboard hooked into it. I have recorded some midi and want to hear it play through the keyboard. I record enable the keyboard track and hit play, there is sound, but neither the meter in the mix window nor the meter on the board move at all. When I push stop, they kind of jump to around where the audio level is and drop. Is there a way to get metering during playback with a track record enabled and playing? If I am recording I get metering, if it is not playing I get metering, just not when I push play. I swear it was working before and now its not.

UPDATE: This only happens when the output is set to analog 1/2. If make another audio track and set the input to a bus, and send the original track to that bus I get metering on both.
Old 10-14-2009, 05:40 PM

Default Re: Metering?

Back up a bit and try this. Assuming you have midi recorded, make sure you have a midi cable running from the 003 out(1 or2) and into the keyboard midi in. Create a stereo aux track and patch the keyboard outputs into a pair of inputs and assign them to the aux track. Play the keyboard yourself to verify that it does work and you hear the keyboard in your session. If that works, hit the play button. If you are not hearing the midi track playing over the keyboard, stop and make sure of 2 things. 1-midi thru should be checked, and 2, the midi track is set to feed the correct midi out port that feeds the keyboard. Let us know if none of this helps.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-14-2009, 05:58 PM

The midi is playing back on the keyboard, there is audio, just no meter to reflect its volume. Like I said, I used the keyboard to record some midi, then record enabled the audio track. Now at this point if I just push a key on the keyboard I get meter levels bouncing up and down and audio. Now I push play, the midi starts playing, there IS AUDIO playing back from the keyboard, but the meter is not showing anything. If I move the fader down the volume moves down but no meter.

My setup is as follows: Keyboard is hooked up via firewire (motif xs8). I have a midi channel set to ALL input and Motif channel 1 out. I have an audio track set to input analog 1/2 (where the motif is plugged into) and output is analog 1/2. Like I said I have audio playback on the monitors and if I actually record I get metering and audio is recorded. But if I dag and drop in a wave file or something into another channel and I want to play along I hit play, and I have no metering, but the audio still plays.

To better illustrate my point here is a video capture of the screen: http://www.shatteredeye.com/PTmeter.mov
Old 10-15-2009, 06:39 AM

Any suggestions? During the clip I can hear audio the whole time so its not input only or auto monitoring since those do what they respectively should. I guess I will try to trash prefs when I get home, worst case I guess I am reinstalling pro tools....again
Old 10-15-2009, 07:41 AM

If a track is armed to record but the main transport is not armed and it is in play mode then the level meters will not show the input level.

If not in play mode with a track armed OR if in record mode the level meters will then work.

Is that you mean?

A:)
Old 10-15-2009, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ace1 View Post
If a track is armed to record but the main transport is not armed and it is in play mode then the level meters will not show the input level.

If not in play mode with a track armed OR if in record mode the level meters will then work.

Is that you mean?

A:)
Yes
Old 10-15-2009, 02:36 PM

FIXED:

Trashing preferences fixed the issue. Hooray!
Old 10-17-2009, 10:53 AM

Ok, so sorry to dig this up again but after trashing prefs and this constantly coming back I figured out why it does this. When I have LOW LATENCY MONITORING on it will not meter during playback. If I turn it off it meters during playback. Is this normal behavior?