Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Carbon

Old 11-30-2020, 08:24 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools Carbon Laptop Fan Noise

Hey Mark! Yes, my support code is 04065976.

Thanks!
Chris
Old 11-30-2020, 09:15 AM
Avid

Default Re: PT Ultimate I/O Problem

Hey Chris

If you have not already created a case, could you please do so and let me know the Case number so we can work on a solution for you?

Thanks!

Mark
Professional Audio Systems

For immediate assistance:
Pro Tools & Eucon Surfaces - +1 888-456-3444
Venue Support - +1 978-275-2557

Find out how to create, manage, and edit cases online now HERE
It's fast, easy, and effective!
Old 11-30-2020, 12:03 PM
Avid

Thanks Chris, I'll make sure it gets picked up asap.
Professional Audio Systems

For immediate assistance:
Pro Tools & Eucon Surfaces - +1 888-456-3444
Venue Support - +1 978-275-2557

Find out how to create, manage, and edit cases online now HERE
It's fast, easy, and effective!
Old 12-18-2020, 02:45 AM

I have the same problem with my Mac Pro 6.1.
The fan get to the max when Carbon is active.
I also opened a support ticket. Hope they get a quick fix. I really really like carbon. Was a good decision to make the change from may Apollo silver

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
Old 01-21-2021, 08:28 AM

I am also having a problem with the fan noise and high CPU. I noticed that the AvidAppManHelper is eating up a lot of CPU and mem too.
Old 02-24-2021, 08:56 AM

Hi, I've the same problem here on my Macbook Pro 15-inch, 2019, 2,3 GHz Intel Core i9 8 core.
In my case, the cpu work remain low.
I've just opened a case at Avid support.
Regards

Last edited by thealtsax; 02-25-2021 at 04:07 AM.
Old 08-10-2021, 06:06 AM

Hi, thought I‘d give AVIDs hardware a shot, as it is best implemented into ProTools. I bought a Carbon end of June and can‘t get it to work flawlessly since. The fans instantly go up when I plug it into my MacBook Pro, 15“, late 2019, 8-core i9, 32 GB RAM, Catalina. The kernel_task „explodes“ and coreadio seems to crash a lot. So basically I have a a brilliant result of engineering in my studio, that I can‘t use for professional purposes.

I need it up and working till next week as I‘ll be out recording for the European Parlament (cultural department) and can‘t risk a system-fail.

This problem is known since end of last year. So there for sure is a fix already baked right?

Kind regards form Vienna Austria, Ulrich
Old 08-10-2021, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris August View Post
Not Responding
When a process says this on Activity Monitor it means there is incompatibility or a bug. Unfortunate for you, but let's assume it is not a bug because there are many happy campers so please double check your OS and PT versions. After that also double check whatever plugins you are using, because even single bad plugin may cause that. Easiest check for plugins is to throw everything to unused folder as PT will copy core plugins back and you will instantly know if it is some third party plugin that caused your trouble.
Old 08-10-2021, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
When a process says this on Activity Monitor it means there is incompatibility or a bug. Unfortunate for you, but let's assume it is not a bug because there are many happy campers so please double check your OS and PT versions. After that also double check whatever plugins you are using, because even single bad plugin may cause that. Easiest check for plugins is to throw everything to unused folder as PT will copy core plugins back and you will instantly know if it is some third party plugin that caused your trouble.
Sadly not true here. The CoreAudioD process goes nuts as soon as an AVB device is connected. It happens in Catalina (10.15.7) and Big Sur (I've tried 11.2, 11.3 & 11.5 & 11.5.1).
I don't have any other AVB devices to try ('cos it's a nuts way of attaching an studio project audio interface), but I suspect the problem is Apple's, not Avid's.

The only reason I think I can use the Carbon with immunity from drop-outs and laptop-fan noise, is because I'm using a Mac Pro, not a laptop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by U.KUSTIK View Post
Hi, thought I‘d give AVIDs hardware a shot, as it is best implemented into ProTools. I bought a Carbon end of June and can‘t get it to work flawlessly since. The fans instantly go up when I plug it into my MacBook Pro, 15“, late 2019, 8-core i9, 32 GB RAM, Catalina. The kernel_task „explodes“ and coreadio seems to crash a lot. So basically I have a a brilliant result of engineering in my studio, that I can‘t use for professional purposes.

I need it up and working till next week as I‘ll be out recording for the European Parlament (cultural department) and can‘t risk a system-fail.

This problem is known since end of last year. So there for sure is a fix already baked right?

Kind regards form Vienna Austria, Ulrich
If the Carbon fan is ramping up, then you have a different problem - either you're not using the updated firmware that came with PT 2021.6 or it's hot where you are, or the Carbon doesn't have enough ventilation. I guess there could also be a hardware problem.
Old 08-11-2021, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominicperry View Post
Sadly not true here. The CoreAudioD process goes nuts as soon as an AVB device is connected. It happens in Catalina (10.15.7) and Big Sur (I've tried 11.2, 11.3 & 11.5 & 11.5.1).
I don't have any other AVB devices to try ('cos it's a nuts way of attaching an studio project audio interface), but I suspect the problem is Apple's, not Avid's.

The only reason I think I can use the Carbon with immunity from drop-outs and laptop-fan noise, is because I'm using a Mac Pro, not a laptop.

If the Carbon fan is ramping up, then you have a different problem - either you're not using the updated firmware that came with PT 2021.6 or it's hot where you are, or the Carbon doesn't have enough ventilation. I guess there could also be a hardware problem.
Hi dominicperry, thanks for the quick response! I've checked if it's a plugin issue, but they seem to integrate flawlessly without using up the CPU. Unfortunately I can't put a MacPro in our budget right now. This would solve my issues I guess. Still my Laptop is in the computability-chart of AVID and my thought was to buy a system that distresses the CPU of my MacBook, not the other way round.

The Carbon itself shows no real fannoise. The thing itself is just a brilliant piece for producers like me. In case it finally will work as planned ^^

I opened a case at AVID-Support and hope they have a quick fix ready. Need it up and running by next week ><