Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Mac)

Old 06-28-2013, 04:33 PM

Default Fast Track Pro spdif out to 003 Spdif In

Yes, that s my question... could I use a fast track pro Spdif out to my 003 rack spdif in...

All I want is to use the FTP preamps so I can see them in PT...

I already have the optical spdif of my 003 connected to a ART DPS II

Thanks a lot people....
Old 06-28-2013, 08:06 PM

Default Re: Fast Track Pro spdif out to 003 Spdif In

anyone?
Old 06-28-2013, 08:07 PM

First of all, if you're using Spidf optical, you can't use Spidf coaxial at the same time, so that won't work.

Secondly, I'm pretty sure the Fast Track does not have a standlone converter mode, so you wouldn't be able to use it that way regardless.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
First of all, if you're using Spidf optical, you can't use Spidf coaxial at the same time, so that won't work.

Secondly, I'm pretty sure the Fast Track does not have a standlone converter mode, so you wouldn't be able to use it that way regardless.
yes, I was planning on conecting the DPS II via adat and then use Spdif rca..

Well I guess I wil have to test it out...

So what would be the spdif out used for then ??
thanks
Old 06-29-2013, 07:52 AM

I thought you meant you were using Spidf optical. Sorry about that.

The Spidf out, just like any of the analog outs, will only pass audio when it's hooked up to the computer. As for uses, someone might use the Spidf out to an external digital to analog converter. Or in the process of recording, use the Spidf out to an external digital processor (like a hardware reverb) and back in through the Spidf in.

The point is that to function as you were wanting, it would have to have a mode that allows it to be a standalone converter. The vast majority of interfaces, by any brand, do not have this feature. They simply function as audio interfaces with your computer.

Some interfaces that do have this feature, would be the Mbox 3 Pro, Focusrite Saffire seried (and some of the Scarlett series), the (now discontinued) Apogee Ensemble, and maybe a few others.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:35 AM

Quote:
I thought you meant you were using Spidf optical. Sorry about that.

The Spidf out, just like any of the analog outs, will only pass audio when it's hooked up to the computer. As for uses, someone might use the Spidf out to an external digital to analog converter. Or in the process of recording, use the Spidf out to an external digital processor (like a hardware reverb) and back in through the Spidf in.

The point is that to function as you were wanting, it would have to have a mode that allows it to be a standalone converter. The vast majority of interfaces, by any brand, do not have this feature. They simply function as audio interfaces with your computer.

Some interfaces that do have this feature, would be the Mbox 3 Pro, Focusrite Saffire seried (and some of the Scarlett series), the (now discontinued) Apogee Ensemble, and maybe a few others.
ok thanks a lot, so what happens if I connect FTP spdif output to spdif input in 003 rack??

thnks
Old 06-29-2013, 10:47 AM

Hey, guess what, I was wrong, according to the manual. It does actually function as a standalone converter, so you should be fine. But you'll have to read the manual to find out how to set it up. Might be something in the contro panel software.

But as mentioned, many interfaces don't have this feature, so you want to be careful buying any on that assumption.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Hey, guess what, I was wrong, according to the manual. It does actually function as a standalone converter, so you should be fine. But you'll have to read the manual to find out how to set it up. Might be something in the contro panel software.

But as mentioned, many interfaces don't have this feature, so you want to be careful buying any on that assumption.
I already have the FTP... thanks a lot, I will read the manual...

I guess it has something to do with the direct monitoring knob or something in the front panel....
but that's great news that I will be able to add those two preamps to the 003 and see it in PT..

thanks again
Old 04-10-2014, 07:36 PM

Hi.
I need to do the the exact same thing (use a Fast Track Pro only as mic preams conected a Digi 003 rack + via spidf) and I have read every manual and forum I found but I've had no luck. Were you actually able to do it?

Here's the only information given in the manual:

S/PDIF Output (S/PDIF Out) – Digital output on coaxial (RCA-type) connector. The S/PDIF Out is activated by selecting outputs 3 and 4 in the Control Panel (see section 7). The S/PDIF output signal is duplicated on Outputs 3 and 4 (26). This output will also support pass-through of AC-3 or DTS encoded surround formats.

Stand-alone Mode
The Fast Track Pro can act as a stand-alone mic preamp with 24-bit/44.1kHz A/D converters. Inputs 1 and 2 are sent to the S/PDIF Out and analog Outputs 3 and 4 post inserts.

Your answer will really help me.
Thank you