Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2000, 03:38 PM

Default For all who get mad over FREE software :)

i've took the time to read most of the messages here in this forum and i must say i'm a bit disheartened at those who have the tendency to slam DIGI.

listen folks, it's FREE. DIGIDesign was kewl enough and worked hard to give EVERYONE Free software to try it out and do what we will with it, this is a very good thing in my eyes...even if some feel it may not work very well for now. the point is that it's out there, and DIGI has made a program usable on just about any WIN98 system...there is much potential in this. i don't know of any other company out in the world that is willing to GIVE FREE software with this much potential out to ANYONE...not just registered purchasers of PT programs already. digi seems to understand in great detail the mind of audio engineers and musicians alike; to give us powerful recording tools matched with editing and plug-ins. and this one is for FREE! that's pretty kick butt in my book guys.

the fact is, it's a little easier to help with problems if the excess language and anger is trimmed away first.

i own PTLE, and at first i've had many problems with it myself...i asked many questions and answered three times as many. the bottom line is there will be problems with almost everything we've ever encountered, however there is a solution to every problem...

take care and happy recording...

------------------
Сgî‡å£ Wàvèƒôrm
Old 11-11-2000, 06:16 PM

Default Re: For all who get mad over FREE software :)

Here , here! I agree with you completely. It seems that some of the complaining users forget that it took a while for Cubase VST to work on Cyrix and AMD chips.

C'mon guys it's the first native version written for PC , sonner or later all incompatibilities will be fixed.....just like Cubase VST
Old 11-13-2000, 06:07 PM

Yes, free is free. And I applaud Digi for making this promotional effort as well, it seems there are many people who aren't experiencing problems. Hurray for them!
But, for those of us who are (after experiencing success with every other PC-based music program for quite a while), a free program that requires tedious dissecting of our systems in a repeated attempt to avoid seizure is very frustrating. I'd be happier using my time as a creative musician rather than troubleshooter. I will continue taking the advice given by the people at Digidesign to attempt new suggestions to get this program working in my system, but I'm sure I've already been more patient than most. PTFree was released to generate interest in PTLE and beyond, but those of us hitting repeated dead-ends don't get much opportunity to experience what is rumored to be a great program, or gain much faith that our systems will be compatible with the programs that Digidesign is counting that we'll pay for in the future. The bottom line is that any product Digidesign releases for PC at this point MUST prove to be of higher quality, ease of use, and reliability, than EVERY EXISTING PRODUCT we PC users have already invested in and become accustomed to, or it won't fly. I'm not giving up on PTFree yet, but after making my computer useless for anything NOT involving this program in an effort to see it work, I'm only giving it 5 more crashes before I bail.
Old 11-13-2000, 06:29 PM

yeah I appaud everyone too. However mine doesnt work either !! I have a fairly new Gateway that works great with Cakewalk. But this WILL NOT WORK !!! (AHHHH the days of analog when everything worked) Ive read a lot of these problems on this page. So I know I,m not alone. A user friendly program that worked would be great. And you would think protools would nail one down before they put it out. for sure it needs work. and I will mess with this some more from time to time. But until it works I,m back to cakewalk. I would say thanks to digi BUT I,m not sure what I,d be thanking them for good luck to all.
Old 11-14-2000, 12:21 AM

I applaud you guys, for the stand you have taken, on the defense of PTF. All the little concern problems will work its way out of the system.

NOTE: IT'S FREE.

------------------
Willie J. Pee
Song Writer/Producer
CSF, Records

[This message has been edited by wpee (edited November 13, 2000).]