Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2006, 08:11 AM

Default iLok \"Grace Period\"

Just want to check that I've understood this.

I know I can't remove an iLok from my account with plug-ins on it, but is it possible during the grace-period?

Quoted from iLok.com:

If an iLok is not synchronized with any account when the grace period ends, then it will be permanently locked to whichever account it is synchronized to next.

So, if I put a license that's not transferable at iLok.com, such as certain developers, NFRs etc, on an iLok during the Grace-Period, can I remove it from my account (before that period ends) and give or sell it to somebody else?
Will the other person be able to sync the iLok/plugins to their account?

Thanks,
Hakan

PT Ultimate 2022.10.0 | HD OMNI | S3 | PT Dock | EuControl 2022.4.0.78 | PT Control 2022.4.0.60
macOS Big Sur 11.6.5 | Mac Pro (2019), 3,2 GHz 16-Core Intel Xeon W, 384 GB 2933 MHz DDR4
Old 06-27-2006, 10:04 AM

Default Re: iLok \"Grace Period\"

I believe it's to allow you to install assets onto an iLok for another user.. so you'd be able to sell the iLok with the assets on it to another user who'll be able to synchronize it to their account within the grace period without any additional cost. It won't allow you to transfer assets between accounts using ilok.com without charge. If the buyer waits to synchronize and the grace period has expired.. the iLok will remain attached to your account.

NFR plug-ins may not be sold or transferred under ANY circumstances though.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 06-27-2006, 10:11 AM

Quote:
such as certain developers, NFRs etc, on an iLok during the Grace-Period, can I remove it from my account (before that period ends) and give or sell it to somebody else?
Isn't the point of NFR that it is given to one person and is not to be sold or transferred? Why not ask the developer who gave you the NFR if this is ok before you do it... do you think they'll say yes? If they do, I would be surprised. If they say no, you MUST respect their wishes. Otherwise, what you are doing is VERY uncool, equal to full-out piracy.
Old 06-28-2006, 01:15 AM

Thanks for helping me understand this.
I still have some q:s, though:
Quote:
If the buyer waits to synchronize and the grace period has expired.. the iLok will remain attached to your account.
Rail
This seems contradictory to what I learnt on iLok.com, under the circumstance that I have removed the iLok from my account during the grace period:
Quote:
If an iLok is not synchronized with any account when the grace period ends, then it will be permanently locked to whichever account it is synchronized to next.
So, if I want to sell my SONY plug-ins, or the McDSP MassivePack versions, which aren't possible to transfer to another user at iLok.com, can I do it this way or not?

PT Ultimate 2022.10.0 | HD OMNI | S3 | PT Dock | EuControl 2022.4.0.78 | PT Control 2022.4.0.60
macOS Big Sur 11.6.5 | Mac Pro (2019), 3,2 GHz 16-Core Intel Xeon W, 384 GB 2933 MHz DDR4
Old 06-28-2006, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Isn't the point of NFR that it is given to one person and is not to be sold or transferred? Why not ask the developer who gave you the NFR if this is ok before you do it... do you think they'll say yes? If they do, I would be surprised. If they say no, you MUST respect their wishes. Otherwise, what you are doing is VERY uncool, equal to full-out piracy.
I got an Eventide Clockworks from a dealer as a compensation for issues during the deliverence of my HD Accel system.
I didn't think about it being a so called NFR until I wanted to pass it on, since I'm buying an AnthologyII-bundle.
The Clockworks NFR made me aware of Eventide's great products, so I guess it's to their advantage.
But I'm going to check with them if it's ok/possible to let somebody else recieve the NFR, or if I should destroy it running it through the OmniPressor at an extreme setting...

Old 06-28-2006, 07:52 AM

If your dealer gave you one of their NFR's then they broke their agreement with the manufacturer. While the iLok.com system does have some little holes that allow you to transfer assets with seemingly no penalty, each manufacturer sets its own regulations for transfer of ownership. You may be able to get it into another person's hands, but that person will have no support or recognition as an owner of the product.

By the way, manufacturers offer demo periods of their plug-ins so you can get interested.
Old 06-28-2006, 11:06 AM

Quote:
By the way, manufacturers offer demo periods of their plug-ins so you can get interested.
No need to be sarcastic, I want to support manufacturers too (as I assume you do).
I've spent tens of thousands of dollars on software and sample libraries and will continue doing so.
I just didn't know a lot about this NFR-thing, but now I know more thanks to you guys!
I appreciate your help!

Old 06-28-2006, 11:14 AM

Not meant to be sarcastic, just pointing out that what you would consider a benefit to them is actually something they offer thru other avenues than NFR's.
Old 06-28-2006, 11:27 AM

Ok, cool!

Regarding McDSP MassivePack versions and Sony Oxford plug-ins, i guess I'd better get in contact with the developers to find out what their respective policy is...