Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 05-04-2006, 02:36 PM

Default Can I change the sample rate of my session? Help!

Is it possible to change the sample rate of an existing session? I have tracks that were recorded at 48 imported into a session that's 44.1, so the song is playing back too slow. If possible I'd like to switch the session's sample rate and save myself a ton of time. I tried the search function and the answerbase, but couldn't find out if this is possible. Can someone help? Thanks!!!
Old 05-04-2006, 02:49 PM

Default Re: Can I change the sample rate of my session? Help!

do a 'save session copy in' with the settings you want and use that.
Old 05-04-2006, 07:21 PM

I'm just curious about this. If you Import 48Khz Audio into a PT Session that is set to 44.1 Khz Doesn't PT automatically convert the imported audio to 44.1 Khz and Retain its Length and Timing ?
Old 05-04-2006, 07:31 PM

Yes.

My New Instructional Mixing DVD 2 is Shipping
www.tonysound.com
http://twitter.com/tonysound
Old 05-04-2006, 08:19 PM

Thanks Tony. I thought it did. The reason I ask is because the original post here says that the Audio is playing back too slow. I have seen instances of Audio playing back too slow or too fast but I don't think it is caused by Importing Audio at a Different sample Rates. It must be caused by something else. Maybe some here can explain this bug.....
Old 05-07-2006, 09:13 PM

A common way this happens is if PT is clocking to something else, and then later that clock is removed. For example, one transfers audio from an adat, running at 48k, but the PT session is set to 44.1. Later, running on the INTERNAL clock, PT now runs slower, and the faster 48k clock is gone. Or, PT is set to record at 44.1, but is being clocked at 48k by some other device that someone forget to disconnect. I see this stuff A LOT.
Old 05-09-2006, 09:03 AM

Default Same Problem Once .. Ouch ! This is how i did it.

Yes ... you really got yourself into a pickle. I know, I did it once too. I guess I don't have to say ... don't do that again ! I was able to play my file back correctly by running my Big Ben word clock at 48 ... with protools still set at 44.1 the way it was recorded ... that worked for playing back and mixing. All of the simple answers just don't work .. it is really strange. Bouncing down doesn't even work right.

I played back the final mix from Protools through an ATR 102 Ampex Tape Recorder ..and then back to protools at 44.1.

John
Old 05-09-2006, 11:23 AM

Default Re: Same Problem Once .. Ouch ! This is how i did it.

This problem occurred once to me when I imported a piece of audio at the correct bit depth but an incorrect sample rate. Earlier versions of PT (somewhere in the 6's) allowed you to import but NOT convert audio at a different sample rate, but the same bit depth. The result was a 48k file playing back at 44.1k

Sounds to me like this is what happened. As stated above, save a session copy, or create a new session and import each track. The other option is to simply re-import the incorrect audio and make sure to convert on import (that's assuming that what is happening to you is what was happening to me.)
PT 11 HDN
Omni
Old 05-09-2006, 12:46 PM

Default Re: Same Problem Once .. Ouch ! This is how i did it.

Quote:
... you really got yourself into a pickle.
This is not a serious problem at all. Simply make a new ProTools Session at 48kHz and import all the tracks in with NO Sample rate conversion. The session will play back fine, and you can continue working and doing overdubs and even mix back into your session. All the new files will be labelled as 48kHz, and the misclocked 44.1K files will continue to to play back (sped up to 48K of course). If the session is leaving your facility and you fear ridicule from the other Engineers, then by all means consolidate the erroneously labelled files, and then do a "Save Session Copy" as a 44.1K session (with SRC).

No worries...
Cheers, eh?
Old 05-09-2006, 01:05 PM

Default Re: Same Problem Once .. Ouch ! This is how i did

I'd suggest consolidating and exporting all audio tracks, then changing the header using rails utility and importing em into a new session.