Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2003, 03:38 AM

Default ProTools surround with 02R96 / AIR

Hi all,

Perhaps someone might have advice on the best way to configure this?

We're about to install a new studio featuring PT-HD3, Yamaha 02R96 console and Dynaudio AIR 5.1 monitors. As you can probably see, there are any number of ways to route the playback monitoring for 5.1: via the surround controls in the 02R, direct from Protools OPs, and then there is the software configurability of the AIR remote. The PT rig uses Digi196 and 96I/O interfaces; the 02R is fitted with 16 x ADAT card, 2 x 96k AES cards and 1 x 8 way D/A card (plus 8 x onboard omni OPs).

The rig will have a number of work committments, but one feature is the recording of orchestras in a large space for film, DVD-A, DTS, etc. We'll be using various remote-configuarble mic arrays and in this configuration, & we do want to monitor in 5.1 while tracking.

So, how to best set the rig? My approach thus far has been to use various consoles for input monitoring / cues only, leaving PT outputs for the playback. In this rig, I could take direct feeds from the 96I/O to the AIRs, but am unsure if this is the best use of the resources. We may have to tweak a few I/O cards around yet. We also need to be able to easily and quickly flip back and forth to main M3 stereo monitors, MSP5 nearfileds, etc and undertake a number of more conventional production tasks for external clients / engineeers in this room.

Bit of a mind f**k, with three variants on 5.1 management in the same system. Any experience that you may wish to pass on would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
Paul
MacPro 7,1 Big Sur 11.2. 16 core, 2TB, 192GB, Vega II 32GB. OWC Thunderbay 6, RME UFX+, UAD-2 quad PCIe, Decklink MiniMon 4k, Sonnet M.2 4x4. Dell U3419W & BenQ SW2700PT. FaderPort 16, Komplete Kontrol S61, Nuendo, Wavelab, Pro Tools Ultimate, Logic, Ableton Live. FinalCutPro, Resolve Studio.
Old 09-04-2003, 02:21 PM

Default Re: ProTools surround with 02R96 / AIR

You may want to look at the Martin sound MultiMax monitor controller. Very versatil. I do not know enough about the O2R and its monitor section, but the Martin Sound will switch between multiple monitors and downmix to stereo monitors, which is configurable by you as far levels, i.e. how many db the center and surrounds go down in the downmix. I don't have a link, but a google search should give you info on Martin sound. Good luck!!
Old 09-04-2003, 04:05 PM

I do not know what capabilities the AIR system has but I can speak about the 02r96. It can be a 5.1, LCRS, or stereo monitor controller, it can downmix with very good flexibility between those three. Bass management is also pretty good. You may have separate L/R speaker outputs from the surround outputs (or share L/R speakers as you desire) None of those things are at your fingertips, though, because you must navigate through various screens and menu choices. I would not enjoy using it that way but you can certainly get the job done.

I am using a Tascam DSM7.1. It is okay as long as you do not expect perfect D-A sound, it can be digital all the way, or you can use the analog monitor outputs. The bass management capabilities are somewhat pre-fixed. Processor boxes (Dolby/DTS) can be inserted with a button touch, whereas the 02r96 will require some ingenuity with patching to accomplish the same thing. Martinsound is more flexible for monitor configurations (3 separate systems, I think, correct me if I am wrong). It is more expensive. It is analog.

As a console the 02r96 does a whole lot of things. Much more flexible than the earlier 02r. It's routing capabilities are really impressive. The eq can be identical to the 02r or you can use a "type 2" algorithym, which is very nice too. The dynamics are just as horrible as the 02r.

Watch out for this 02r96 thing! It seems like a great all-around choice but I warn you that it is difficult to use, depending on what you use it for. The monitor section will not have the one-touch operation that you would like. I have a particular problem with the response to knob moves, which have unpredictable results. The controls are velocity sensitive, or at least Yamaha thinks they are, but I have been very frustrated by the non-repeatable nature of them. I can move a knob the same way ten times in a row and get wildly different results each time. (+3.1 db one time, +15 db the next, no exaggeration!) It will not become an extension of your fingertips! The converters sound better than the 02r. I have not tried to control Pro Tools with it, so don't ask me.

I would have to recommend that you consider a separate monitor controller, something that will work the same way all the time, no matter what the other equipment is doing. Any other arrangement is less than professional.
Old 09-06-2003, 09:54 AM

Quote:
You may want to look at the Martin sound MultiMax monitor controller. Very versatil. I do not know enough about the O2R and its monitor section, but the Martin Sound will switch between multiple monitors and downmix to stereo monitors, which is configurable by you as far levels, i.e. how many db the center and surrounds go down in the downmix. I don't have a link, but a google search should give you info on Martin sound. Good luck!!
dr sound replies:
Here is a link to the Martinsound MultiMax. I use one and their great.
http://www.martinsound.com/pd_max.htm
Good Luck,
IMDB http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0401937/
Like everything in life, there are no guarantees just opportunities.