Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2003, 10:37 AM

Default Best Apogee A/D D/A coverters for HD

Our studio has been getting more and more requests for the Apogee converters, and we would like to invest in some, but we want to make sure we are getting the absolute best.

Currently we are running a PT HD system with 80 analog inputs (using 192 interfaces).

I've been checking out the Apogee AD-16. and the 8000, is there a difference in their quality? I know that the 8000 doesn't do 96K which is a must for us.

Any help would be great. Thanks
Old 02-17-2003, 11:55 AM

Default Re: Best Apogee A/D D/A coverters for HD

Quality-wise, the best-sounding multichannel Apogee converter will be the AD8000 SE, even though it doesn't run at 96K. You could also get a PSX100SE or Trak2 if you don't need as many channels.

The AD16 does sound really good. It's a little different than a standard AD8000, but probably no better or worse...

-Duardo
Old 02-17-2003, 03:22 PM

remote:

Your best bet is to get the Apogee Big Ben, clock completely off of that (it goes to 192khz and will be shipping in mid-march) and use the A/D and D/A 16 units for the conversion. However, after saying that, if you truly want the best conversion (IMHO) I'd go with the PSX100-SE units. They are only 2 channels, but they use the upgraded converters, you get the digital routing, and the metering (per channel). This is the exact setup we use right now and it's truly incredible.

If you want to talk more about this give me a call and I'll be happy to answer any questions for you. The number is one our website (don't want to be accused of spamming the forums or anything).

Hope that helps!
Old 02-17-2003, 07:05 PM

Just out of curiosity, why is 96K a must for you?

-Duardo
Old 02-18-2003, 01:08 AM

I first did not want to write that question, since I self hate it very much if I ask a specific question about something and then others chiming in, telling me which brands and other things could also work....

Anyway, forgive me, but in your situation (probably big facilitie, soundquality is important) why appogees? I see that clients love this name, but if you really plan to make an investment, why not use Prism Dream ADA's (they go to 96 khz and I believe that everyone who compares them to apogees 8k SE agrees that they are a ligue higher. Or dB Technologies blue series come into my mind, as well a superiour converter (now the firm is called larvy engineering I believe)

Sorry for bringing in something that was not asked in your original question, but somehow I couldn't resist to ask for the reason why you choosed apogges...

Best
daniel
www.ideeundklang.com
Old 02-18-2003, 01:24 AM

I totally agree!! After we bought Prism Dream ADA 8. We sold PSX-100, AD-8000, Waves L2.....

Listsen it yourself, Apogee is really good in marketing.... On the other hand Prism didn't updated their web site for every 6 months.

regards
bobo
Old 02-18-2003, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bobo mark:
I totally agree!! After we bought Prism Dream ADA 8. We sold PSX-100, AD-8000, Waves L2.....

Listsen it yourself, Apogee is really good in marketing.... On the other hand Prism didn't updated their web site for every 6 months.

regards
bobo
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">OK, I am getting the impression that the 192I/O is not in the same league as apogee and Prism. Is that true?
Old 02-18-2003, 07:50 AM

Yes, we used all of them.... but clocking is made the different. We slave AD8K to Prism, and notice the AD8K is sounding warmer. AD8K by itself is brighter sounding.

Actually we like RME ADI DS 8 more than AD8K......

But client always asked for Apogee and they never heard Prism have 8 channels ProTools AD or they never heard Prism Sound at all.

regards
bobo
Old 02-18-2003, 08:26 AM

Quote:
originally posted by markk:
OK, I am getting the impression that the 192I/O is not in the same league as apogee and Prism. Is that true?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Actually after my tests my personal conclusion was that dB and Prism are a class for itself and imo in a other league as Apogee and 192. The AD8k and the 192 are in a similar boat, actually I liked the 192 better then the AD8k. But it is surly a matter of taste here, other people who heard both liked the AD8k better. For the money (and not only) the 192 is a giant value.

daniel
Old 02-18-2003, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Daniel_Dettwiler:
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial"> originally posted by markk:
OK, I am getting the impression that the 192I/O is not in the same league as apogee and Prism. Is that true?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Actually after my tests my personal conclusion was that dB and Prism are a class for itself and imo in a other league as Apogee and 192. The AD8k and the 192 are in a similar boat, actually I liked the 192 better then the AD8k. But it is surly a matter of taste here, other people who heard both liked the AD8k better. For the money (and not only) the 192 is a giant value.

daniel
<hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Glad to hear the confirmation. I think the 192 meets the ADK8 as well - and for the price with HD3 it was a great bundle. I would love a DB converter - when the economy changes. Thanks.