Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2009, 12:47 AM

Default C24E: 24 faders centred around a keyboard

I edit a lot; Why is there no C24 without the preamps, but with an integrated keyboard. I just need fast access to channels, a bigger overview and ergonomics... It could cost the same as a C24, I'd go for it.

The Command8 i'm using right now doesn't do it for me anymore and I would like to step up the ladder, but the only thing that's interesting at the moment is a Tango controller, but I don't want to invest in a HUI controller.

There must be people in the post community thinking the same?
Old 09-25-2009, 06:44 AM

Default Re: C24E: 24 faders centred around a keyboard

I totally agree. We need an Control 8 EDIT station. I tried the Tango which is great software but as noted HUI only and physically too large. (Digi please open the ICON protocol to 3rd Party) I have the Eupnonix MC Mix and Control (also HUI) but it is the right size and the touchscreen is brilliant with 12 faders not 8 and the software (mac only) is great for editing, so many shortcuts can be made available on the Touchscreen or the soft buttons, and the price is incredible. The design is also very Mac like. So far it is the closest to my idea Editors Controller I have used.
Now if Digi could be convinced that the market for an Edit specific Controller is large. Our Facility alone has 6 edit rooms that would require such a device and we are not huge like Skywalker etc.

my 2c
Simon L.

Last edited by sleadley; 09-25-2009 at 06:46 AM. Reason: add some more ideas
Old 09-25-2009, 08:25 AM

+1

www.TakomaMedia.com
Old 09-25-2009, 10:04 AM

I do not remember, how many years ago I wrote here in DUC such request... It is so easy to build such a device.
Personally I landed on D-Command, but my work is 60% edit and 40% mix, such a solution makes sense for me...

All best,
Kuba
Old 09-25-2009, 11:23 AM

+1
Old 09-25-2009, 03:54 PM

+1

I also think a 1 fader device like an alphatrack would be great option for digi.

The downside with the Alphatrack is cycling through banks.
I'm sure digi could implement a better single fader.

The prob for me is space and cost, C24, D-command etc are too big and too much.

The Command 8 is ok for faders, its too slow for adjusting plugins, and it looks cheap.
Old 09-26-2009, 07:57 PM

More on my experiences with the Euphonix Artist series, this is more what Editors need, a Touchscreen for hard to remember quickkeys is a great asset. It is expandable, it looks great and the ergonomics are excellent. You can put channels into Write mode (why no on the C8?) the Pan controls are touch sensitive and can be assigned to Plug-in parameters.
Now if Digi had made something like this I would buy it, but they dont. Anything Bigger than the C8 or Euphonix is too big for my edit rig Table. The C8 is too limited and should be able to be connected to a large ICON rig on the final Dub stage for small edit changes to be done by the Music editor (In my case) as well as serving us in the edit room. It should also have 5.1 monitoring control and 8 to 12 faders is more than enough. If it were an interface as well, all the better for LE (or expanded HD).
Best of all, Digi, or should I say Avid, could make it a controller for HD. LE and Avid systems, they would sell, thus make money and there are lots and lots of edit rooms or small operators that require a cut down system and are prepared to pay OK money for a well thought out system.
At the moment we have ICON at the top end and the C8 at the bottom then there is a big gap to the C24 etc, where the size is too large for editing stations IMHO.
my 2c
Simon L.
Old 09-27-2009, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0und80y View Post
The Command 8 is ok for faders, its too slow for adjusting plugins, and it looks cheap.
I´d like a C8plus. More faders (by getting rid of the huge pseudo jog-wheel banking buttons) on less space. No giant transport-buttons (I think I´ve used them once in 2 years to test if they work).

But most importantly:

Automation mode buttons!!!

The faders otherwise are totaly fine. The rest of it I hardly ever use. I thought about buying a C24 or D-Command but they are physically way too large.

Yes I think there is quite a segment in the market that needs a small foot-print controller with mainly high-quality faders and panorama joysticks to prepare complicated things while editing that can not be done in the mix (directors don´t want to listen to 30 passes of the same 10 seconds when the mixer does all the fly-by panning and tweaking).

frank.
Old 09-27-2009, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleadley View Post
More on my experiences with the Euphonix Artist series ....... the Pan controls are touch sensitive and can be assigned to Plug-in parameters.
Simon L.
Hi Simon, I'm checking out a Euphonix Mix unit at the moment - and while the knobs are touch sensitive that doesn't stop them writing out of a touch automation pass if you're not moving them - but still touching them. I imagine it's because the HUI controller (which I'm looking at replacing) doesn't have touch knobs so never knew to include that in the protocol it talk to Pro Tools..

Have you found a way to get the knobs on the Euphonix units to stay in touch mode and write automation while touched?