Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 07-29-2022, 12:51 PM

Default PT 2022.7 update, can't open sessions

I can't find any mention of this online, so hoping the community can help out. Updated my OS and PT today (I know, I should have known better) and am now getting the error message when trying to open a known good session: Could not complete your request because std::exception

Strangely, some older sessions will open. But something I was working on yesterday will not.

Mac OS 12.5; PT 2022.7; MBPRo 15inch 2018, 2.6GHz i7, 16GB RAM
Old 07-29-2022, 01:22 PM

Default Re: PT 2022.7 update, can't open sessions

you updated from exactly what os and pro tools versions?

how did you do the macOS upgrade? the insitu update many of us (and Avid?) warn against or did you do a clean install on a different drive/container/volume?

if you need to get going asap... if you did not do an insitu upgrade then just boot back on the old system partition and get back to work. If you did an insitu upgrade, recover from your system backups.

Otherwise you have time... you can try troubleshooting following the standard stuff under "Help us help you" up the top of each DUC web page, paying particular attention to testing/moving out plugin files. as always start by trashing prefs. Your call on how many hours you spend doing that before being wiling to just do a full clean macOS reinstall and start over... don't get suckered into troubleshooting forever. And if you do a reinstall do full reinstalls of all apps and plugins using the latest/compatible instsllers. Make sure you do not mess up further and lose your sessions and they are all backed up in multiple places/ways. (do that now).

How many sessions give this error? what do they have in common? You might have to consider the chance that a session file is corrupted, or corrupted in a way that only hits if using newer versions of Pro Tools, so if you can open the session with only the core Pro Tools plugins installed try making a save copy in and opening that from a later version... or try importing into a later version.
Old 07-29-2022, 01:59 PM

I updated from PT 2022.5 (Studio) and MacOS 11.6.7. I did not do an install on a different drive, just did the update as I always have in the past. Thought I had done all the necessary homework required, but obviously not.

Upon further investigation, I am able to open some recent sessions that are very light on plug-ins, so I'm leaning towards the possibility that it's plug in related. I'm in the process of reinstalling them and will try to launch with only the core plug ins as you suggest.

I appreciate the warnings about the session backups - I've already done that.

I do have a little time, but will revert to a backup if needed. I appreciate the help!
---
Mac OS 12.5; PT 2022.7; MBPRo 15inch 2018, 2.6GHz i7, 16GB RAM
Old 07-29-2022, 02:19 PM

Uh that's not what I'd do exactly/suggested you do.

Start reinstalling plugins etc... why? Move all .aaxplugin file out of the plugin folder. Trash prefs. Restart Pro Tools. If it now works you know it was likely a plugin, if not you know it was definitely not a plugin and not to spend any more time looking at plugins. And you spent only a few minutes to know a lot. And yes it quite likely is a plugin but this is still a good use of time.
Old 07-30-2022, 10:25 AM

One more thing that might be worth trying: hold the SHIFT key while opening a problem session. If that allows it to open(with all plugins inactive), then you probably have a plugin that needs an update(probably because of the OS change). Darryl's advice may still be the best, despite being the painful kind

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-30-2022, 10:35 AM

Thanks or the suggestion - I did find that suggestion elsewhere and it opened.

I ended up resolving the issue by installing an earlier version of PT, (2022.5). And Darryl sent me down the correct path by suggesting the "Help Us Help You" page, which I had never seen. After going through the optimization steps, I was back up and running.

Lesson learned (re-learned?) to be more discriminating about the upgrade process. I guess I was feeling lucky!

Thanks to you both for the help.