Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2005, 05:37 AM

Default PT7 - \"Play MIDI notes when editing\" - trim tool

Can someone confirm this?

PT7 - "Play MIDI notes when editing" pref enabled - if using the trim tool, it does not sound the midi event.

In PT6, any tool (grabber or trim or pencil) would sound a midi note. Since 7.0, the trimmer no longer sounds the note (the grabber does).

Is this a feature or a bug? Can someone confirm this behavior - and can someone from Digi comment on the "feature vs. bug" status?

Thanks...
Old 12-08-2005, 03:42 PM

Default Re: PT7 - \"Play MIDI notes when editing\" - trim tool

bump

Doesn't anyone miss this? Wouldn't it be nice to hear the midi notes youre editing no matter what tool you are using? Can someone from Digi tell me why this feature was removed for PT7?

Thanks!
Old 12-08-2005, 03:57 PM

Default Re: PT7 - \"Play MIDI notes when editing\" - trim to

I don't recall the trim tool ever sounding the note. What I would like would be for tabbing onto a note to sound it-
sort of like granular scrubbing. A fabulous feature for finding clinkers in busy tracks.
Old 12-08-2005, 04:35 PM

Yeah, trim tool always sounded midi notes... in 6.x (and some people didn't like this, since it would trigger the enitre duration of the note once pressed -- I got used to it. Trim should sound the note as long as the trim tool is engaged on the note being edited.

And this inspired me to post the "what I miss about Studio Vision" in another thread... We really need MIDI Scrub. Every el-cheapo midi sequencer has it - is it a difficult thing to code or implement? Who decides the featureset? What kind of beer do you like?
Old 12-08-2005, 09:28 PM

Quote:
I don't recall the trim tool ever sounding the note.
Nor me. Did I miss something?
Old 12-09-2005, 11:33 AM

I just tried it in PT 6.9 grabber plays note, trimmer does not. I wish notes would always play when selected with all tools or by tabbing.
Old 12-09-2005, 08:27 PM

Default Re: PT7 - \"Play MIDI notes when editing\" - trim tool

Yes! Notes should play with every change, or at least have the option to, especially when transposing notes and changing velocity. I want to hear what it sounds like without having to swing down and click on the note after each volume change, which is tedious if you program all day.

I do a lot of live drum sample triggering, and I need to hear every time I move it to a new velocity (128 steps) just like I need to hear each note as I move it higher and lower in pitch. What's the difference, new note pich or new note volume...you usually need to hear it!

Why? Especially with percussion samples, there is a totally different sample being triggered with each volume step, sometimes even 128 different velocity sample audio files per note, each with a different attack sound. Imagine going down and clicking on the note just to audition each sample assigned to each velocity.

#1 #1 #1 Digi needs to make PT editing bearable. Everything in PT editing is designed to slow you down like auditioning velocity changes and switching between notes view and velocity view 5 or 10 times a minute when editing. Insane!

In PT, why not give us a -Logical- "tools pop selector" up if we press a key?

Scott