Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 07-10-2012, 12:54 AM

Default Upgrading from Pro Tools 8 to HD10 tip.

I just recently went fro Pro Tools 8 to 10HD and wanted to share something that went under my radar while making the move and hope that no others get caught out. I am a professional engineer and run one of Melbournes primary recording facilities so naturally when going from PT 8 to 10 (and Leopard to Lion at the same time) I purchased a new hard drive to do a fresh install on so I could keep my original as a back up incase I came across issue that would stop me from working. I was careful to make sure I had all my plugins updated that needed to be etc etc...

The upgrade went reasonably smooth and all is running reasonably well, although I don't yet see any performance plus from PT10. I was previously doing an archive job for an older client and was only half way through, I decide to finish the job with my old Hard Drive and PT8 so the files where all consistent....but guess what, Pro Tools 10 licence made me surrender the PT8 licence. This makes backing up or keeping a back up hard drive totally useless as I could not open ProTools at all.

Im sure there is likely info on the surrendering process somewhere but Its not something I was looking for as I was busy making sure I had everything else sorted. I don't think it is the same if you are going from PT9 - PT10 but you should always research this either way.

I guess I do have a question (although Im sure the answer will only benefit AVID and not me the user)...my question is simply WHY???? Why the surrender? Why bother advising doing back ups... why why why???
Old 07-10-2012, 06:28 AM

Default Re: Upgrading from Pro Tools 8 to HD10 tip.

The new iLok asset should authorize the old 8 setup as well as the new 10 install

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-10-2012, 08:47 AM

Default Re: Upgrading from Pro Tools 8 to HD10 tip.

Id very much like to know why you say this. Have you experienced such? or are you just agreeing with me...

I just checked my iLok and I have PT licence HD7.4, HD9 and HD10. So in the move from 8 to 10 they took away 8 and gave me 9 for no particular reason. I find this very odd behaviour. Going from 8 to 7.4 I did not loose 7.4 licence.