Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 11-04-2022, 02:52 AM

Default Re: Assertion in "/Users/autobld/gitlabci/PT/release/2022/r3/ProTools/... line 241

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfyou View Post
A 3rd party website showing that Pro Tools can load on Ventura is not the same as Avid supporting Ventura. Never in the last twenty years has Pro Tools been supported on a brand new Mac OS. If you have Avid support the first thing they'll tell you is you're on an unsupported system.
avid does support the new system, nothing has changed other then a IOS GUI and a number of GUI features such as notifications of activities in the terminal, launches etc, if anything Avid needs to announce support after testing drivers but as far as Pro Tools running native with a iLok usb im good here only if I use the internal drive which I will explain..

Now I spoke to a few Apple techs I know, there are a number of reasons that they confirmed to cause such assertions etc, the main reasons sine Ventura and Monterey are to EHD (Extended Hard Drives), I should of mentioned that I had just literally created a user on a external SSD for space on my MacBook Air...cause there is only 256GB of SSD, crazy isn't, the system takes up half as well so the scheme of tiny SSDs or printer ink running on chips to disfunction monthly for price gauging is unfair business practice if you ask anyone.

So the only issues found in VENTURA so far started in Monterey, and that's to do with EHD, external home users etc, they start when those hard drives get disconnected or fail, then the user account or links default..of course you always need an internal SSD user account or OSX creates one by default., so what happened and why I returned to this thread is that while I tested pro tools on a different user and everything worked the problem returned after I moved and relinked the home folder on a external SSD.

Anyway, iam not really computer savvy so I will get back with a solution people shared which to my understanding will be the first Ventura Apple update in weeks time.

So if anything, Maybe AVID is still testing Ventura and can't confirm it works with 3rd party drives which is nightmare for users if they upgrade...
Old 11-04-2022, 05:16 AM

Default Re: Assertion in "/Users/autobld/gitlabci/PT/release/2022/r3/ProTools/... line 241

Quote:
Originally Posted by skystudios View Post
avid does support the new system

SNIP

So if anything, Maybe AVID is still testing Ventura and can't confirm it works.
Well it cant be both can it.

As smurfyou was saying, PT is not officially supported by AVID. It doesn’t mean it won’t work. It means they haven’t finished testing and wont officially support it. So, if you encounter any issues, you’re on your own until its officially blessed.

That’s how it works. Always has.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-04-2022, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Anyway, iam not really computer savvy so I will get back with a solution people shared which to my understanding will be the first Ventura Apple update in weeks time.
As is painfully obvious from the rest of that technically challenged rambling. I am glad you got your problem sorted out, but you need to focus on listening to the technical folks here. We don’t need you trying to explain technical stuff about macOS to us.

You started recent posts on DUC pissed off about Avid customer support, unclear why. And you were absolutely certain your problem was to do with Ventura—it was not and you got working when you listened to my advice. And now you are rambling about totally irrelevant stuff you don’t understand. Yes Ventura is a less invasive upgrade than some recent upgrades, no that is not a guarantee there are not problems. Yes it seems to be working OK for folks playing early with Pro Tools with it… but it is not unusual for some weird little problems to always turn up. But many users, critical studios etc. would never touch it until it’s officially supported, and in many cases also tested internally, and then only switch between projects. There are serious businesses reliant on this software.

Ventura will be officially supported when it’s on this list: https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...tibility-Chart. Avid has an enormous complex compatibility stuff to worry about here, testing with interfaces, control surfaces, etc.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 11-04-2022 at 04:25 PM.
Old 01-11-2024, 02:28 PM

Quote:
I get Assertion in "/Users/autobld/gitlabci/PT/release/2022/r3/ProTools/NewFileLibs/Sys/MacOS/Sys_FileLocMacOS.cpp", line 241.

Ventura on MacBook Air m1 16GB Ram

I have to say I am appalled at how Avid continues support a bully ambiance here for none paying tech support customers...shame on you!
Hi, i see old post but currently same problems., if you did not figure it out and got a notification email because i replied do let me know here, or maybe you can share your solution??

I completely solved this, assuming the below instructions apply to your situation "based on two user homes folders, one internal (main admin) one external large SSD for space".., first try setting permissions up correctly for both of the admin users and admins in general... to go to your users/Documents/Pro tools folder, get info, add both your user accounts including administrator and apply read-write access including everything inside the folder..for me i did what i shared below and Pro Tools gradually fixed it after a restart...very frustrating as i cancelled my subscription until i can use Pro Tools with a ext home user folder account., so if this does not work at first fallow all the steps below., and BTW this works on all macs from catalina to semona...and yes Pro Tools runs great in Samona.

Here is long fix if Pro Tools permissions are too stubborn, no solution on this site at all., If you got a email notification and do have anotehr solution please share , other wise try the second longer method here if permissions did not work.
1-go to another computer and create a Pro tools session with the same iLok account., when saving the session leave one plugin window open.

2-Copy the session back to the machine you want to use, trash the AVID central whatever it is, nothing but problems.

3-Load pro tools on the target machine and see if the plugins are open.

4-When you see he plugin, try changing it within the plugin window., if it works then your okk but limited., you cant open plugins from the actual arrange and mix windows., dont ask me why but it seems to be linked to a scheme AVID uses to copy protect Pro Tools from piracy., and this happens when someone tries to access a session or the software over the internet or a network.

So while you or someone else may think its a permission issue its not..its a AVID issues, its sort of a security or nosy thing.

I have installed a number of user home folders unto 4TB SSDs for people because Apple products are the worse when it comes to SSD space unless you pay twice for the same computer just to have 2 more TBs.

So you have caveats with type of set up, as i read it comments the proper way to set up a external home folder

Step by Step
Install the system, create a admin user account, within this account create a second user which you plan to do your work with pro tools

After you create this to be external user account, log out.., then drag it to the target SSD drive etc, after thats done you trash the old on in the internal drive and restart.

after you restart, log into the admin home user on the internal SSD, go to prefs, users, right click on ext user, in one menu you can point to where the home user is located. , example Home directory
/Volumes/EXT_SSD/Users/YOUR HOME FOLDER NAME,

when you do this do not open the user folder when directing the user prefs to it, just click on USERS, save

If anything should happen in the future, (accidental disconnection of the ext drive, power outage, battery dies and you need to restart, a slow restart and no drive was seen during boot, anything that causes it to be over looked) if it happens while the user is open your computer will create a new home folder on the internal SSD, you must erase this after you re login., or you will find yourself in a un familiar user and all your settings are default again on the home user.

Regardless, just trash the copy on the internal drive and if you got a restart in time you log into your home admin account, open prefs, users, right click on the ext user name, go to the area where you locate the SSD drive and click on it as if your about to locate it but then cancel just to hint the OS where to look.

Make sure your drive is on and you see it on your side bar or desktop.

now switch to the user and all works.

Dont be scared if you noticed the default settings one day and find out your ext SSD was not seen during boot or lost connection, just trash the un wanted new home folder and re point to the external like i described.

So dont get upset at anyone here, AVID normally charges for support and stuff like this will make anyone like AVID direct you to read and learn how to fix everything yourself instead of a straight answer, no offense but thats how money works on the negative side of things.., but even when you pay they nick something to patronise you but not everyone, good luck!

Last edited by BritishBoxer; 01-12-2024 at 01:53 PM. Reason: update
Old 01-12-2024, 05:17 PM

WOW thanks!
the permission trick in the USER/DOCUMENTS/ pro tools folders (not sessions) worked, but I only could load plugins already added in sessions from the admin user in my Mac not on the ext SSD, I got the error when I tried opening them from the actual mixer or main PT window..but after double checking and restarting all works!

Last edited by skystudios; 01-13-2024 at 12:57 AM.