Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems

Old 11-17-2016, 06:33 PM

Default Profile / Pro Tools 8 HD / Virtual Soundcheck issue

Hi all,
I have just joined a touring production that has been on the road since 2010, using a Profile at FOH along with a Pro Tools 8 HD rig, that is being used for recording and virtual Soundcheck.
In the past, before I got here, they were not having any issues. Recording and playback has been fine.
Since shortly before I got here, the recording has been fine, however on playback (virtual soundcheck) approximately half of the Channels are peaking (the WAV's look fine), and are coming back into the system mainly as white noise and distortion.

We load older recordings, done 4 months ago and older, and the WAV's and all channels look exactly the same, and the playback works just fine.

We are setting up all the sessions by taking the session info from the Venue.

Has anyone seen anything like this before?

I know it's an old version of PT, however the computer (Mac Pro, not sure of spec's, but can get) has been offline since probably 2010. No big updates have been done to it.

I have checked through the settings between sessions that are working, and others that are not, and it all appears to be the same.

I am also not sure that it would be the cards or cabling connecting the system to the computer, as the older recordings are playing back ok. I can see the distortion and noise on the meters in PT and on the Profile system.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Cliff
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Peaking.jpg (61.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-20-2016, 04:42 PM

Default Re: Profile / Pro Tools 8 HD / Virtual Soundcheck issue

Hi,

You say wav files look ok, I would try this, lets say channel 5 is peaking - re-direct it to channel 1 just to see if this makes any difference.

Overall, this might be an Pro Tools issue, maybe with the Pro Tools session. If you need to use these files you can try to create a new session and import the tracks (plus audio) into the new session. Also If possible, try to use more recent Pro Tools version to see if that makes any difference.
Old 11-24-2016, 07:48 PM

I still don't know what's causing it, but was able to find a workaround.

If I record the session to the external drive, then transfer it to the Mac Pro HD, it plays back fine. The same session playing off the external is distorting.
Older recordings don't have this problem, only new ones I'm trying to do.

I'm in the process of trying to upgrade the hardware right now, and also update Pro Tools, so I'm going down that road.

Thanks for the assistance.

Cliff
Old 11-28-2016, 02:18 PM
Avid

Interesting solution, makes me think it's something to do with the fragmenting of the drive. Do you have the ability to defragment the drive?

ryan.john@avid.com
Old 12-03-2016, 01:03 AM

I have not tried that. I will see if that works.
Old 12-03-2016, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klyphskinner View Post
I have not tried that. I will see if that works.
Please backup and read about the topic of defragmentation on mac before you do so. AFAIK on mac windows-style defragmenting can lead to data-loss. "defragmentation" on mac works mostly so, that you do not use software, but copy data to new drive and this defragments it. I might be wrong, but this is a memory I have about the topic. I have never defragmented any drives on my mac for the same reason.

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=277463