Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 05-29-2011, 11:45 AM

Smile Which interface and pre amp would you recommend?

Hey all. I am looking for opinions on an audio interface and pre amp to pair up with PT9 and my iMac. I used to do some "basement" recording on my Digi 001 and my G4 Mac back in the day just to give you a sense of the level I have worked with. I always felt my system before was never up to snuff and want to make sure I leave some room for growth.

I have been waiting almost about a year with hearing of the release of PT9 and was considering going with the console version of the Digi 003 if they were going to release it with PT9, but have since decided against it with talks of them discontinuing the 003.

I have a 2 channel Focusrite pre amp from back in the day which is decent enough for 2 channels, but need to look at the possibility of having to mic a drum kit in the future.

I like most don't have as much money as I would like to spend, but also don't want to cheap out and regret it later. Most of the recording I will be doing will probably be on the level of advanced amateur to semi professional, so planning for expansion later may be important. I have been doing some looking already, but want to hear some opinions before I really set myself down a path.

Any information may be helpful as in a way I would almost consider myself as starting over from scratch. Thanks in advance!
Old 05-29-2011, 01:01 PM

Default Re: Which interface and pre amp would you recommend?

Hey...
What is your budget?
DIY Intel Core 2 Quad, P5B Premium,DDR2 6GB, Win 7 Ultimate.
PTLE 8.0.4
002R Unit and MBox Mini
SSL XLogic Alpha Channel.
SPL Goldmike valve Preamp.
DBX Analog Compressors, Gate and Eq.
Monster Cables
Home made & Neutrik Patchbay.
Brauner, Shure, Seinnheiser and T.Bone mikes.
Tannoy 8D Active monitors.
Old 05-29-2011, 01:17 PM

My budget is like everyone else's. Spend as little and get as much as you can for your buck.

I just bought my iMac a few months ago, but still have to pick up PT9 along with an interface and at least a 8 channel pre amp. I would like to look into a control surface, but it isn't an immediate need for the moment. The more money I spend on PT9/interface/pre will put off me expanding/upgrading other equipment sooner then later.

I also have to pick up a few little things would will probably end up adding a couple hundred to my total. So I would say my budget would ideally be between $1500-2500, but all depends on what I'm getting for my money. I'm willing to go a bit more if the quality is there. As I mentioned, I wasn't too impressed with where I left off the first time around.
Old 05-29-2011, 01:28 PM

Get the 003 console. You'll get not only a good interface, but also the best small controller for PT in the market (IMO). While they are going to be discontinued soon (or maybe are now), it doesn't mean that they won't be supported anymore. I wouldn't be afraid of this. You can get a used one from the eBay, they are quite cheap there and are an awesome value.

2010 Mac Pro 8-core Westmere, OS X 10.6.6, PT HD 9.0.3, Mbox 2 Pro, C|24
Old 05-29-2011, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fakir_cz View Post
Get the 003 console. You'll get not only a good interface, but also the best small controller for PT in the market (IMO). While they are going to be discontinued soon (or maybe are now), it doesn't mean that they won't be supported anymore. I wouldn't be afraid of this. You can get a used one from the eBay, they are quite cheap there and are an awesome value.
2nd that, got to have a faders for sure.

Old 05-29-2011, 01:47 PM

Question Re: Which interface and pre amp would you recommend?

I would really like to get the 003 for the control surface, but my problem with it is I have never been impressed with the pre amps on the LE systems. I would also like to have PT9, but then would have to pay for a crossgrade or the full version depending on how lucky I am at picking up a used 003.

I've been doing some searching and there seems to be a lot good said about Focusrite's Liquid Saffire 56 as an interface/pre amp. So far, I'm still on the fence not sure which side is greener... hmm.
Old 05-29-2011, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by basslik View Post
2nd that, got to have a faders for sure.
What do you use for a pre amp Bass? Just the stock 003 pre amp?
Old 05-29-2011, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Have you owned the 003 Fakir? Also curious as to what you use for a pre amp?
Old 05-29-2011, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Also checked out Ebay and seems that there aren't much to choose from at the moment. I'll keep an eye out though.
Old 05-29-2011, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judicious View Post
What do you use for a pre amp Bass? Just the stock 003 pre amp?
I agree the pres on the 003 are not that great, but are useful, I also have the DIGI FS to bypass the 003 convertors and run my Sansamp bass DI on 1 channel and a 2 channel straight signal through a TL Audio PA-1 pre. I like the sound I'm getting, of course this is all budget gear. You can the bass sound I'm getting here.
YouTube - La Villa Strangiato - Macgardan Project