Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2011, 05:02 AM

Question Utilizing Drum Loops

I am a guitarist that records music in my own home on a regular basis (the wife is starting to get mad! lol). Anyway, my question is:

Can someone please recommend a good software package that includes " Midi Drum Loops" that can be imported into a session of Pro Tools 8. In addition, midi drum loops that can be edited to one's own taste. I don't mind software that has the individual samples (for example - 300 kick samples, 400 snare samples).

Basically, I want something that has the loops already put together. I am a guitarist that also plays bass guitar; and I find myself spending too much time working on drum patterns (when I'm not a drummer - and don't think like a drummer). As a result, I'm spending less time being creative and playing my instrument, and more time trying to map decent drum loops.

I've heard of Steven Slate Drums, and Ezdrummer; do either of these have loops included in the software. I play mostly rock music, but love many other genres of music as well. Can someone help me out?
Old 02-27-2011, 06:20 AM

Default Re: Utilizing Drum Loops

Hey...!
I personaly use Steven Slate Drums, it's very good for all Pop Rock stuff (you can have a listen at few samples on the official website !) It comes with some pretty MIDI parts & Grooves.
Addictive Drums by XLN is really good aswell, the main advantage over the SSD is that the midi sequences are included in the GUI whereas you have to import MIDI files with SSD.
That's just a personal point of view...Get demos and see if it fits your needs!

Good Luck
DIY Intel Core 2 Quad, P5B Premium,DDR2 6GB, Win 7 Ultimate.
PTLE 8.0.4
002R Unit and MBox Mini
SSL XLogic Alpha Channel.
SPL Goldmike valve Preamp.
DBX Analog Compressors, Gate and Eq.
Monster Cables
Home made & Neutrik Patchbay.
Brauner, Shure, Seinnheiser and T.Bone mikes.
Tannoy 8D Active monitors.
Old 02-27-2011, 06:54 AM

I'll give a thumbs up for ezdrummer. Create a stereo instrument track. Insert ezdrummer in the top slot. Open ez and click on the GROOVES, which opens all the midi grooves in columns for styles. double-click on the loops(far right column). When you find what you want, drag it to the track and drop it(use GRID mode and the loops snap to the grid). Once you have your performance built, you can feel free to edit like any other midi with the piano roll or midi edit window. Add/remove drum hits with the mouse. Works like a charm, If you have any drumming skills, an electronic kit or trigger pad(like M-Audio Trigger Finger)can be used to play your parts in live. This may all work with Slate, but I've never used it. BTW, ez has a bunch of add-on kits, but even better is Superior Drummer. Adding that later will expand you more as it allows you to use all the ezdrummer kits too, and you can even drag in drums from various kits to create custom kits(which I know can be done with the other drum packages too). ezdrummer allows you to start on a budget and expand as you go/grow

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-27-2011, 10:34 AM

Thanks guys for the help!. I will begin the research and try to pick one that suits me best. I've watched demos on the EZ drummer, Steven Slate Drums, BFD2, ect.. They all sound pretty awesome. Wish me luck, and thanks again!!!
Old 02-28-2011, 09:18 AM

didn't you get BFD lite with you pt????
it has loops, you can drag them onto an instrument track and change as needed
Old 02-28-2011, 09:23 AM

The only loops I can find are the ones that are included in the songwriting session templates. Are you describing the drum patterns in the "Boom" plugin (I think that's what it's called)? If not please fill me in.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:06 AM

I'll put in an additional plug in for Addictive Drums by XLN. Very easy to drag and drop their samples in to a MIDI track in PT, and then edit away to your liking. I think these drum samples sound very realistic.
Eleven Rack (live rig and studio rig!!)
Win7 * 003R * PT 11
Old 02-28-2011, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardove04 View Post
The only loops I can find are the ones that are included in the songwriting session templates. Are you describing the drum patterns in the "Boom" plugin (I think that's what it's called)? If not please fill me in.
no I was referring to the midi groove and fill patterns included with the BFD lite plug inn.....it came with pro tools when I got it, maybe it doesn't come with it now, I'm not sure, but if you have the pluginn, you have the midi grooves, I use them often for clik tracks...much better them a standard clik if you are willing to take the time to find and adjust the right one
Old 02-28-2011, 11:55 AM

Talking Re: Utilizing Drum Loops

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulreed View Post
no I was referring to the midi groove and fill patterns included with the BFD lite plug inn.....it came with pro tools when I got it, maybe it doesn't come with it now, I'm not sure, but if you have the pluginn, you have the midi grooves, I use them often for clik tracks...much better them a standard clik if you are willing to take the time to find and adjust the right one

I'm not at my workstation at the moment, but I will look into this when I get home. Thanks a lot for your support.
Old 02-28-2011, 12:08 PM

Just a thought, but every single issue of Computer Magazine comes with hundreds of free sample loops of every variety, including all sorts of drum stuff. There are both individual drum samples, loops, and MIDI loops. There are new ones every month, so after a few issues, you'll be well stocked! I find many of them quite usable and good quality...and they are free and royalty free!