Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2005, 10:12 AM

Default Re: Laptop Pro Tools users at 100% CPU load - UNIT

I have a IBM Thinkpad T43p :
2.13 Ghz processor
2.0 Gbyte RAM

I have the same problem as written over her :
As soon as Pro tools is opened, CPU soars to 100% , and I can not record or play anything at all.
My old Dell Inspiron 8200 is even better. Here I can record 5 tracks ...
Old 12-12-2005, 01:44 AM

Default Re: Laptop Pro Tools users at 100% CPU load - UNIT

Quote:
I have a IBM Thinkpad T43p :
2.13 Ghz processor
2.0 Gbyte RAM

I have the same problem as written over her :
As soon as Pro tools is opened, CPU soars to 100% , and I can not record or play anything at all.
My old Dell Inspiron 8200 is even better. Here I can record 5 tracks ...
I apologize, because sometimes I ramble on, but I am curious.. This may only apply to M-Box owners.
I have an Mbox and a Digi 001, no 002,002R.

I have an Averatec computer AMD xp-m 2000 Mobile Athlon/m-box that exhibits this same behaviour.
Could not get it to play or record 1 track. I am on SP-1, never bothered upgrading, as I can see
it probably would not have mattered.

Bench tested every known tweak for over 6 months.

Installed version 5.3 Pro tools, and it runs Perfect! Probably got 32+1 on Dave-C, don't remember?

I could record for hours non-stop like a tank, would use it to record 2-3 hour band sessions
(only 2 tracks)

Point is..(and I have read every word of this thread), and I understand most are getting great
performance, just overheating, and high CPU usage.. But has anyone tried installing PT 5.X version?
(I think m-box needs 5.3)

If so do you still get cpu @ 100%, because mine was in the red all the time even in diagnostic
mode, and could not play or record 1 track, the computer refused to even start. Installed 5.3
and "BAM" the thing just rocks! (BTW I own a digi 001 also, and had a disc with 5.3, My digi 001
runs 6.4 on my dektop)

Now, it sucks that I can not use any 6.X plugs or cool ASIO/rewire, or other plugs that came with
my bundled version of 6.4 (I am actually looking for a new laptop because I am sick of being
crippled, that is what brought me to this thread, I have had good luck with Dell and my Dell
desktop is bullet proof/ well almost )

I wonder if something happenned, code wise between 5.3 and 6.X series of PT??

Because I went from 6.4, push space bar 15 times and the dumb thing won't even fire, with every
service disabled, wireless disabled, every optimization, done, digi approved firewire card,
external 7200 rpm oxford 911 chip hard drive, etc...
Everything!...To 5.3 and I could surf the internet wirelessly, check my email, and play solitare,
all while simultaneously recording two tracks and playing back a full 24+ track mix with heavy plugs??

I am baffled, but maybe this will inpire someone to try it?? It sounds backwards and stupid,
but you might be surprised?

BTW I can even record to my usb 2.0 external drive just fine with this setup (firewire drive/case
was huge and I stopped using it)

I will follow this and see if anyone has any luck? BTW I started way back in 2000 with my digi 001
and my Pentium III / via chipset nightmare machine, so I have become very profficient at "Pro tools
tweaking" over the years if you know what I mean?!!
Zalman CNPS9500 cooling Fan
ASUS EAH3450 512MB Radeon 64 bit video
SIIG 1394 PCI firewire
Corsair 650 Watt power supply
Corsair 4GB DDR2 1066 ram
2X Western Digital Caviar 640GB SATA 3.0Gb/s
Lite-On 20x DVD-r
Dual 22" Hannspree LCD

Control 24/Digi 003R/PT10/RME ADI-8/Waves SSL/Waves Platinum/URS CSP/IK Total Studio 2 bundle/Massey/Strike/MPTK 1
Old 12-12-2005, 05:47 PM

Default Re: Laptop Pro Tools users at100% CPU load - UNITE

Hi Guys- have the same 100% cpu problem on a ibm thinkpad t42p 1gig ram. But my problem isnt just with fan noise, its with multi-tasking. Any ETA on this- im seriously thinking about returning the mbox and grabing an emu1616m.

jon
Old 12-18-2005, 01:45 AM

I just think we can forget Protools and MBox, and find another product. I have 3 different Labtops at the moment:

IBM T43p with 2Gbyte RAM ( 2,13 Ghz )
Dell Latitude 1,6 Ghz ( " Gbyte RAM )
Dell Inspiron 8200, 1,2 Ghz with 512 Mbyte RAM

I also have both versions of MBox:
MBox 1 and MBox 2. ( I can affort it ! )

I have best results on my old Dell Inspiron, where I can record some tracks....
The 2 other PC's with Centrino processors, I can not do anything !

So I guess I will start playing my guitar again, after 6 months with BIOS, defragments, USB hubs, diskeeper, Everest, ....
Old 12-24-2005, 10:11 PM

Are we just out of luck with this? I just bought an Mbox 2 that just plain will not work with my brand new Dell Latitude D610. I have reformatted the hard drive and reinstalled everything from scratch. I have tried every tweak there is including the "F5" Windows installation. Funny thing is; I also have an Inspiron 5160 that the Mbox works flawlessly on. What gives? It must be the chipset but the Latitudes chipset is on the compatibility list.

BTW-My DIGI002 works fine with a PCMCIA card and the Latitude.

Very frustrating!

~Rowland
Old 12-27-2005, 03:23 AM

Hi, now I'm not frustrated anymore...

I took my Dell Latitude D600 with 2 gig RAM and my new MBOX2, and put it in the recycle bin !
That helped a lot !
Now , I feel much better !!

CPU: Intel Core i9-10980XE
Motherboard: Gigabyte X299X AORUS MASTER E-ATX
RAM: 64 GB Crucial Ballistix Sport LT DDR4
Screen card: MSI GeForce GTX 1660 VENTUS XS OC
Old 12-28-2005, 04:02 AM

I also installed the 7.0 version, and hooked it up with MBox 2 . Same result.

My IBM Thinkpad T43p with 2 Gbyte RAM and 2.13 Ghz CPU cannot run anything called MBox.

Regarding chipset:
I don't belive chipset is the problem. I've tried 3 differrent external USB hubs, with 3 different chipset without luck.

If anyone can fix my problem I will be very happy.
Old 12-28-2005, 01:21 PM

Hello. I thought I had already participated in this thread with my experience but I guess I have not. I also have a Dell Inspiron 8600. And I also have seen the 100% CPU usage in the Task Manager. However I have never had any heat or fan problems. About the only issue I have ever had with this laptop and Pro Tools is the 'USB interrupt' errors and those were completely eliminated by disabling the wireless adapter on it.

I have used this laptop in conjunction with an Mbox, a 002 and an Mbox 2 and have never had the heat or fan issues described by some of the users here. I often use it to record long, long takes (20-30 minutes or more). After disabling the wireless port on it, I have flawless performance from the system. Flawless. Quite dependable and never get an issue of fan or heat.

The fan does kick in every now and again, but just for a little bit. And this happens when I am using it with other applications as well. This happens with all laptops as a matter of fact, the fan needing to kick in from time to time. However it has never been what is described by some here.

Dell Inspiron 8600, Centrino 1.5, Service Pack 2. I had Service Pack 1 for a while, and Pro Tools versions from about 6.0 and up until my current 7.0. All have worked as I have described.

By the way, for those that do get excessive heat from their laptops, whether from Pro Tools or otherwise, you may want to try this.

Very Handy Item

I use it with my laptop most of the time. It's very handy and practical and it may alleviate some of your heat issues. For those curious, my Dell never had the heat or fan issues before I started using the Laptop Desk, so that hasn't been a factor in my case.

As for Digidesign not responding in a while, I think they may have already said all they will say on the matter. On their last post on this thread they went to great lengths to explain why they do what they do. It's because of the DAE that Pro Tools uses to communicate between the hardware and the computer. That is also why you can only use Pro Tools with Digidesign or M Audio hardware. Because it needs to 'see' the DAE.

Because of this and what they explained there, I dare say this will probably never change. Manufacturers will make laptops that throttle CPU speeds. Pro Tools and specifically DAE needs a 'fixed' speed. This is how they achieve it.

I suppose we can never say never, but I think it's a pretty educated guess that unless Digidesign makes a version of Pro Tools that doesn't run off DAE, this issue will always be there.

However, they should just really come in and say so, instead of leaving vague references to 'we are looking into it' which really just serves to leave users wondering and angry. They really should just set the record straight.

Good luck.
Old 12-28-2005, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Hi, now I'm not frustrated anymore...

I took my Dell Latitude D600 with 2 gig RAM and my new MBOX2, and put it in the recycle bin !
That helped a lot !
Now , I feel much better !!

Ha ha, indeed. I think I might try that soon.
Old 12-29-2005, 01:49 AM

Quote:
I also installed the 7.0 version, and hooked it up with MBox 2 . Same result.

My IBM Thinkpad T43p with 2 Gbyte RAM and 2.13 Ghz CPU cannot run anything called MBox.

Regarding chipset:
I don't belive chipset is the problem. I've tried 3 differrent external USB hubs, with 3 different chipset without luck.

If anyone can fix my problem I will be very happy.

...don't give up !!
Soon you can try the new PTLE 8 version. I guess it will have a lot of new fancy functionality !!

CPU: Intel Core i9-10980XE
Motherboard: Gigabyte X299X AORUS MASTER E-ATX
RAM: 64 GB Crucial Ballistix Sport LT DDR4
Screen card: MSI GeForce GTX 1660 VENTUS XS OC